New member from AR and a silly observation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clivus

Reaction score
Hi folks,
My kids and I have started building some Estes kits with hopes of shooting them the next calm day we get. I'm sad to say that I can't find a mom and pop hobby shop anywhere in the state. We ended up buying our rockets from Hobby Lobby. We got a Spirit ARF, Star Orbiter, Super Nova, and another small one that I can't recall at the moment. I've got a Jolly Logic Chute Release on the way to hopefully make recovery easier.

As I was attempted to profile the fins on the Star Orbiter and the Super Nova, I was focusing on keeping the material removal equal and try to keep it symmetric. I had the thought of futility of that when we plan to hang a keychain camera off the side. Surely that blob taped to the side overrides any aerodynamic accuracy of my fins. :lol:

Thanks for the great information.

Welcome!

I can't tell what your previous rocketry experience is, but if it's little or none, then just a few suggestions:
1) Start with small motors, like the recommended "first flight" motors on the Estes packages. Among other things, it'll give you a chance to test the winds and see what your recovery is going to be like. Some days it just doesn't pay to move up to the larger motors.
2) With the 2-stage Super Nova and a Star Orbiter w/Chute Release, you're starting off with higher level of complexity. I would suggest flying the Super Nova single-stage first to get a handle on the whole process before flying it 2-stage, which in addition to being more complex is also more difficult from a recovery standpoint (two things to track, and the upper stage can go really high). As for the Star Orbiter... (a) that thing can also go quite high; Chute Release is a good idea but (b) that's about the minimum diameter a Chute Release will fit into. Practice packing it before flying, and I personally would aim for flying it at least once (or twice) with a smaller motor without Chute Release.

Main objective is to maximize success on first launch. There are many accounts here of folks who overreached a bit on their first flights and lost a lot of rockets very quickly. Although losing rockets is an unfortunate part of the hobby, it's a major bummer if it happens right at the beginning.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Welcome!

Going from Neil's response, I'd +1 on the use the smaller motors. The suggested first flight motors are there to allow you to safely fly your rocket, and improve your chances in getting it back. It's a real bummer when you lose your rocket on its first flight.

I appreciate the advice. I must admit as the costs approached $200 at Hobby Lobby for 4 rockets, launch pad and controller, I grabbed the higher power motors instead of the First Flight motors. I'll go back and fix that.

I have zero rocket experience in the last 30 years or so. I am pretty good at building and using tools, but gluing is a bit new for me. My first Star Orbiter was an ugly mess but straight. I ended up putting the motor mount too far in because I misread the instructions. I'm just going to get another kit of the same.

I got enough motors to launch without the booster on the Super Nova. I also got a BT55 booster for the Spirit Almost Ready to Fly that my son assembled.

I'm a private pilot, so I'm not afraid of digging into the science of it. In fact, that is one of the things I like about it. I'd like to take a rocket supersonic. The Tulsa Rocketry launch is within driving distance.

I actually had already read your papering thread. I was worried about the overlapping edges coming together on both sides. I also wasn't confident getting a clean effect with such thin CA.

I do my papering with Avery label paper and Titebond II. Have had perfect results so far. In the finished product, the edges don't come together (although they do for a while during the process. Eventually, the fin edges are exposed, sealed with a thin layer of TBII. If you're interested I can dig up links to my method (I should probably write it up in the Techniques forum at some point, although I have already done so in several of my build threads).

There are many, many ways to seal fins, and they all work... trick is to find what works best for you.

First time I launched my Star Orbiter with an F15, the comments were “wow, what did you have in that thing?” from the peanut gallery and “Holy s#%t!” from my wife. Landed 500ft behind the pad after flying a kilometre upwind. Those light weight 29mm models will make it way up there with a big motor so be prepared for a bit of a hike! That said, they also fly just fine with a D12....

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Download Open Rocket and find some sim files for the rockets you already have. That'll let you play with simulating different motors in those rockets to see how high they'll go and what sort of delay you need. Open Rocket seems daunting at first but once you figure out whats going on its actually pretty simple.
I "built" my Level 1 rocket inside of Open Rocket from scratch instead of using an existing file(I couldn't find one for my Madcow 3" Little John"). After simulating it and getting the Center of gravity set correctly, I simmed it with the Lvl 1 motor I intended to use... it simmed to 2700 feet give or take a few. The actual flight went to 2709 according to the on board altimeter. My point is that its a VERY powerful tool thats quite accurate and will help you understand the requirements for a rocket to fly properly.

Is Open Rocket easier or better than Rocksim? It seems most people here use Rocksim

I appreciate the advice. I must admit as the costs approached $200 at Hobby Lobby for 4 rockets, launch pad and controller, I grabbed the higher power motors instead of the First Flight motors. I'll go back and fix that.

I have zero rocket experience in the last 30 years or so. I am pretty good at building and using tools, but gluing is a bit new for me. My first Star Orbiter was an ugly mess but straight. I ended up putting the motor mount too far in because I misread the instructions. I'm just going to get another kit of the same.

I got enough motors to launch without the booster on the Super Nova. I also got a BT55 booster for the Spirit Almost Ready to Fly that my son assembled.

I'm a private pilot, so I'm not afraid of digging into the science of it. In fact, that is one of the things I like about it. I'd like to take a rocket supersonic. The Tulsa Rocketry launch is within driving distance.

Step 1- Build rocket
Step 2- Spend hours painting rocket
Step 3- Put biggest motor in rocket
Step 4- Repeat.

:)

and by the way.. .Welcome !!!

The Super Nova is one of my favorites. I built one back in 1989 or so that crashed(with caterpillars in the payload..oops) and I built one of the new re-issue models. A good combo for a two-stage flight is B6-0/B6-6.

Here is a video of a two-stage Super Nova flight:
[youtube]CcrQqek0_q4[/youtube]

Come and see us at Leonard, we'd love to say hi! I don't get to nearly enough launches, but I know there are several AR folks from time to time.

Welcome!

When shopping at hobby lobby, use their app and take the 40% off one item, if close by, just spread your shopping out so one item 40% off, next day 40% off, rinse and repeat... makes it semi-affordable.

My wife schooled me on the coupon! Their selection isn’t that great but I did pick up a Majestic for my 8 year old. I did the epoxy though. We haven’t had a good day to fly. Our city has an R/C flying park so I think we will launch there.

Welcome!

When shopping at hobby lobby, use their app and take the 40% off one item, if close by, just spread your shopping out so one item 40% off, next day 40% off, rinse and repeat... makes it semi-affordable.

My wife schooled me on the coupon! Their selection isn’t that great but I did pick up a Majestic for my 8 year old. I did the epoxy though. We haven’t had a good day to fly. Our city has an R/C flying park so I think we will launch there.

At the HL near me, I've seen families use multiple coupons in one shopping trip (even the toddler). Print out a bunch and take the whole clan. They definitely have a pro-family policy (posted by their doors to explain their being closed on Sundays) but not allowing multiple coupons from one person sometimes feels like anti-single.

My kids and I have started building some Estes kits with hopes of shooting them the next calm day we get.

Welcome to the hobby!
With kids in tow, your entire family will have fun.
Just make sure you let kids pick which kits they want to buy (works easier online), else you will end up finishing them yourself (ask me how I know)!
:smile:

I'm sad to say that I can't find a mom and pop hobby shop anywhere in the state. We ended up buying our rockets from Hobby Lobby.

You made the right choice shopping @HL (especially with the 40% off coupon!), and frankly, you are not missing much with mom'n'pop stores, except higher prices.
The few local mom'n'pop hobby shops in my area are remarkably grimy, and the two that carry rocketry stuff tend to hide it faaaaaaaaar in the back. Not a pleasant shopping experience, and the same Estes product line selection as what you get @HL. I do most of my shopping online.

I'm a private pilot, so I'm not afraid of digging into the science of it. In fact, that is one of the things I like about it. I'd like to take a rocket supersonic. The Tulsa Rocketry launch is within driving distance

Don't worry about beauty - if she flies straight and comes back in one piece - you did a great job!
This is the great thing about this hobby - anyone can do it, only minimal dexterity and common sense required.
And the last two are semi-optional.

...or, check out with one item at 40% discount, then come back and buy another with a 40% discount right afterwards.
Not to say that I did that more than once to establish a trend, or that it works in every store. But the time we forgot something (not even rocketry related), the repeat discounting process on second checkout worked without asking.

YMMV,
a

My general advice would be:

1. Fatter rockets stay lower, slower, and are (to me) more fun to watch
(e.g. Estes Pro Series II rockets, Estes Big Daddy, Estes Executioner, Aerotech, North Coast Rocketry, many others in 2.6" + diameters)
2. Rockets with through-the-wall fins are easier to build, and a little more durable.
3. Replace any thin plastic parachutes with third party fabric chutes (more durable, less tangly, deploy more reliably)
4. Go to https://www.jollylogic.com/chuterelease and watch videos on folding chutes for Chute Release (also some cool user videos of flights)
5. Use rocketry as an excuse to teach science. Especially rocket stability, how air pressure varies by altitude, thrust, drag, strength of construction.

You've already done the most important thing of all: come to this forum. The folks on this forum have a couple of hundred thousand years of rocketry experience, from building tiny rockets to giant ones that go in space. And there are members like me and from companies like Estes who make stuff, and can answer your questions.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. Your advice is appreciated and will be heeded. I've bought my third Star Orbiter kit now. :( I found my sanded and primed fin tube with a crease in it. Of course the kids blamed the dog.
So far we have a Viking, Super Nova, Spirit, Majestic, Star Orbiter, Pro Series Nike Smoke, and Ascender. We might get to launch some this weekend if the weather cooperates. So far, only the Spirit and Majestic are ready to fly. We are having fun with it though.

I'm curious what it is like at AirFest for kids and beginners. Is it worth going to just to watch? It's about 5 hours from here.

I'm curious what it is like at AirFest for kids and beginners. Is it worth going to just to watch? It's about 5 hours from here.

It's absolutely worth going to Airfest just to watch. However, you have plenty of time between now and then to build a few and fly them there.
Nice to see another Arkansawyer lurking around here. Hit me up if you need anything. I'm in Northwest Arkansas.

All of the kids I see at AirFest who are either watching or flying look like they're having an amazing time.

All of the big kids sneak off to the trailers to buy moneyburners. :-D

I've gone a bit rocket crazy. All Estes. Just ordered a Super Big Bertha, Firebolt, Top Shot, Yellow Crayon, Athena, and Executioner. After we play with these, I may start working on a bigger rocket like a Torrent.

I've gone a bit rocket crazy. All Estes. Just ordered a Super Big Bertha, Firebolt, Top Shot, Yellow Crayon, Athena, and Executioner. After we play with these, I may start working on a bigger rocket like a Torrent.

Clivus, I’ve got the super big Bertha which I’m finishing paint on now, three executioners which I’ve sort of made into a test platform for dual deploy and clustering motors, as well as the top shot. The top shot was a fun rocket to build since it went together so quickly. It flies great on a d12. So far my favorite of them is the super big Bertha. It’s got such a cool look in my opinion. I can’t wait to fly it!

I wanted to get some slow and some fast rockets. I was buying a variety of motors so the rockets were relatively cheap compared to a few composites. I got a couple of RTF just for fun

Welcome to the madness! Before you know it you will be building your L3 rocket and thinking $300 is a reasonable price for a rocket motor!!! Lol, have fun with the kids and those rockets. You are usually welcomed with open arms to join in on the fun with any club, even if you are just watching, or launching LPR. It's a lot of fun, and really cool to watch other people burn their money.

We went and launched today. We lost a Estes Spirit in the lake. With the B55 booster it hung in the air for what seemed like forever. The best rocket was the Majestic. With the Jolly Logic Chute Release it’s like cheating. I set it to 100 feet because I was scared of losing it too. It’s definitely suspenseful waiting for the chute to pop.
Why does Estes have F15-6 as first flight over the weaker E16-6? We launched both.

https://youtu.be/LmhuLXmma0U

I got a range box today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back