Will you get Level X?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of focus on levels lately. Its almost meaningless. I’ve seen better builders without a level, than some L3 projects. I’ve seen more complex L1s than L2, the list goes on.

The system in place serves its purpose. I don’t think we need a new one.

But people should stop putting so much weight into levels and just fly. Fly what you want, what makes you happy, and what motors will attain the goals you desire.

Judge yourself on your body of work. Not the number on your card. Some of the rocketeers I respect most, I couldn’t even tell you their level.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of focus on levels lately. Its almost meaningless. I’ve seen better builders without a level, than some L3 projects. I’ve seen more complex L1s than L2, the list goes on.

The system in places serves its purpose. I don’t think we need a new one.

But people should stop putting so mich weight into levels and just fly. Fly what you want, what makes you happy, and what motors will attain the goals you desire.

Judge yourself on your body of work. Not the number on your card. Some of the rocketeers I respect most, I couldn’t even tell you their level.

Very well said.

I'm already Level X.

I have submitted my paperwork and started the build on my Level X. But I'm only getting it so I can dole out wedgies to all the L3's and below per NAR double-secret code Alpha Two Niner.

if Chuck Norris didn’t sign the paperwork it’s not valid ;)

Chuck doesn't do paperwork.

attachment.php

But people should stop putting so much weight into levels and just fly. Fly what you want, what makes you happy, and what motors will attain the goals you desire.

This is great advice.. for rocketeers and for life in general.

Speaking of levels how's your L3 project going?

I like the Miyagi philosophy:

"Daniel LaRusso: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Canvas. J.C. Penny. Three ninety-eight. You like. [laughs]
Daniel LaRusso: No, I meant...
Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants. [laughs; then, seriously] Daniel-san, karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
Daniel LaRusso: I think so."

I read the recent threads about "Will you Lx?" with some interest. It is a question worth examining.

For me, L1 was so that I could go out to the big-kid launch pads -- which are more numerous than mid-power pads at our club launches. It also means I could take a turn as RSO/LCO at a club launch. So L1 makes a material difference in how I enjoy the hobby -- in response to external factors.

L2, admittedly, is just a cry for attention. I don't expect to fly that far up into the alphabet very often. I was just disappointed that the LCO for my L1 launch didn't congratulate me over the PA, so I am trying again -- hoping from a smattering of applause (or some groans of sympathetic anguish when my ill-conceived L2 rocket does something dramatic).

As I mentioned in another thread: "Some people like big numbers" (some people need the bragging rights)

Reminds me of a talk I had with a friend. He was a cook, head cook, chef even, of a local restaurant. One of his recent hires made a comment: "How'd you like my fries?" hoping to get a 'yours are great' from him. The friend replied "why does it matter, they should all taste the same.."

My numbers climb was noise related. I thought the L1 motor sound was great. Then I heard L2... And then L3... Just could not get enough! Thought maybe others might enjoy it too. So, when my budget and waiver allow it, I drag my 98MM CTI stuff out to make some NOISE! :wink:

Y'all are kidding about level X right? RIGHT?!? :y:

Last edited:
Me and my buddy have a running joke..

"Not everyone can hit 5,000 feet.."

and yes.. there is a large segment of our population that has zero common sense or the ability to change a tire.

I myself.. Love watching what I make travel at serious speed to heights that make you question..

I slept well after my level 2, and I will sleep well after my level 3..

and unless you sleep next to me.. pretty sure you wouldn't understand.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I leveled up because of the shame of being asked to take my G saucer off the pad. A local club draws the LPR-HPR line at Es. Laypeople are welcome to fly LPR, but not HPR.

I didn't argue. It's their sandbox. I got my L1.

Not sure about X, but I'm willing to bet I'll work my way up to 3 in the fullness of time (after a couple more raises too).

I mean, once you've worked on a complex-Z rocket there's just no need to rush the journey to Level X lol

The other side of the equation is well summed up in a quote by George Mallory, when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest: "Because it's there."

Some of us will attain everything that can be attained simply for the satisfaction of attaining it.

lol how many cameras are you lofting, do you think she will be a go for URRF, or will you just do a club launch?

could be a go for URRF... depends on how operation Canal Trip goes the beginning of the month. (Kingston NY to Dunkirk NY on a 27’ sailboat with 5 minions)

David, I completely agree.

I waited 15 years between my L2 cert and first try at L3. I did the L3 because I wanted to, but it has not made me a better builder or flyer.

I like my number. I put a lot of work and money into it. I'm proud to wear the level pin on my hat. I like the level system. It supplies goals to attain. But at the same time, a certain level is not required to have fun in this hobby. Fly what you want, what makes you happy. If achieving a level makes you happy, that's great too. Levels aren't for everyone, but I'm glad they're there for those of us who want or wanted to attain one.

No one has mentioned in this thread one of the objective benefits of the L1/2/3 system. It's a small but useful framework for making sure that large motors don't easily end up in the hands of people who have no experience with smaller motors. In general it seems to be working, and it could someday help fend off additional government imposed regulation. It was never intended to be just an "achievement" system.

No one has mentioned in this thread one of the objective benefits of the L1/2/3 system. It's a small but useful framework for making sure that large motors don't easily end up in the hands of people who have no experience with smaller motors. In general it seems to be working, and it could someday help fend off additional government imposed regulation. It was never intended to be just an "achievement" system.

I would not disagree with what you are saying at all. I think the level system is a solid foundation that has been working, for the most part. I still really worry about this folks who show up at a launch and do their L1. Next launch they show up, take their L2 exam, and fly their L2 cert. Next thing you know they are talking to TAPs about a L3. This has always worried me a bit. There are a lot of things to be learned, and some of those things are better to do on smaller rockets and motors. Just my 2 cents.

Back