Lost In Space 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lis2018drifter.png

Photoshop can only do so much to correct for digital fish-eye distortion they put on the image, but I am going to say no. Not an Astron Drifter.

I was surprised that the little quotes from the original show's theme music stirred something like nostalgia for me. I only ever saw the original in re-runs, and only when I didn't want to get off the couch to change the channels between shows that I wanted to watch. I really hated that show. Lots of existential creepiness in that show -- it was almost as bad as Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea for stories about people being turned into things.

The episode where Dr. Smith gets turned into a celery bush (and likes it) is high-octane nightmare fuel.

edit: scooped by the minutes it took me to find the nightmare episode. It turns out I'd forgotten the worst of it. DON'T google "Will Robinson Useful Cog".

Two episodes in on the reboot. Not planning to watch the rest.

I would guess the 'nitro' or a 'bandit' (leaning more to the bandit)
Rex

I found it interesting that the intro included model rocketry into the history line being presented. No, it surely isn't a Drifter, but at first glance, that's what came to mind. I, for one, have caught and posted a couple of commercials using rockets here, and there was a thread about rockets in movies that made the rounds. Thought one of you might be able to identify it. Nice capture btw jlab...Could be old footage someone had as a kid and it could have been any number of rocket manufacturers back then. Maybe a Centuri kit? Not sure.

As far as comparing the TV series' This new one seems more in tune with si-fi realism than that old clunker from the 60's. And the fact that Dr Smith is a criminal chick puts a curve in the story. I've only seen 2 of the episodes so I have no way to truly critique it. I will continue to watch it unless it becomes unwound and unworthy. So far, it isn't too bad.

. Nice capture btw jlab...Could be old footage someone had as a kid and it could have been any number of rocket manufacturers back then. Maybe a Centuri kit? Not sure.

Thanks. Does that intro run in front of the episodes when you stream them trough a TV-connected appliance? I don't really remember seeing that intro when I rolled Episode 1 last night. I spent a few minutes trying to get a better screen-cap by opening Netflix on my computer...but I can't get it to show me the intro and opening credits. It's not even an option NOT to skip the intro.

As far as comparing the TV series' This new one seems more in tune with si-fi realism than that old clunker from the 60's. And the fact that Dr Smith is a criminal chick puts a curve in the story. I've only seen 2 of the episodes so I have no way to truly critique it. I will continue to watch it unless it becomes unwound and unworthy. So far, it isn't too bad.

Does TRF's HTML code support spoiler tags?
Rule 63 Dr. Smith
-- guess not.

Not to perpetuate the humorless feminist scold stereotype or anything, but "criminal chick"? Srsly?

My complaints about the reboot are the complaints of a life-long science fiction fan who needs more than better effects and diversity-casting to inspire a willing suspension of disbelief. I didn't see much that was very surprising, imaginative, or intriguing in the first 100 minutes. I am probably not going to invest any more time in the show. I am jaded and iconoclastic -- so YMMV.

As for the source of the picture, its a stock image. Don't know from which catalog -- I didn't see it in Getty Images or Shutterstock -- but it is on a MESS of articles about how to write a college entrance essay, or where to buy a college entrance essay. There is a really big version here.

https://theinstitute.ieee.org/caree...ion/ieee-launches-tryengineering-summer-camps

I grabbed at full size, cropped it, and blew out the shadows -- maybe this will aid in the identification

unknownrocket.png

I was surprised that the little quotes from the original show's theme music stirred something like nostalgia for me. I only ever saw the original in re-runs, and only when I didn't want to get off the couch to change the channels between shows that I wanted to watch. I really hated that show. Lots of existential creepiness in that show -- it was almost as bad as Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea for stories about people being turned into things.

The episode where Dr. Smith gets turned into a celery bush (and likes it) is high-octane nightmare fuel.

Lost in Space was typical Irwin Allen fare (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (only talking about the TV show), Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants), they usually started with a decent first season with a solid premise and then they veered into silly during season 2 before dashing headlong into just plain stupid in season 3. I mean Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea had mummies, aliens, accidental time travel and assorted other stupid nonsense.

That sure looks like it to me....

Now we need someone with a fin scan. The instructions and such are not on either JimZ or oldrocketplans.com, but the instructions themselves are on the Estes site.

I have a Semroc My Boid with a similar fin shape - it was in my first ever order from them about 9 years ago now....

Now we need someone with a fin scan. The instructions and such are not on either JimZ or oldrocketplans.com, but the instructions themselves are on the Estes site.

I am more worried about the evident lack of competent adult supervision at this launch.

The kid couldn't get the nosecone all the way down. We all know thats because the chute is wadded up and wedged-in solidly between the shock-cord mount and the opposite wall of the body tube.

And what do you think happened to that finger? First time using an X-acto?

I bet they loaded a C6-0 in there.

Its going to be a disaster.

Thanks. Does that intro run in front of the episodes when you stream them trough a TV-connected appliance?

Not to perpetuate the humorless feminist scold stereotype or anything, but "criminal chick"? Srsly?

In front of the first episode was a very short intro of sorts. Then at the front of the 2nd episode was the video I posted. I suppose we'll be seeing that the rest of the season. Also, I stream from my desktop computer and run an HDMI cable to the television.

Regarding Dr Smith, In the 60's he was a saboteur and a whiner. I really don't remember anything about him being criminal. Now, just for the record, I wasn't being sexist about the female Dr Smith. 2 things here, It's a woman Dr Smith and she is a criminal / murderer. That's a far cry from the past character roll.

2171 Sizzler?
By Jorge...Aye think e's got it!

In front of the first episode was a very short intro of sorts. Then at the front of the 2nd episode was the video I posted. I suppose we'll be seeing that the rest of the season. Also, I stream from my desktop computer and run an HDMI cable to the television.

Netflix is weird.

2171 Sizzler?

By Jorge...Aye think e's got it!

Group effort. BEC and Leo spotted the modern features of the engine retainer. I just opened the most recent Estes catalog I have on this machine and flipped through the pages looking for the fins. FWIW, until I looked more closely at the catalog and noticed the drop-away bombs, I was going to guess it was a Meteor Masher.

Back