First Launch :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delivers1234

Reaction score
I received a permit to launch rockets at my workplace (school) and today with my kids, I launched an Athena ready to go rocket with the A8-3 engine. I cut a small hole on the parachute so that any wind would not take it away. Everything went well and the rocket landed about 40ft from the pad.

I noticed that the wadding opens up in the air. Is this re-used? Also I checked if the controller was ready by connecting both wires and pressing both the key and button and the led lit up. Is this the correct way to check if the controller is operational?

I received a permit to launch rockets at my workplace (school) and today with my kids, I launched an Athena ready to go rocket with the A8-3 engine. I cut a small hole on the parachute so that any wind would not take it away. Everything went well and the rocket landed about 40ft from the pad.

Congratulations!
It's great that you have the whole family having fun. Now, to get kids really into it, give them free reign to pick whichever Estes kit they might want to build.
You will need to help them, a bit or a lot, but it will get them going. Once they launch their own rocket, they will get hooked!
BTDT
:cool:

I noticed that the wadding opens up in the air. Is this re-used?

Yes, it can be.
Some also like to buy reusable Nomex chute protectors to avoid messing with wadding:
https://www.rocketarium.com/Heat-Shields

Also I checked if the controller was ready by connecting both wires and pressing both the key and button and the led lit up. Is this the correct way to check if the controller is operational?

Probably not, though I'm not sure what controller you are using.
Most controllers have a "lock" button (or a pin) you need to push before unlocking "launch" button.
Doing the former either illuminates "ready" light, or sounds a "ready" buzzer, similar to the video below (not the best example, but the first thing I could find):
[video=youtube;2ui_Robh7rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ui_Robh7rs[/video]

The idea is to send low-current first (that doesn't trigger ignition) to check continuity, in case igniter wires are broken, shorted, or batteries are dead.

Hope this helps,
a

Last edited:
The Athena is a good flyer and well matched to the common Estes motors (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5)

I noticed that the wadding opens up in the air. Is this re-used?

I often come home with more wadding that I use at club launches because I pick it up in the field when I'm retrieving my models. As long as it's not just ash it can certainly be reused. Of course around here it may need to dry out first :).

Also I checked if the controller was ready by connecting both wires and pressing both the key and button and the led lit up. Is this the correct way to check if the controller is operational?

Almost. The instructions with Estes controllers have you connect the clips together and then press in the key to be sure it's functional. If you also press the launch button the LED will likely go out as you're shorting the batteries through the clips at that point. As you go along you will learn that there is more to it than that, but that is a check that it's good out of the bag. Obviously yours is since you got that Athena up in the air.

Welcome to the forum :)

Glad your launch at school went well. No pressure.

You can use crepe paper party streamers for wadding if you can't find the official stuff. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable party supply store so it has fire-retardant in it. The cheap and cheerful Chinese stuff can be lacking in that area, if purchased from the discount shops. It is particularly important in our application!

Back