Crapshoot Muskegon, MI June 23 &24 25k waiver!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might make the drive up...I have a place to stay up there, and my rockets would definitely like a 25k waiver :)

So, I don't really want to know the answer to this, but how deep is the "big icky" pond anyway? And how "icky" is it?

So, I don't really want to know the answer to this, but how deep is the "big icky" pond anyway? And how "icky" is it?

te he he he. Been there, done that! :wink:

Too deep, and really icky! :eek:

Want a link to a fun read?:cool:

I’m not sure of the depth , it’s not raw sewage floating around. But you don’t want to go swimming in it either.

There is a boat for those who dare to venture out there.

"3 mile poop row"

I was expecting you to lose the oars half way through and have to use your hands to paddle the rest of the way :)

There will be two, two hour windows for the 25K waiver.
If you plan on going over 16K, you will need to schedule it with the club.
Sorry , rob hadn’t mentioned that it was call ins yesterday . He did just give me the times . I edited the post.

So if we go over 16k, is there a form, or just send an email with "here is what I'm doing"?

I don’t think we will be lined up for those windows.
As of now There are only 2-3 flights I know of ( from jmrc ) going over 16k.

One guy in our club is hopeing to fly an 0-25,000

Im planning to put my 3” punisher up with an Loki L-1400.

I also have a 6ft long 38mm research hybrid motor that I want to fly minimum diameter.

There are lots of other cool projects planned but won’t be using the waiver.

Last edited:
I also have a 6ft long 38mm research hybrid motor that I want to fly minimum diameter.

So EX is allowed? I thought these were NAR clubs?

I have no idea what i'll fly :)

Yes ex is allowed. I will have several ex motors to fly. Ap, sugar , nitrous...

Jmrc is both , but fly with the Tripoli research rules at most launch’s .

I asked rob from mmar/smash to make it available for research motors . He said he would.

I don’t think we will be lined up for those windows.
As of now There are only 2-3 flights I know of ( from jmrc ) going over 16k.

One guy in our club is hopeing to fly an 0-25,000

Im planning to put my 3” punisher up with an Loki L-1400.

There are lots of other cool projects planned but won’t be using the waiver.

Last I checked we don't have a pad out far enough for O motors. But I'm sure a trailer can be parked out somewhere, I know we've done N motors before.

Do you need any cidery recommendations for that area?
Tons of Cider mills in the area, though I don't drink so recommendations are going to be thin from me. I do have a friend who makes hard cider, maybe I can convince him to come out one day. I will mention Farm House cider, but only because they put on a bike ride I enjoy twice a year.

Tons of Cider mills in the area, though I don't drink so recommendations are going to be thin from me. I do have a friend who makes hard cider, maybe I can convince him to come out one day. I will mention Farm House cider, but only because they put on a bike ride I enjoy twice a year.

Farmhaus does some good work. VanderMill has a few things that Glen and Roberta would enjoy - but they’ve relocated to Grand Rapids. Virtue is more on the wild side.

Last I checked we don't have a pad out far enough for O motors. But I'm sure a trailer can be parked out somewhere, I know we've done N motors before.

The trailer/tower is being repaired once the new springs are on it . It will be towed to its new home in Muskegon .

Quick question- do you guys normally have any vendors on site?

25K east of the Mississippi sounds awesome, but I am leery of the recovery area. Any rocket in that altitude range can drift a mile or two very easily. The Big Icky to the south is a mere 1000 ft from the range head, and the dense woods to the north look to be in play as well. What is the general recovery experience from past big flights?

Each one of the circles on the map are ~ 1/2 mile across. There is plenty of recovery area.
That being said if there is a N/ NE wind I will be hesitant to fly very high.

25K east of the Mississippi sounds awesome, but I am leery of the recovery area. Any rocket in that altitude range can drift a mile or two very easily. The Big Icky to the south is a mere 1000 ft from the range head, and the dense woods to the north look to be in play as well. What is the general recovery experience from past big flights?

Do not be afraid of the Big Icky. It's a right of passage in Muskegon. :)
The wind is the biggest deal. With that said, I have a really nice 3in fiberglass rocket in the icky some where. If you can find it, it's all yours.

Back