Motor Cases by Gary (AG71)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Like many others I bought several Gorilla Motor (GM) style casings made by Gary (AG71) under the supposition that GM would be around under new ownership. I'm not sure if and when that might occur. So, I had a friend make a forward closure and nozzle for a 54 mm-1400 Nt casing in order to have a functioning motor. What have others done for both substitute forward closures and nozzles on the 38 mm, 54 mm and 76 mm casings? Please also specify which commercial motors are compatible with your specific setup.

Thanks!

Fred, L2
member of ICBM
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

I make them myself on my lathe and have made some for others. Unfortunately the pricing that the market supports just isn't worth the time.

I'm treating them as research motors and making my own closures and nozzles, soon-ish anyway. :) Having spent some time at this, I agree with Dan. It's a lot more work than it looks like to turn these parts.

At the moment, the only way to fly commercial loads would be to purchase Gorilla parts and reloads. Using other parts would void the certification, if I understand the rules properly. And if you can't use the certification, might as well go EX.

I have one of Gary's 75mm in 44" length. Made my own bulkhead and nozzles. Use if for sugar.

Mike Fisher of Binder Design will make closures, rings and nozzles for any hardware according to your specs.

Thanks all for the responses and suggestions. I, with the indispensable help of Johnny Hoffman (ROSCO; and his lathe ) have made a functional 54-1400 nt. motor which readily uses the Kosdon 54mm K 700F reload. I hope to do the same with the 54-2550 nt casing and two 76 mm casings. Once completed, if they launch successfully, I'll gladly share the specifics on the forum. As suggested, I do eventually plan to use the motors as Ex also.

If you have the 75mm hub cap there are several commercial loads to use.

Back