You Gotta See What I Caught at Around 1:45 of My Onboard Video!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0356.jpg

My eleven feet tall, 20 pound, 6" to 4" to 3" to 1.6" Blue Tube rocket with a golf ball as a nosecone- aptly named "Pointless". Launched at Midwest Blast 3 last Sunday in Three Oaks, MI. Rocket was made mostly from leftover parts and pieces from other scratch projects. Dual camcorders- one looking down and positioned in the fin section, and one beneath the golf ball nose looking up. Aerotech K1100 54mm Blue Thunder reload.

I used dual altimeters for the main chute ejection charge; one set for 500 feet and the other for 300 feet. The 500 feet charge fired as expected, and the main chute deployed. As the nose camcorder was pointed down, the rocket body passed beneath it, just as the 300 feet charge fired!

I've slowed the video down at that point (around 1:45) so the ejection charge firing can be seen more easily. The white puff of smoke and the sound of the "crack" of the charge firing is something that I've never caught on one of my onboard videos since I picked the hobby back up nine years ago.

[video=youtube;Zk3xcIDPBNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3xcIDPBNw[/video]

Mike Momenee
TRA# 12430 L3

Buy some lottery tickets... the odd's of catching that are phenomenal! Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Pointless.jpg

Great stuff! It's always fascinating to catch these sort of things. Some time ago, reviewing some onboard footage I managed to freeze frame the orange flash of the apogee charge. It happens too fast to see when viewed at normal speed.

Apogee charge detonation.png

It's fun to data mine the videos. Sometimes, you simply find great views of the horizon. But other times, you find little treasures in one or two frames.vlcsnap-2016-04-19-12h52m58s964.jpg

Mike Momenee
TRA# 12430 L3

IMG_0799.jpg

In my level 3 flight yesterday, I caught this.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
View attachment 343864

Another of my older favs- an unintended drag race, as both high power pads are mistakenly ignited.

Now there's something you don't see very often! :cool:.

A couple of new screen shots from this weekend - another of the apogee electronic charge firing (I seem to be getting good at catching these...:)) and the smoke from the motor eject back up just afterwards.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 15.17.24.png:Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 15.19.55.png

Alt was 4862' (according to the SLCF). Motor CTI J380

Back