Gaseous fuel ramjets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
Are these TRA research BOD approval allowed? Material would need to be mild steel for thermal and pressure reasons. I'm wondering about if it falls under hybrid rocket motor restrictions. The idea would be stage it to solid fuel HPR regulated APCP booster to get it going fast enough for ignition. Ethylene fuel was used historically. My university has taken some interest to the topic.

Vanderbilt flew one years ago and did not light it in flight.

Ethylene isn't in the hybrid fuel list, so would likely require approval. Tribrids aren't approved either. Probably a better venue at FAR for something like this.

Edward

Surprisingly, any ram jet is considered by the FAA as an aircraft, not a rocket even if paired with one, and subjected to aircraft regulations. A team was going to make such 'hybrid' and was forced to get a pilot license. I have (had) a project in the works to be tested at FAR for a large (12" already tested twice) sugar propellant booster rocket get a ram jet up to speed and power from 20-80,000' and then a second rocket would continue to 100 km.

I'm a few hours away from a Private pilot license that won't be a problem. Right now I'm interested in graduation then employment. I had to put flying in the back burner to finish college. This won't be something I'll immediately jump into. I know that I vastly need more HPR experience. My father holds an active ATP type certificate. Do you know which regulation refers to this just curious? It almost sounds as if they are treating the ramjet on any flying object as a drone of type even on an unguided hobby rocket which is odd.

Odd and regulations often go hand in hand. Unfortunately.

Hey at least there is a valid path to explore civil research of topic. Despite the funky regulations at least a path exists. One of the prof's wanted to write his master's thesis on a couple of documents. It sounds as if the approval for flight path might take a long waiting period.

Back