Fin flutter analysis of the 2.6" FG Screech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gotten some fiberglass cloth to laminate the fins. I don't have my West systems yet, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use Loctite 1 hour epoxy for laminating. I want to launch this rocket on a K740 on may 20 and I don't have much time to work between now an then. This will hopefully eventually be launched on an L935 to about mach 1.85. This epoxy claims that it can withstand 3000 PSI so much less than West System 105/206.

Don’t do it fast, do it right.

some times this means missing a launch, and I never regret that

I have gotten some fiberglass cloth to laminate the fins. I don't have my West systems yet, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use Loctite 1 hour epoxy for laminating. I want to launch this rocket on a K740 on may 20 and I don't have much time to work between now an then. This will hopefully eventually be launched on an L935 to about mach 1.85. This epoxy claims that it can withstand 3000 PSI so much less than West System 105/206.

Take your time and do it right. Get the right epoxy, take your time, and do a good job. If that means you miss the may 20th launch then so be it.

I have flown my screech on K550 and K1100. No problems thus far. Next step is a Loki K830 and probably a L1400 someday if I get back up to Airfest.

Laminating epoxy is about the viscosity of pancake syrup. It will brush, dab, or roll on easily with enough cure time that you don’t feel rushed. Using the right epoxy makes laminating enjoyable. Using the wrong epoxy could make you never want to try it again. I wouldn’t use the Loctite.

Don't worry about vacuum bagging--learn to walk before you run.

FYI, a poor man's vac bag setup for tip to tip is a small sandbag. Mount your fins, shape your fillets, then apply the tip to tip laminate schedule, peel ply, and shrink wrap (as a barrier). Then add the weight. It's not as good as vac bagging, but it's better than not having any compression.

Back