1.31 upscale Screaming Eagle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
So I got my father an Estes Screaming Eagle kit, thought to myself, this would be cool but just a little bigger, and maybe 2 - 18mm engines. Thus began another scratch build.

Started off with calipers and some BT-55 tube
Water bottle engine retainers
and the struggle to figure out the nose cone.

bZOQ9yN.jpg

JVC2h17.jpg

Figured out the twin engine pods - both vent into the main tube for parachute deploy

7Wjzyxv.jpg

Then started in on the nose cone

tiUklcw.jpg

turned out pretty cool

1jQaSje.jpg

Papered everything and started assembly

ZuBJAch.jpg

Zp90Afy.jpg

BZFMLJl.jpg

DQcm6is.jpg

I am re-thinking the missiles - the first try was with stuff I had and they are a bit too big. oh well, another trip to the hobby store :)

Last edited:
Very Cool! Clustered airplane rockets rule! You can use JB plastic epoxy weld clay on the nose cone for the canopy if the wood filler is not durable enough. Nice heavy epoxy clay up front and it is easy to shape & sand. The missiles on the kit are to equalize out some of the asymmetric drag. The capped off engine tubes will have an effect with the airflow down the ducts, but more junk in the trunk is good as long as it is symmetrical drag. . . right?

Your retainers will make nice after burner nozzles!

Paint scheme?

You will have to build an SU 35 adversary for a nice "SKIES OVER SYRIA" dual launch.

lol - bigger is better! - after how big my 2.24 SR-71 came out i figured i should back it down a bit :) - that and i already had the tubes and nose cone :)

the canopy is mostly balsa with wood filler just to transition and fill some of the grain.

lol - bigger is better! - after how big my 2.24 SR-71 came out i figured i should back it down a bit :) - that and i already had the tubes and nose cone :)

the canopy is mostly balsa with wood filler just to transition and fill some of the grain.

You have enough room in the nose cone for clay/shot so your balsa/filler canopy is great. I was concerned the filler might chip or break from the plastic as a result of flight/landing impacts. Bondo or squadron putty sticks a little better to plastic but you should be fine. And what is a little damage to the hardened oddroc flier; just a flesh wound. . . it will buff right out!

Bigger is better. Big Boyz with Big Toyz!

got a little time on the Up scale screaming eagle - I am thinking F-18 type motif.
I re-=did the missles, these new ones look more scale and are cleaner.
and first coat of grey
K1EiOkg.jpg

Kd7Tnzj.jpg

Ngg2f2k.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice upscale there JJSR - I like it a lot

Nut, it has not gone up yet - 8" snow on the ground here - going to be a while :)

Back