Eztes Scorpion questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockyt

Reaction score
Evening all.

As I write this, I have just completed assembling an Estes Scorpion...and, well...came to a realization...
How in the world do you seal this beauty AFTER everything has been glued together?

I usually FNF and then sand before spraying, but how would I get into the crevices created by assembly...

The painting will be my maiden voyage into airbrushing, so will NOT be stock...think 80's hot rod inspired...but I am hoping for clean 'mudded' lines.

Any ideas?

If you're talking a final clear coat, I'd go for whatever Future floor polish is calling itself these days.

I used Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler on mine as well. I'm not sure I have any "tricks" for you though. My normal balsa filling process is one coat of sanding sealer first before water-thinned CWF. I paint it on with a 1 inch chip brush. Then sand/inspect/more fill/ sand/inspect/... until I decide it's good enough. I used un-thinned filler on the two side scoops to get a smooth transition to the airframe. I took a few cell phone photos before I started the finishing process and some final glamour shots. Great flyer on an A10. Hope this helps.

IMG_0830.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0826.jpgIMG_0824.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?139520-Estes-Scorpion-7232&highlight=estes+scorpion

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 75
@samb- Huh...My 'scoops' on the sides were white BT, not the stock paper 'brown' color.
also, yeah, that is what I was hoping, but did you use any special toold between the main top spar and the intakes, or in between the bottom rear winglets?

@samb- Huh...My 'scoops' on the sides were white BT, not the stock paper 'brown' color.
also, yeah, that is what I was hoping, but did you use any special toold between the main top spar and the intakes, or in between the bottom rear winglets?

Oh yes, emory boards from the beauty supply section of Wally World, Dollar General, borrowed from wife, etc.

emory board.jpg

Back