Madcow 54 mm motor retainer ? Fibreglass LDRS Avalanche

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddmanrockets

Reaction score
quick ? What motor retainer are you using for Madcow 54 mm fiberglass motor tubes ??? I ordered this one (Aero Pack 54mm Retainer (Fiberglass Motor Tubes) (RA54P) and it seems like I'll have to do a lot of sanding to get it to fit. It's for the LDRS Avalanche

I usually use the MD version, setting the length for the longest motor I intend to use. Shorter motors are accommodated using a short spacing rod.
https://aeropack.net/min_dia_retainers.asp

Think he’s referring to the OD of MMT. I’ve seen same problem on other kits. Some tubes the retainer fits like a glove, others have to sand the bejesus out of it.

I have the same issue with the Avalanche MMt as well. Aero Pack 54mm Retainer does not slip on as with other MMTs.

quick ? What motor retainer are you using for Madcow 54 mm fiberglass motor tubes ??? I ordered this one (Aero Pack 54mm Retainer (Fiberglass Motor Tubes) (RA54P) and it seems like I'll have to do a lot of sanding to get it to fit. It's for the LDRS Avalanche

That is normal. Just take a Dermal tool with sanding drum and go around the MMT it will make quick work out of the sanding. Also I would bet the fin slots will need some sanding out also. Once again use a Dermal tool with a cut off wheel. I don't try to cut the slot wider I just put the cut off wheel side in the slot and kind of sand the slot wider. That also takes very little time. A Dermal tool is a fiberglass kit builders best friend.

thx for all the responses I should have asked this ? before I spent the $s for the one that was supposed to fit. I have a couple of the same MM that I salvaged off some rockets that were given to me. They fit a paper 54 mm tube no problem but I would have to dremel the mm tube with the others. Well at least now I have a retainer for my 2 stage Nike-Apache Thx again

Back