Let me see your HPR Two Stage projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtech

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have been searching the forums for High Power Two Stage projects.. And I am not finding much.

You see guys, I have a problem. My dad and I are in a bit of a competition of who can go higher.
I set the bar to 6,700 ft with a M1830 C-Star, which was AWESOME.. So I had that going for me.
It took my dad a year, but then he cheated with a J510 to 9,900ft. Crap, now the bar is set a bit higher.

So I have a built 3in Competitor which with a L935 Pro54 6XL IMax it will sim to 14,000 ft.
Which will give me the win.. However, I don't see myself on top for long.

Moral of the story is, I need more height!! That is where you guys come in.

Let me see you two stage kits, and what would you do?

However I am only going to buy fiberglass or carbon fiber. No cardboard :)

Ohh yeah, I am thinking some kid of a 3in fiberglass kit, times two :) with 54mm motors..

Ohh yeah, I am thinking some kid of a 3in fiberglass kit, times two :) with 54mm motors..

Here's my 3"-to-3":
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?143131-Osprey-75-2-Stage-post-build-thread

Unfortunately the second launch coned off the pad a bit and put the sustainer landed in a lake, killed the AltimeterThree, on-board camera (though it did record video up until mid-descent, including some great shots of the stage separation) as well as the RRC3 and possibly the RTx (it seems the latter is still working, but I haven't thoroughly tested it yet).

Also nearly finished with a Double Shot, but it uses the same sustainer electronics as the Osprey, so it all needs to be replaced before either can fly again. Hoping to have them ready for LDRS next month.

Thanks for the post guys!! This should help me out very much.

So stage enough 38 MD Loki and CTI cases that Dad gives up. You can fly smaller diameters and attempt 20k ft plus on L-1 motors. But unlike me, your not limited to L-1 motors. You don't need a massive rocket to try for high alt. Can't afford big rocket motors? Minimize drag force then. Reduce tube diameter LOL. Airframe and recovery costs Plummet too!!!

One thing missing that I can't find on the forums here ...
$$$$$$$$$

:)

I was going to say exactly that, but I forgot. The rockets, with rolled tubes, are no more expensive than a 4" fiberglass kit. Yep, you need the motors and some additional electronics. The biggest expense for me is the trip to blackrock. Although I enjoy going there, it would be nice to have a location closer to home.

Two-stagers are fun!

Jim

Yeah getting FAA waivers high enough for SEDS multistage a basic L-1 HPR competition was a massive complaint. You literally spend more on travel than the rocket itself. UROC was fun. Three day non stop drive because we were broke basturds. We legit passed out on wood floors at a dude's friends place. Sleeping in a moving car with a bunch of people sucks. The journey was fun. Many other universities just whined on the internet rather than try a road trip to a waiver.

If you got the will and drive for ambition you make it happen. You earn the experience. First one is always the scariest.

Most Tripoli and/or NAR HPR launches have a sufficient waiver to fly any L1 staged project, and most reasonable L2 projects too ("reasonable" meaning that you can afford the motors). I flew my Double Shot out at TRALV to 14K last year with a K600 (54mm 5g) to J595 (38mm 6XL). The Cal Poly Pomona SEDS team flew a 2-stage L1 (I357-H100) to about 4K last weekend at ROC. 4K is certainly within the waiver at any NAR/TRA launch site.

The problem is when you need the 25,000 ft waivers it involves lots of travel. When you need even higher, then it's almost once or twice a year.

You should just put your dad out of his misery and fly this project:

https://youtu.be/mWOicBydGzc

Hey, it's been a few years since I posted this link.

By the way, everything you need to build and fly this project is on this forum.

Jim

While technically true, there's a lot of learning and practice before you'll build something this beautiful. :)

One thing missing that I can't find on the forums here ...
$$$$$$$$$

:)

Our students' HPR project this year cost about $300 for 8' of hand laid carbon 3" airframe, purchased nose cone, 54mm MMT, and fin/CR stock. A work friend provided NC router services free for cutting fins and CRs, and the students did a lot of hand work. This would have been enough to build a two-stage airframe, although the students didn't. Assume another $200-$500 for electronics and recovery if you don't have them already. Low end if you're using Eggfinder/timer products and scratch building chutes, higher end if purchasing ready to go out of the box. Maybe another $200-$300 for motors depending on how exciting you want to go.

You could probably scratch build a 54mm airframe that will go as high as your waiver for less than the cost of electronics.

The Cal Poly Pomona SEDS team flew a 2-stage L1 (I357-H100) to about 4K last weekend at ROC. 4K is certainly within the waiver at any NAR/TRA launch site.

ASU got double that last year. Non min diameter. Purdue attempted 20k ft. This year I assisted a team that got well over 10 k ft. They were highly inexperienced and screwed up a delay timing or it would've been a TRA record. I've personally attempted 22 k ft and 11.4 k ft for SEDS. Video in the link Salvage posted. They had to go out West to launch as Southeast waivers suck. What the OP wants is altitude. We got 3,773ft out of a single H lighting last year which made me laugh. It's not hard once you get a waiver that isn't a cross country trip.

Most SEDS teams do not try supersonic MD as when it goes wrong it's usually really FUBAR'd. (Our first launch was a total write off but we gained priceless experience.)

Back