Eggtimer (Quantum) mounting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an Eggtimer Quantum, and as I'm about to mounting it, I realise the components are mighty close to the mounting holes. But man, those holes are big for a #2, and no head space for a #4.. The 'real estate' around the holes in almost non existent. #2 screws ('servo' screws) on standoffs seems right.. I guess I don't have to be too accurate with the hole placement on the sled!

I mounted one a couple of days ago, I used 3 x M3 and 1 x M2 bolts with nuts. Instead of stand-offs I used a short section of vinyl tubing on the bolt. The M2 is just a tiny bit bigger than the hole in the Quantum so I added a washer there as well.

4uR8kzU.jpg

cheers - mark

I use 2-56 nylon screw as mounting for my Eggfinder Quantum, there is something about having metal screws that close to components that makes me a bit nervous, and I can trim the head of the screw easily enough, or put a nut on top the board and use the screw head on the back of the sled as the nuts with the flats sometimes fit better. If I am worried about exceleration shearing the screws I can always glue or build a bulkhead for the altimeter to push against at both ends.

Nike Cajun10.jpgNike Cajun11.jpgNike Cajun12.jpg

I use M3 socket cap screws for mounting electronics. Partly because I already have a bunch of them, but they fit well and have the needed clearance for nearby components on every board I've use so far. I also have matching heat-set inserts so I can use 3D printed mount plates and easily put strong threads where I want them.

Hi,
I have an Eggtimer Quantum, and as I'm about to mounting it, I realise the components are mighty close to the mounting holes. But man, those holes are big for a #2, and no head space for a #4.. The 'real estate' around the holes in almost non existent. #2 screws ('servo' screws) on standoffs seems right.. I guess I don't have to be too accurate with the hole placement on the sled!

Paul,

Did you build the Quantums yourself? I have a couple of un-built Quarks but thinking I would rather have gotten the Quantums.

We recommend that you either use nylon hardware or that you put nylon washers and spacers between the board and your screws and sled. This goes for all of our products, not just the Quantum... it prevents any chance of shorts due to screw heads/nuts.

I normally try to use insulated / non conducting hardware. And I've typically designed boards (asked for) with screw heads in mind. This one just seems to be overly tight on space..

Back