Snap traps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the late '70's, LLNL had a serious feral cat problem. They decided they wanted to do something about it, so they brought in a company that set traps, and caught over 5000 cats in a 1 sq mile area. (Live traps.)

You can guess what happened with the rodent population over the next few days.

So, upper management sponsored a competition for the "better mousetrap." Winning dept gets an all expenses paid pizza party. My guys at MFTF won. Trash basket, ruler, rubber band, bait, and a paper clip. Set it up, the mouse runs out on the ruler after the bait, the ruler imbalances and tips, and the mouse drops in the bucket. The ruler resets, ready for the next mouse. In the official competition, they caught 89 mice in 1 hour.

A few days later, some idjit put some LN in the bucket. Fine for quickly dispatching the rodent, but the dummy picks the frozen mouse out of the bucket with some tongs, and drops it to the floor.

"Hey stupid, that's gonna thaw out. Clean it up."

"Oh, (insert multiple expletives here)!"

Brilliant minds at work.

The pizza was good. :wink:

Last edited:
A few days later, some idjit put some LN in the bucket. Fine for quickly dispatching the rodent, but the dummy picks the frozen mouse out of the bucket with some tongs, and drops it to the floor.

Makes me wonder what some other bucket type mouse traps at research institutions were filled with. At least I'm confident nobody tried a hypergolic mouse trap filled with ClF3? :y:

Reinhard

I use sticky traps and old school Victor spring (snap traps) traps. I have had the spring traps cause a bloody mess that was pretty nasty to clean up the next morning. The sticky traps are cleaner. I tried a humane multi catch live trap and never caught anything in it. I am all for humane treatment and all but for mice and rats I couldn't care less. Quit using my kitchen drawers as a toilet and eating my potato chips you filthy rodent.
Killing animals is messy business regardless, but I'm confused here as to why you think glue traps are cleaner. They leave the animal alive on it for an indefinite period of time, which often results in broken bones, torn-off fur and skin and other physical injuries from trying to get off. They can even gnaw at a leg to escape. Then consider it's practically going to wallow around in its own bodily wastes due to extreme fright. And if they don't die from all of that, they die slowly from dehydration/starvation. There's simply no need for glue traps when we have a multitude of options available that kill them outright. They're banned in many countries for good reason, as well as they should be; they're an abomination. Barbaric. No different to steel-toothed leg traps for foxes and the like.

You say that you don't care about humane treatment when it comes to mice and rats. How do you define "humane treatment" though? Is it acceptable to cause a trapped animal to suffer? To torture one? The human being in me says that it's not; that unnecessary suffering - to any animal - is not okay. So that begs the question: why cause suffering when there are options available to either minimise it or eliminate it entirely?

Back