The "NEW" Estes Request Thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats to the Langfords and Estes in the Hobbico Auction. Like many I'm hoping to seeing you succeed for many, many, long years... "To Infinity and beyond" comes to mind.

I'd also like to make a few requests.

Can we get catalogs, even if it is only a digital format? Sure, I'd prefer paper, but anything is better than what we have had since Hobbico's difficulties stopped their production.

Please bring out the Saturn V, Apollo 11 in time for us to buy and build them in time for the 50th anniversary of the landing. I'd love to see a Skylab version too.

Could you bring back more of the designs from the 80's and 90's. I realize that Carl with Semroc did manage to secure the rights to many of the designs from before then. I'm sure that Randy would be willing to work with you.

Thanks!
Jim

I apologize for the brevity of the into... I had a much better into and list of requests, but then the computer froze while I was posting, and I lost my unfinished post, combined with fatigue and illness, I don't have the energy to try again before I forget what I was doing.

I'd like to see the Scion and Interdepter E make reappearances.

Other Kits: Gyroc and Mars Lander.

And maybe a few "XL" upscales, plz?

I wish they'd bring back the builders's parts assortments

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/77est058.html

It would be cool to see this updated with pre-slotted tubes and not-easily-fabricated accessories like nacelles and fin-tip pods.

And, of course, a selection of decals.

It'd also be cool if they offered some electronics beyond altimeters. A tracker, or a science payload platform. Something like this would be very cool to put into a rocket (I know that there are already products like this, and clever people will roll their own Arduino solutions -- I am thinking of an Estes-branded and turn-key device with multiple sensors for classroom/STEM camp rockets, science fair projects, and similar)

Every year do a limited release throwback model from XX number of years ago. At least 25.

In PS-II form of course...

OH MAN... Competition for best build with only components found in box..

Imagination..

001980_package_2_4.jpg

I don't know how it could be done, but I'd like to see some simple "builders" kits. Something beyond RTF and E2X that can capture a youngster's imagination and have him fall in love with the aspect of "modeling". Maybe something like a mini-assortment with a small variety of tubes and fin patterns with instructions for building 3 or more different designs.

I don't know how it could be done, but I'd like to see some simple "builders" kits. Something beyond RTF and E2X that can capture a youngster's imagination and have him fall in love with the aspect of "modeling". Maybe something like a mini-assortment with a small variety of tubes and fin patterns with instructions for building 3 or more different designs.

Yes. I second (or maybe you are seconding what I could not articulate in post #6). The long-ago launchers special came with enough parts to build 5 complete BT30 based rockets. Like that, packaged with a plans for one or two rockets. Something that allows for mix-and-match creativity, but with a selection of components that imposes some constraints on the design, so that the likeliest builds will be stable and sturdy.

Also, seriously, have you seen this thing?

https://www.arborsci.com/pocketlab-voyager

specs here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DVM7m-eBtVVlExUWhmX1R0MTQ/view

I flew a 4" diameter Goblin at NSL last year on a 29mm H motor. Since it uses the same nose cone as the Mega Der Red Max it was a no brainer to build one.

John Boren

Yes. I second (or maybe you are seconding what I could not articulate in post #6). The long-ago launchers special came with enough parts to build 5 complete BT30 based rockets. Like that, packaged with a plans for one or two rockets. Something that allows for mix-and-match creativity, but with a selection of components that imposes some constraints on the design, so that the likeliest builds will be stable and sturdy.

I missed the launchers special because it came out during my college years when rocketry was on the back burner.

But that is sort of the idea I was proposing. What I'm trying to address is a way to transition those RTF/E2X kids to becoming builders. I've seen scores and scores of scouts, 4H, school programs, etc that have kids do simple rockets, but they never join the hobby. I think that after a few whoosh/pops they don't know where else to go with it. I don't see them getting excited about: "This is *my* creation! *I* did this!" So they move on the the next instant gratification experience.

Those of us who have been in the hobby a long time, started out when EVERY kit was a builders kit. We were investing ourselves in every build, therefore creating "pride in ownership".

Even if Estes doesn't go with some kind of "mini assortment" concept, I would like to see them think about offerings that "hook" kids on becoming hobbyists.

But that is sort of the idea I was proposing. What I'm trying to address is a way to transition those RTF/E2X kids to becoming builders. I've seen scores and scores of scouts, 4H, school programs, etc that have kids do simple rockets, but they never join the hobby. I think that after a few whoosh/pops they don't know where else to go with it.
I'm not sure I understand why what you're proposing would make for an easier or better migration path than the existing (extensive!) selection of skill level 1 or even skill level 2 kits. As a kid, the idea of scratch building or designing my own rockets never even entered my mind until I had built several kits. Kits have the advantage of having a fully-developed paint scheme, with included decals, and a proven design. And to go with it, a snazzy face card that shows what you'll end up with if you put in the effort.

The real question (IMHO) is how to get the kids to look beyond the RTF/E2X kit they just built, at all? After you've gotten a nibble, how do you set the hook? IMHO the products are there for them right now, just waiting.

That said: I do like what you're proposing. Something between buying individual parts and the full-boat Designer's Special would seem helpful. But I'm not sure it would solve the transition problem.

I also agree in general that figuring out ways to promote the hobby itself has to be a priority at Estes. They're just about the only brand with enough retail presence to be able to do it.

Bring back:
Estes Corkscrew.
Estes CATO.
Estes Partizon.

Thanks,

Something I'd love to see is a return of several of the traditional shapes of nosecones. The old fat ogive shape found in the 1980's Alpha IIs (P/N 071028, PNC-50KA (Blow Molded)) looks far superior to the current shape, and was a factor in several of the kits that I loved during my first foray into the hobby. Or the P/N 071009, PNC-50Y (Blow Molded) nosecone. Again, these were popular when I was first into the hobby, and critical for those designs.

I'd love to also see upscales of these shapes.

Perhaps even limited reissues of current designs with their classic liveries. The Wizard and Alpha II come to mind.

How about some sort of rocket-integrated photographic device?
Or a clone of the Cineroc that is predesigned to accept an 808 camera (bought separately)?

I wonder about this. I date back to the Cineroc and Camroc. I remember seeing an Astrocam 110 kit in a hobby shop sometime in the 1980s.

Estes tried video a couple of times, I think. The Oracle and the Astrovision come to mind. The necessity of getting the camera lens outside of the airframe (for anything but a horizon shot) would seem to make it hard to move the camera from one rocket to another. Maybe thats not a concern?

How much would you pay for an HD camera that you could mount to an LPR which worked right out of the box?

I wonder about this. I date back to the Cineroc and Camroc. I remember seeing an Astrocam 110 kit in a hobby shop sometime in the 1980s.

Estes tried video a couple of times, I think. The Oracle and the Astrovision come to mind. The necessity of getting the camera lens outside of the airframe (for anything but a horizon shot) would seem to make it hard to move the camera from one rocket to another. Maybe thats not a concern?

How much would you pay for an HD camera that you could mount to an LPR which worked right out of the box?

I'd love to see an 808 based series of camera housings based on the old classic shapes (Astrocam 110, Camroc, and the Cineroc). With that said, adapters could be fashioned to accommodate other body tube diameters (For those that don't know, the Astrocam 110 is BT-56, Camroc is BT-50, and the Cineroc mounts to the BT-60).

There would be a certain efficiency in Estes designing/providing the ready-to-go camera module/nosecone, having worked out the shroud, mirror, control buttons, etc., that could be flown on many many different models from RTF to retro classics to complicated build models to PS II. Starting with a common (or historically relevant) BT size, adapters could be used to fly it on most any rocket capable of handling a modestly weighted payload. Or how about a dedicated aerial photo fleet of various models that give you cool stuff to catch with onboard video/stills - 2 stage, 3 stage, cluster, rear deploy, glider recovery, helicopter, and so on.

The film-carrying camera modules of Camroc, Cineroc and Astrocam are of course quite large in relation to the modern miniature digital camera, so organizing electronics into one or more of those big packages for a retro design should be a simple matter for Estes engineers, and allow flexibility in fitting greater or lesser quality lenses, memory capacity, and other components. It's not hard to imagine a smaller payload like that of the mini Omega downscale ST-11 payload being plenty large enough to take some nice pictures in flight using modern electronics.

Estes fans, myself included, routinely pay a very large premium for cheap plastic, balsa, cardboard tubes, etc. when they come together in the form of a nicely designed complete kit with a cool name, decals and suggested paint scheme. A properly designed and marketed photographic payload module in builder or RTF kit form based on inexpensive electronics would be no different in that regard.

I'd love to see an 808 based series of camera housings based on the old classic shapes (Astrocam 110, Camroc, and the Cineroc). With that said, adapters could be fashioned to accommodate other body tube diameters (For those that don't know, the Astrocam 110 is BT-56, Camroc is BT-50, and the Cineroc mounts to the BT-60).

I don't disagree -- I thought about cameras when I wished for electronics. I am just trying to think how to implement a "fits-many" solution. Say its based on the Cineroc -- with a fixed down-pointing camera lens. For BT sizes smaller than the diameter of the camera housing you'd need stand-offs for the launch-lugs -- not a problem until you want to launch with a smaller nosecone. For BT sizes larger than the camera, the body of the rocket would occlude the view.

But, there are lots of people who are smarter and more imaginative than me. So; yeah, an Estes camera is an add for add my wish-list.

My wishlist:

• Now that I have two young rocketeers in the NARTREK cadet program, I'd like to see more kits that challenge them as they progress. My eldest is on a two stage rocket build for Apollo and there isn't anything that isn't a fin can build that doesn't break when you look at it funny. PSII 2-stage rocket that is a for real TTW construction for the first and second stage.
  • I also echo some of the earlier posts about simple electronic experiments. You released a digital altimeter which was great. What about other payload option that you don't necessarily supply the experiments but give them the foundation to add experiments onto (ie a sled). There are other vendors out there that print sleds so there is a market. This will help with student mentors trying to tie education to the hobby and want easy, functional, and inexpensive solutions.
  • Make a solid MPR production line. PSII is a great product, keep up the good work.
  • Dare I say it but I'd like to see a versatile MPR/HPR rocket come from Estes. I'm not talking something that can take on the N8000, I'm talking L1 certifiable rockets that can fly on F's and G's. Take Estes into a more versatile platform where PSII can be used in small HPR ventures but can be flown on MPR.
  • Cluster rockets! Get creative with it. Bring back the SR71 with dual engines like the real thing instead of a center engine. Space Shuttle with actually booster stages that separate and recover (bonus points if you the shuttle turns into a glider).

Perhaps pie in the sky but its a wishlist nonetheless.

I would wholeheartedly support the idea of Estes producing a camera module that is mass-marketable (i.e. something that Hobby Lobby could stock, maybe) that would be super easy to deploy to different rockets. One challenge with integrating it into a nose cone: Swapping nose cones would often mean swapping shock cord attachments. Although this is certainly doable with snap-swivels and such, it ups the complexity and makes it a bit less straightforward and idiot-proof. Not sure if there's an ideal solution here.

I do think that getting some electronic stuff into the picture would help draw more of today's kids (and adults. :))

Everything that was ever made, be continuously stocked as well as new new designs.
With a limited number of special Collector's Editions per year...for us collectors.
Bring back the EAC!!! And the Viper!!!

This is going to be a huge size thread....Fast...

Everything that was ever made, be continuously stocked as well as new new designs.
With a limited number of special Collector's Editions per year...for us collectors.
Bring back the EAC!!! And the Viper!!!

This is going to be a huge size thread....Fast...

I like your thinking... However, a few things should still be left to history (namely the short "E" motors, and the original version of the 1/100 scale Estes Saturn V (the Centuri version, which is what the modern version is based on)).

I agree that this might get big. While not official, I figured that it might help Estes know what active members of the rocketry community want.

Back