Level 1's will you L2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
Planning on L-2 this spring after I try L-1 again.

Yes, I'm going for my L2 although I initially said I didn't think I would. But I bought a bigger rocket so why not.

So i have not gotten my L1 yet, but knowing i would want to L2 at some point, i purchased the kit i want to L2 with at the same time as my L1 purchase. I am hoping to L1 in May, if that happens i will start on my next build over the summer and see how it goes. I am not in a huge rush to L2, and if i get more L1 size kits before i start i will build them first

My last I motor was $50, so I'm not in any hurry to go L2. I suppose I could just take the test and splurge on a baby J. But why now when I won't be flying Js or Ks anytime soon? There's still so much fun to be had with LPR, so someday I'll end up with L2 & L3. No rush at all, I'm having fun as-is.

I will probably get L2 someday, but I'm in no hurry to do so. Many of the L1 guys in my club got their L2 last year. The cost of the L2 motors is a big part of it.

I have plans to do it. I've got to get my bird ready for it though. Original plans were to do it at Thunder Down Under in Australia this year, but my vacation plans changed with my Christmas gift (a trip back to the US... Thanks Mom!!! :present::present:).

With L2 you can fly research motors, just saying. :)

Research motors includes commercial loads in homemade, outsourced hardware, or modified; and turning reloads into single use; and various other things rather than just flying bigger motors.

Probably not. I got L1 mainly so I could fly some over-80N-average-thrust motors in rockets such as the Estes builders' PSIIs. Even they are a storage challenge, so getting something bigger really doesn't appeal very much. At least that's how I feel about it now.....

In my 35+ active years of RC modeling I admired giant scale models but flew mostly much smaller ones so have kind of the same attitude about rockets.

Bought the J270W DMS motor a couple Black Weekend's ago. Wrecked the rocket on a test flight. Recently bought a new tube. One day, maybe, or maybe I will just let it go and enjoy what I have. I can't really afford to fly L2, was just doing it because it opens doors to participate & support launches more.

Plan to, currently reviewing the test. Hope to take it at next launch and possibly do the flight but might wait a little longer and do more DD flights first.

Yes. Epoxy is literally drying on the L2 Bird as I type. Want the ability to do research motors. I'm sure in some distant future when I win the lottery, there will be L3... but the main reason for L2 is for the research motors.

After 25 years, I finally started accumulating the stuff I will need for my Level 2. Then I lost my job, so that project is mostly on hold.

I don't get the large work up for the L2 flight. Just about any rocket with a 38mm hole deep enough to hold a 720 motor can give you.

I don't get the large work up for the L2 flight. Just about any rocket with a 38mm hole deep enough to hold a 720 motor can give you.

It depends on what your aim is for the process. I could have stuck nose weight and a tracker in Big SAM to take a 38mm J 6 months ago and learned......not that much in the process.

Instead I'm building a big cardboard DD to fly on J-L and coming up with a ton of bad ideas to learn from while making them work.

But if you want to fly bigger 3FNCs with bigger flames, you will take you own path.

Both of those ways are acceptable, and come with their own tough lessons to learn along the way

I've finished up my L2 attempt rocket. It's a modified Hawk Mountain Transonic II. The new bird is called "Creature from the Rocket Lagoon" and it has an old school "Rat Fink" hot rod paint job. Plan to fly it with my TrackSoar ARPS GPS tracker, and a 432 MHz BRB conventional tracker. I'll also put a sonic beacon to maximize the chances of getting it back.

Passed the L2 written test about two weeks ago--now looking for a launch site. RockSim has it going to 6,7000 feet on a J-357. Our local club waiver is only to 5,000 feet and won't allow for anything larger than an I motor. With the fall flying season over, higher waivers may be a long drive or a long wait.

Either is fine. I've got plenty of low-power and mid-power stuff to fly. Mostly I enjoy flying video cameras and telemetry birds. Oh yeah, and saucers. Love the saucers. And HoJo's--love seeing those go up too. And tube fin rockets!

The hobby is too much fun to worry much about levels.

With L2 you can fly research motors, just saying. :)

Research motors includes commercial loads in homemade, outsourced hardware.
This is what I want for now on L-1 motors. I'd rather tweak hardware on G-H motors than fly an L. I just don't get the large rocket frenze. L-1 multistage was really fun.

Yeah what about this in the L2-L3 thread???

Good natured forum humor no more. More enjoyable than just clicking the subscribe button.
Definitely not an invitation or inference that I desired any action from you. Post 106 in the same thread should have made that clear.

Bizarrely enough, I fall closer to David McCann's opinion on the subject of the certification leveling hunt.

This is your thread, your discussion. I'd appreciate it if you remove my handle from the title.

Good natured forum humor right back at you. Ask silly questions win silly threads.

So i figure this is a decent place to ask and maybe it's easy and I just can't see it but how do you edit topic titles

Yeah I don't see the option. Or I would. I see how to add a poll to thread under thread tools.

Back