Level Three Capable Tube Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcderek

Free Flight Rocketeer
Reaction score
Level 3 Tube rockets? I used tube rockets for my Level One and Two, so why not Level Three? Anyone have links to Level Three capable tube rockets? Just looking for ideas and inspiration:)

I tapped for Jack Caynon Jr.'s L3-cert flight on his custom 4" tuber....was a while ago and I doubt there is any documentation online, but was a "spot-on" flight.

Level 3 Tube rockets? I used tube rockets for my Level One and Two, so why not Level Three? Anyone have links to Level Three capable tube rockets? Just looking for ideas and inspiration:)

Long story short, you can fibreglass pretty much any tube to achieve the outcome you are after.

Two opportunities.

1. Attachment of tube fins to body tube - epoxy fillets at point of connection between fins and airframe, and if going for the full Monty, with a complete encirclement of airframe with tube fins - looks very sexy - add fillets where tube fins touch as well.

2. Keep flight below Mach .8 at about that point dynamic pressure builds up in the tube fins and wants to help expand them outwards - solution, fibreglass.

3. Because I prefer to over deliver.

I only have experience with 6” bluetube for this purpose, so, you guessed it, fibreglass lamination

Good luck and have fun.

Long story short, you can fibreglass pretty much any tube to achieve the outcome you are after.

Two opportunities.

1. Attachment of tube fins to body tube - epoxy fillets at point of connection between fins and airframe, and if going for the full Monty, with a complete encirclement of airframe with tube fins - looks very sexy - add fillets where tube fins touch as well.

2. Keep flight below Mach .8 at about that point dynamic pressure builds up in the tube fins and wants to help expand them outwards - solution, fibreglass.

3. Because I prefer to over deliver.

I only have experience with 6” bluetube for this purpose, so, you guessed it, fibreglass lamination

Good luck and have fun.
Err, actually on point 2 - fibreglass won’t help much beyond Mach .8

I tapped for Jack Caynon Jr.'s L3-cert flight on his custom 4" tuber....was a while ago and I doubt there is any documentation online, but was a "spot-on" flight.
Thanks, Fred! There is some documentation online. In the old EMRR articles, just look up Galadriel and the article with my documentation should pop up.

Back