LOC nosecone shock cord attachment methods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all! I would like to see pictures of how you all attached the shock cords to LOC (and other) plastic nose cones. Not the cut off the bottom and glue in the bulkhead style, just the simple quick kevlar cord methods...
I've always just used the little loop on the cone. I just quick link the cord to the loop, and the chute to the quick link, so the little loop has no load, other than the cone's own weight. I've never lost a cone yet, but I figure the law of averages is less and less on my side. SO, to that end, I'd like to see what you did and how it's worked for you so far.
Thanks!

What I have done is to drill a couple holes, feed 1/8” Kevlar through the holes, and tie a knot. I usually then put a little laminating epoxy in the knot as well.

If I think of it next time I am in the basement I will snap a picture.

Not sure if you just want to see methods using the stock NC with no adaptations, but I put an eyebolt through the hole in the base on this one. I cut the window with a hot scalpel, having first drilled four holes to round the corners. Since I've started using trackers I've 'converted' to the sawn off base/ bulk head Coker method. The neatest and lightest method seems to be to drill two holes in the base of the NC then loop the shock cord through those and tie - no metal at all.

Fantom nosecone.jpg

This is one I added weight to the bottom of the nose cone. The forged eyebolt is for recovery attachment. The weight, 1Kg of metal parts buried in epoxy, comes to about the black line below the window.
IMG_20180427_044058.jpg

I cut off the base and put a 1/4" plywood bulkhead with a t-nut above the shoulder. This creates enough space for an av bay. LOC NC.jpg

Back