Getting Started in MicroMaxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just getting back into Rocketry after a few weeks/ months/ years away. I have a number of LPR projects as well as a Level 1 build started, but I am also really interested in Micro. How should I start? I have found a few starter kits, but I am not sure I am seeing everything that is available, unless I am missing something Quest has a couple of launch kits, but no other rockets. I am kind of looking for a Launch Pad and at least 6 rockets plus motors/streamers. Over time I will get some rocket bodies and customize my own designs, but I want to start with off the shelf stuff. Thanks for the help.

Greg

As one BAR to another, welcome back to the sport. Fliskits has a large selection of MMX kits, including some very exotic designs. They also carry the parts for scratch building. Instead of buying a separate launch system, you can buy a micro rod that piggy backs onto a standard rod at erockets:

https://www.erockets.biz/erockets-micro-maxx-launch-rod-and-holder-er-9080/

This way you can use your existing launch system. They also just came out with 4 new MMX kits.
ASP I believe still carries a couple of MMX kits. Art Applewhite Designs has a few cardstock MMX designs, and they're free.

Good thing about Micro Maxx is you can launch at any decent sized area ( small field, school yard, big back yard) and not lose your rocket. Unexpected break in the weather? Go launch. And it won't break your pocketbook. Cheers.

How are these guys and gals even assembling kits so small?!?

Simple. They're hobbyists and don't spend endless hours with their face buried in the computer trying to get parts made with tolerances of 0.0000000784".

A final note. Fliskits is officially closed. No longer selling mailorder. Sorry robot-engineer

As others have mentioned you might want to join us over on the MicroMaxx Yahoo. group. I have over 150 different Micro Maxx 1-Page plans in the files section that are free to anyone to download. My current Micro Fleet is over 250 different rockets currently. You can see all of them in McCoy's Micro Wonder Works file in the Group pics forum here along with many build threads in the MMX forum here.

As far as currently available kits; I'm so sorry to confirm that Fliskits is indeed closed to on-line purchase. Some of Semroc's are now availavle from e-rockets, ASP also has a few MMX scale kits that are interesting, Quest is the original designer of MMX and the place MMX motors come from. there are two types of motors currently available MMX-II and MMX-II-NE the NE is NO Ejection which is an After Market Manufacturer altered MMX-II that is used as a Booster motor. YES! 2 and 3 stage micros are flying. The .82sec delay between motor burn-out and ignition of the upper stage is sometime heart stopping but is very possible. As well as 1 to 12 motor micro clusters.

I finally tried my hand a MMX rockets here during COVID. However, I cannot for the life of me get the engines to ignite. I am even thinking of using canon fuse or dipping the starters that they provide. Any suggestions?

Are you using the eRockets launch rod mentioned earlier? The end of the starter is very delicate but you should be able to get it straight and just sit the motor down on top of it.

What starter system are you using? I've flown these often using various clubs's 12V systems.

I finally tried my hand a MMX rockets here during COVID. However, I cannot for the life of me get the engines to ignite. I am even thinking of using canon fuse or dipping the starters that they provide. Any suggestions?

Are you using the 9V controller that comes with micro maxx starter sets? If so, use a different controller. Those 9V ones are crap. I was having the same problem until I used my regular Estes controller. Problem solved.

As others have already said, they are much easier to ignite with 12V systems. A brand new 9V batter *can* work, but my success rate is MUCH better with 12V.

All - Thanks for the notes. I have tried the normal Quest MicroMaxx 9V starter as well as my standard Estes starter. Neither work. I can get the ignitors to heat up (I can actually see the wire turn red), but they just don't ignite the motors. I will try a larger battery.

If they heat up and turn red but don't ignite the motor then they are not contacting the propellant.
Make sure the igniter is all the way up the nozzle.

Are you installing the igniters into the motors the same as you would with larger motors? If so, that might explain your problem. As @WillMarchant pointed out above, the ingiters are very fragile. You may be creating a short when you install them. I suggest you find a way to stabilize the igniter in place and then lower the rocket onto it. That is what I do (see attached)

Attachments

• Micro launch pad.jpg
    Micro launch pad.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 98
I typically use an Estes 6 volt (four 1 1/2 AA battery) controller to launch Micro Maxx motors.
Using a six volt controller you've got to press and hold the launch button for a few seconds to get ignition.
One good thing about a 6 volt system, it won't usually burn through and break the wire at the top of a MMX igniter.

Here's a blog post about one long lasting igniter -
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/10/igniter-that-refuses-to-die.html

Attachments

• 10th Launch Igniter_WEB.jpg
    10th Launch Igniter_WEB.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
Glad I stubled on this thread. Discovered micromaxx recently and planning on ordering some kits. Seems there's a lot to know, like it uses different igniters and launch equipment for starters. Now I know I need to order more than just the kits. What size launch rods do these use?

I've tried to access the yahoo group via link but it seems it's dead. Any other online resource for Micromax kit plans?

Back