Bondo Spot Putty?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC_Rocket_Man

Reaction score
I see people talk about Bondo Spot Putty in a tube.

Are people referring to the Bondo 907 Glazing & Spot Putty or the Bondo 801 Professional Glazing & Spot Putty?

Thanks in advance.

I have the 907, but my suspicion is that the 801 would probably be fine as well.

I use the 907 as well, iirc the professional is a two part type. The 907 is a high solids lacquer base I believe.

801 is a completely different animal...a 3 oz tube of the same 2-part Bondo filler that is also sold in much larger cans. It's a catalyzed polyester resin that cures very rapidly (3-5 mins working time). It's your friend if you're doing serious fiberglass work that may need some amount of fairing and leveling. If you need it, you're likely to need more than a 3oz tube. I usually get the pint cans...used about half a can glassing out a Madcow BOMARC. Unlike the lacquer based spot putty, the 2-part stuff does not shrink and can be used in much thicker layers where the spot putty would take a really long time to dry.

Thanks everyone.

I definitely don't need the two part. I'm just cleaning up the BT where I hacked off the launch lugs.

A Pep Boys on the way home has it.

So I really like this Bondo spot putty. Easy to use. Fast to dry. Sands really nicely. Used an old visa gift card with no money left on it as a scraper/shaper.

My opinions thus far are all with workability. Nothing on durability.

Is there a reason (other than the fumes) not to use this spot putty to fill spirals in cardboard tubes?

So I really like this Bondo spot putty. Easy to use. Fast to dry. Sands really nicely. Used an old visa gift card with no money left on it as a scraper/shaper.

Is there a reason (other than the fumes) not to use this spot putty to fill spirals in cardboard tubes?

Bump?

No
Steve

no reason not to. it may require longer dry time as the putty usually skins over then whats underneath still has to dry.
plus since it dries instead of cure( 2 part putties cure), it might shrink requiring a second application.

I have used Bondo putty to fill spirals, but in my opinion thinned CWF is better for that.

I recently tried a new (to me) method of filling spirals. I applied spot putty to the spirals straight from the tube, doing a few inches at a time. After applying it I immediately wiped off the excess with a paper towel. It seemed to work really well, filling the groove but leaving little excess to sand off

I also use 907. I don't have any experience with other products as I have not had a reason to use anything other than 907 for minor filling.

+1 on 907.

I recently tried a new (to me) method of filling spirals. I applied spot putty to the spirals straight from the tube, doing a few inches at a time. After applying it I immediately wiped off the excess with a paper towel. It seemed to work really well, filling the groove but leaving little excess to sand off

Yep, and if you want to expedite the process, a few minutes with a hair dryer fast-forwards you to the sanding stage in 5-10 minutes.
FWIW, I fill all imperfections (spirals, balsa grain, etc) in one pass, then hair-dry it, then sand it in 1-2-3 sequence.

a

Back