Model Rocket History: Herb Desind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
Hi, All,
I have spent the last couple of days locating and putting together all of the material I have - letters and photos - concerning my correspondence-based friendship with Herb Desind ('Mr. Cineroc'), back in the late 70s. Rather than post all of this on the forum, I invite you to visit my blog (link below), where I will be posting this stuff in a series spanning the next few weeks.

Thanks for that... I wish I could have met or corresponded with Herb. Unfortunately, TRF wasn't around during my early forays into the hobby.

Got to know him when I was a kid in the early 80's at the Goddard launches, great guy

Hi, All,
I have spent the last couple of days locating and putting together all of the material I have - letters and photos - concerning my correspondence-based friendship with Herb Desind ('Mr. Cineroc'), back in the late 70s. Rather than post all of this on the forum, I invite you to visit my blog (link below), where I will be posting this stuff in a series spanning the next few weeks.

I’m not sure where your blog link is. I view using Tapatalk which does not display the sig. I suspect that’s where the link is.

Edit: by clicking on your username and viewing your profile I was able to see your signature which includes the link. Nice!

Last edited:
Hey,
Does anyone have a copy (paper or pdf) of Herb Desind's article "Rear-view Astrocam" in the June 1980 volume of Model Rocketeer? It seems to me this was the first published account of how to turn around Estes best selling rocket camera, upon which the later articles (1993, 1995) were based, and is thus a rather important piece of history. The nearest I came was seeing a large batch of Model Rocketeer volumes on ebay not too long ago but I couldn't get the guy to sell me the one separately. Can someone please scan this and post the pdf for posterity?
Thanks!

Hey,
Does anyone have a copy (paper or pdf) of Herb Desind's article "Rear-view Astrocam" in the June 1980 volume of Model Rocketeer? It seems to me this was the first published account of how to turn around Estes best selling rocket camera, upon which the later articles (1993, 1995) were based, and is thus a rather important piece of history. The nearest I came was seeing a large batch of Model Rocketeer volumes on ebay not too long ago but I couldn't get the guy to sell me the one separately. Can someone please scan this and post the pdf for posterity?
Thanks!

I know a copy can be found in the members section of nar.org in the magazine archive. I was just looking something up last weekend; they go back to '72.

I know a copy can be found in the members section of nar.org in the magazine archive. I was just looking something up last weekend; they go back to '72.

Thanks! Been wanting to read that for years.

First met Herb Desind at some NARAM in the 1970's, maybe 1976, and saw him fly Cinerocs at several NARAMs. Also saw at least one of his edited-together movies of many flights.

In 1988, I was doing an R&D project on Sunguidance. The models worked, but I wanted to document the onboard action using a Cineroc. Herb agreed to help. I sent Herb five Cineroc cartridges. He loaded 10 feet into each one (from a 50 foot roll) and mailed them back to me. I made five flights, then sent the cartridges to Herb. He spliced the five 10 foot strips together and loaded them into a 50 foot cartridge, and sent it to Kodak to process as a "Damaged cartridge" (which apparently is how he had his done once Estes no longer did). After Kodak sent the processed film back to Herb, he then sent it to me. He said it as among the neatest Cineroc footage he'd seen, and it was quite fitting that Herb was involved in making it possible to do. The Cineroc footage is in this video starting at about 2:20.

[video=youtube;I6ZFSSBQNT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZFSSBQNT0[/video]

Last edited:
Just as an FYI: a short reel of Herb's Cineroc flights was included on the DVD package created for the 2008 Old Rocketeer Reunion.

[video=youtube;1Mpey7IDAB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mpey7IDAB0[/video]

The complete DVD package is available from NARTS.

James

Back