Anyone here do .DXF files ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
I'm working up concepts/plans for the next big scratchbuild...

Custom 12.5 " centering rings with six motor mount holes (29 and 38mm) and one central 75mm might be less expensive if I provided the .DFX file rather than have a laser cutter work from a sketch .....

Go check out https://onshape.com - full on 3D cad in your browser, free if you're OK with your files being publicly visible. If you create a 2d sketch and right click it, one of the options is to export to DXF/DWG. It should not be very hard to draw up what you need.

If you only need 2D CAD, LibreCAD is free and easy to use. That's what I used to design the fin parts for my Square Rocket which were cut by UpscaleCNC.

I can router cut these for you, depending on material choice. As for the file, for something simple like this I can draw it up quickly. Best thing is to know what tubes you're using and I'd draw and cut to fit, rather than just hit a target dimension that may or may not actually be a good fit for the tube. Central hole is easy, would need to know the desired radius for the cluster holes. Lots of space for them with a ring this large.

email at natkinsey AT gmail.com

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

Last edited:
I can router cut these for you, depending on material choice. As for the file, for something simple like this I can draw it up quickly. Best thing is to know what tubes you're using and I'd draw and cut to fit, rather than just hit a target dimension that may or may not actually be a good fit for the tube. Central hole is easy, would need to know the desired radius for the cluster holes. Lots of space for them with a ring this large.

email at natkinsey AT gmail.com

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

PM sent

Save as a solidworks file as .dxf. We plasma cut a baseplate on campus last year from A-36 steel.

Late to the party for the OP but for the record:
I made up some multi-hole plates using OpenRocket, it was easy to visualize how everything is set up without building something in CAD. Then I just sent the PDF to Nat and he cut them out no problem. Some were stepped but just giving him the OD and ID did the trick.

Back