What color is the Estes Protostar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been told "Platinum" or "Pewter" by females (who see in 16.2 million colors) !!

protostar.jpg

Goal is to find this color in a rattle can. Metallic paints are looking good.

What paint would/did you use?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

I don't know, but I have just started this kit, so I will be watching this thread.

I've been told "Platinum" or "Pewter" by females (who see in 16.2 million colors) !!

protostar.jpg

Goal is to find this color in a rattle can. Metallic paints are looking good.

What paint would/did you use?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Maybe Krylon Short Cuts Chrome with a Krylon clear coat?

I about drove myself nuts trying to find the perfect color for the Protostar. Rustoleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver is pretty close. Valspar Metallic Matte Metal Brushed Nickel (66005) is also pretty close. I ended up going away from the face card and went with Krylon Color Master Brushed Metallic Champagne Nouveau with a Gloss Krylon Clear. I decided the Champagne gave it that retro feel I was looking for, without having to fret about it matching the face card exactly.

**Please excuse the mess. We were in the middle of about 6 projects when I took that photo...**

-Aaron

Protostar-Full.jpg

Protostar-Fin Pod.jpg

I personally couldn’t find a silve that I liked. I ended up using Miricle brand silver metallic and am happy with the color outcome.
3PuZwP.jpg

Some great ideas! Thank you! Thanks for showing your Protostars - they all look great - especially w decals (they really make the rocket beautiful)!

I really like the look on the face card, and want to emulate it - def high gloss finish! Didn't someone paint the white light streaks directly on the rocket - like on the nose of the Protostars face stock?

"Didn't someone paint the white light streaks directly on the rocket - like on the nose of the Protostars face stock?"

The white streaks are reflections of light against the silver chrome paint (to make it look more 3 dimensional), and aren't part of the paint scheme.

Contacting John Boren aka Jumpjet here on TRF might answer the question as he is the designer of the Protostar and most likely built the model on the kit facecard.

may take some work, but try some C1 metallizer over a slightly off white primer. Miniature painters use plastic spoons to try out new colors, if you want to tinker a bit...

https://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

@rharshberger - For some reason, I remember him saying he flies his birds naked.

may take some work, but try some C1 metallizer over a slightly off white primer. Miniature painters use plastic spoons to try out new colors, if you want to tinker a bit...

https://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

@rharshberger - For some reason, I remember him saying he flies his birds naked.

John may fly his rockets naked, but if he built the one used on the kits facecard he would probably know the color or he might be able to find out if he knows who built it.

The model on the face card isn't a built up model but done by our VG person. I think the last real model used on a panel was the Quinstar.

I used silver for a few of our test models. So anything silverish in color will work.

John Boren

"Didn't someone paint the white light streaks directly on the rocket - like on the nose of the Protostars face stock?"

The white streaks are reflections of light against the silver chrome paint (to make it look more 3 dimensional), and aren't part of the paint scheme.

I swear someone here made those light streak part of the paint job on their rocket? Maybe I was just thinkin of that girl's legs?! :)

So who's going to be the first modeler to do a Steampunk version. It' the first thing I thought of when I was designing this model.

John Boren

So who's going to be the first modeler to do a Steampunk version. It' the first thing I thought of when I was designing this model.

John Boren

The first thing I though was who will be the first to do a 4x upscale!

I about drove myself nuts trying to find the perfect color for the Protostar. Rustoleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver is pretty close. Valspar Metallic Matte Metal Brushed Nickel (66005) is also pretty close. I ended up going away from the face card and went with Krylon Color Master Brushed Metallic Champagne Nouveau with a Gloss Krylon Clear. I decided the Champagne gave it that retro feel I was looking for, without having to fret about it matching the face card exactly.

**Please excuse the mess. We were in the middle of about 6 projects when I took that photo...**

-Aaron

That is a really nice color. Where did you find it? It look like it keeps a nice luster with the clear, which isn’t always the case for metallics.

That is a really nice color. Where did you find it? It look like it keeps a nice luster with the clear, which isn’t always the case for metallics.

Pretty sure this one came from Hobby Lobby.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ne-Krylon-Brushed-Metallic-Spray-Paint/p/1355

I'll have to look when I get home, but I think I went with a Krylon Semi-Gloss over the top. The Champagne is a little different on the metallic end, instead of a "flake" type metallic, if you look close enough, it is more a "strand" metallic. I'll try to take a close up later and see if I can get it to show on my phone camera. Either way, Yes, it does keep a nice luster, especially once it is out in the sun.

-Aaron

Pretty sure this one came from Hobby Lobby.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ne-Krylon-Brushed-Metallic-Spray-Paint/p/1355

I'll have to look when I get home, but I think I went with a Krylon Semi-Gloss over the top. The Champagne is a little different on the metallic end, instead of a "flake" type metallic, if you look close enough, it is more a "strand" metallic. I'll try to take a close up later and see if I can get it to show on my phone camera. Either way, Yes, it does keep a nice luster, especially once it is out in the sun.

-Aaron

A close-up pic be great! I have a sci-fi rocket I'm working on and am starting to think about paint colors. I'd like a metallic other than silver, but a lot of the golds are a bit too gold. This looks like a nice color in between.

John Boren

I'm in...just....
just as soon as finances let me....I love me some steam punk

Bought a Protostar kit last week, and have the 'concept' drawing worked up.
Will be starting the actual build around the first of June, documented with a running build thread on my blog.

Protostar kit .jpg20180518_072707.jpg

Back