Which direction should words do on the side of a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainlord Mesomorph

Reaction score
EDIT (i can't edit the title?) Which direction should words GO on the side of a rocket?
In Open Rocket, in "side view" the rocket points to the left, words written on the side of that rocket would start at the nosecone and go down.(The books on my shelf are that way too)

But in the Estes Catalog, all the writing starts at the fins and goes toward the nose.

And then sometimes there are

W
O
R
D
S

L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S

(buts its very tough to make a logo that way)

Opinons?
Is there a NASA standard?

EDIT (i can't edit the title?) Which direction should words GO on the side of a rocket?
In Open Rocket, in "side view" the rocket points to the left, words written on the side of that rocket would start at the nosecone and go down.(The books on my shelf are that way too)

But in the Estes Catalog, all the writing starts at the fins and goes toward the nose.

W
O
R
D
S

L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S

(buts its very tough to make a logo that way)

Opinons?
Is there a NASA standard?

As far as I can tell, most orbital rockets are lettered vertically
L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S.

Other than that it varies. According to Rockets of the World the Nike booster in its various forms is lettered so that the words are "right side up" while it is sitting horizontally in its cradle, so one set goes each way. Most rockets with one set seem to be back-to-front, but that's just from flipping through RoTW and looking at random sounding rockets.

My redstone.

0_6a3423d013034da6Md.jpg

The Mercury-Redstone wasn't Orbital. The Mercury-Atlas was though.

Along the lines of non-orbital rockets with writing that isn't orientated

L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S

Are the CARDE Black Brant rockets...

File:Black_Brant-II_rocket-01.jpg
File:Black_Brant-II_rocket-01.jpg
attachment.php

If you are modeling a historical rocket then you should follow the official layout as best you can. If this is your own design then you can do whatever you think looks best for that rocket.

EDIT (i can't edit the title?)

Edit... Advanced Edit, then you can change the title... Unless there's a minimum post number that unlocks that for you (I'm long past minimum post numbers).

W
O
R
D
S

L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S

Incorrect... it varies from kit to kit... Sometimes even from photo to photo of the same kit in the same catalog. For example the Estes Sizzler 1906/1432 in the 1983 catalog.

83estb.jpg
83est6.jpg

Then again, occasionally it's written

LIKE THIS

on the fins, but not on the body tube (such as the Estes Mark II (1202).

83est16.jpg

In OR's 3D view, you can rotate the rocket around the center of the rocket (lengthwise) or roll it around the center line of the rocket.

I frequently reverse the orientation of the rocket from pointing to the left to pointing to the right in my sims, depending on the orientation of the writing based on the kit's stock livery.

On my own designs, I always orient lettering from the fins. It looks better that way to me. Although I did one early one from the top down.

P1120295.JPG

P1070595.JPG

thump06.JPG

187.JPG

20170128_105945.jpg

Back