Crapshoot Muskegon, MI June 23 &24 25k waiver!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not be afraid of the Big Icky. It's a right of passage in Muskegon. :)
The wind is the biggest deal. With that said, I have a really nice 3in fiberglass rocket in the icky some where. If you can find it, it's all yours.

You are not making it sound any better!

Landing in a small pond is bad luck. Landing in a 1700 acre lake next to the range head has more statistical certainty.

Check the winds aloft. They may not be the same as on the ground. The "Windy" app is good for that.

Any food at the launch, or do I need to dredge something out of the big icky? Also, what does it cost?

I'm hoping to make it. Is there preferred lodging so the out-of-towners can yack in the evening?

I know a few guys are staying here:

Springhill Suites
450 Center drive, Grand Rapids.
Back behind the Hobby Lobby.

I would avoid the tempting low prices in Muskegon heights...

I’m still debating whether I want to camp or get a hotel . There is a campground ( wolf lake ) about 5 minutes away.

Is Muskegon Heights bedbug central?

I usually prefer camping...does Wolf Lake take reservations? If they're first-come-first-served are there usually sites available?

I usually prefer camping...does Wolf Lake take reservations? If they're first-come-first-served are there usually sites available?

Muskegon heights is a bad part of town stayed there once. We’re still alive and nothing was stolen ...but didn’t feel safe

You can make reservations. There are a lot of sites I don’t think it would fill up .

https://www.campingmuskegon.com/reservation.html

Thanks for the info.

Should I bring a cheap Estes to sacrifice to the Big Icky so it doesn't eat my higher-dollar stuff? Should I bring my kayak? Will the Big Icky eat the hull of my kayak?

Thanks for the info.

Should I bring a cheap Estes to sacrifice to the Big Icky so it doesn't eat my higher-dollar stuff? Should I bring my kayak? Will the Big Icky eat the hull of my kayak?

I think you should put a motor and rail buttons on your kayak. What’s the worst that could happen?!?

Think there's a business opportunity in kayaking around the Big Icky in a hazmat suit, recovering rockets and disinfecting them, and re-selling them? Kind of like those golf ball people do on golf courses?

Think there's a business opportunity in kayaking around the Big Icky in a hazmat suit, recovering rockets and disinfecting them, and re-selling them? Kind of like those golf ball people do on golf courses?

I’ll give you gps coordinates to one....

Don't plan on wolf lake unless self contained , pm inbound

What’s wrong with wolf lake ? we’ve stayed there a couple times? Never had any problems.

I will only be there for Saturday- are both days EX/Research days?

Bump- forecast is looking good. What is the price per day for non club members?

That's the member price
10 for low 20 for high for non members. Kids are free.

Normally yes. But not for the crapshoot.

Crapshoot 2018

Saturday & Sunday, June 23rd & 24th, 2018
10am to 6pm
Joint launch with JMRC. Potluck grill. Please bring something to share. Bottled water supplied, bring your own soda pop.
Themed Sport Launch
***Crappy Rocket Day***
Bring your crappy rockets for a chance to win the Crappiest Rocket Award!
See map page for directions.
Muskegon County Wastewater Facility
Muskegon, Michigan
LAUNCH FEES FOR CRAPSHOOT ONLY!
$5 LOW POWER/$10 HIGH POWER
PER DAY

forecast is looking like low clouds tomorrow, but maybe it'll improve. Hoping I could at least get 3k, but we'll see.

There will be nitrous and gse on the field I will have 38mm cloned skyripper reloads free if you want to fly hybrids This weekend.

I may hit you up on that - sounds cool! Will be there sometime in the morning tomorrow.

Great launch today! Got two EX motors up. Unfortunately got there too late to see Danh’s K hybrid. Next time! And I stayed out of the icky!

I had a great time. Didn't recover my rocket, but I have a good idea where it is.
I think the main popped at 14K ft and it drifted south for a very long time.
Here is the flight video.

That was a cool flight. To bad it went straight into the sun . No one had eyes on it after that.

I thought you had a tracker on it?

Back