Should I?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciouspeanut

Reaction score
So my EZI has fins glassed with 6 oz (one layer) and beyond that and DD is built stock with 30 min epoxy and foamed fin can. I am debating going for lvl 2 this weekend on a CTI J285 and it sims to 650 ft/s. I know the EZI has a fin shape prone to flutter, but that speed is well below the mach .7 I've seen thrown around.

I do have a Formula 98 waiting for chutes, retainer, etc that was originally the plan for LVL 2 on a J293, but this is ready so I'm starting to wonder.

Thoughts? Weather is supposed to be perfect for this launch with a 2 mph wind, hence my desire to take advantage!

Go for it. The worst that could happen is that it shreds, and that doesn't seem all that likely given the robust construction you describe.

I assume you've done DD before? A cert flight is the wrong time to do it for the first time IMHO.

I just put it into Finsim and at sea level using the pines method it puts the divergence at mach .67 and flutter at .91. The U vs. G method puts divergence at 1.05 and flutter at .7 mach. This is for standard 1/8" birch ply fins. With your fiberglassing you should be fine as long as you don't put it over those speeds. The fiberglassing will easily give you much more wiggle room over those numbers, but still I wouldn't fly it on anything that will put it over the divergence or flutter speeds.

Awesome, thank you so much! I used Thrustcurve for those numbers, but I have an accurate openrocket file at home I'll run and make sure it stays down below those.

Also - I have flown it DD successfully. Not into new things for certs!

Go for it - just my opinion so take for whatever you think its worth.
I flew mine, with a standard fin can and dual deploy, on a J270 and I plan on flying it again next month on a J350.

Rocket sims to Mach .57 so it is a go. Charges loaded and ready to go. Test studied and practice taken. We will see!

Good luck! I forgot to press record on the on-board camera when I did mine, and the shutter was closed on the camcorder, so I have no video of my L2. Don't be like me lol.

Well flight didn't end up happening, but the test was passed so flight will be next launch. Found a fillet crack and wasn't comfortable launching it on the J with it.

Back