Preventing BP Fouling

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
I have a couple of DD rockets, and mostly use the BP-in-a-glove-fingertip method. On a couple of the bigger ones, I put the glove in a pipe cap charge well, pack a little dog barf around it, and tape over the top. On others, I don't really have space on the bulkhead for charge wells, so the charge is out loose. I usually do the twist and tape method with short lead wires from the altimeter taped to the e-match leads outside the AV bay. The idea is to reduce the amount of time that there's a live charge attached to a potential power source. On those ones, the BP makes an unholy mess of the end of the AV bay, from torching wire insulation to just smearing crud all over.

On my last flight, I dropped the drogue charges way down by the MMT and loaded some dog barf around it. It was a heck of a lot cleaner after flight than the main bay. Has anyone loaded their glove tip charges into a little bag of dog barf to try to keep the inside of the rocket cleaner? I don't see why it shouldn't work, but I also don't want flaming bits of paper/melted gloved floating around making a bigger mess than I had before.

Thanks!

Back in the day when I was using pyros for deployment, I used to wrap the charge up in dog barf, kitchen foil and covered with masking tape (hanging freely within the deployment volume). It was purely one of those "well, this should help keep stuff a bit cleaner and more protected" kinda rationale, based purely on a hunch.

Back