Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Flight Logging

Flight Logging

Hello all,

I am wondering how everybody tracks their Launch logs. I am playing around with a Workflow on the iPhone to collect Location, Date/Time, then prompt me for details like Rocket, Motor, Parachute, and and a bunch of other details. I can then export this data as a CSV file. Before I do too much work on it, I just wanted to see what other people do and what data people track. Thanks for the help.

Greg

Greg
    Robot-Engineer.com
    NAR # 218487 L0
    TRA # 17953 L0
    Currently building L1 - Mad Cow Super DX3 Fiberglass

Completely depends on how obsessive you want to be about it. I use the flight log feature at https://www.rocketreviews.com/ myself.

I have been using a pencil and side-spiral-bound 3x5 notebook - Iím on the seventh one since I became a BAR. Iíd love to have something electronic but Iím a one-finger text entry person on my iPhone and thatís just too slow.

I typically record the date and location at the beginning of the entry, then list, for each flight, the following:

Model, flight number for that model, motor(s), sometimes motor date code
    Altimeter data if any
    Some short notes on how well each phase of flight went and anything else noteworthy about the flight.

In the 3x5 notebook that typically means two or three flight entries per page. When Iím flying an AltimeterThree I just note the apogee in the notebook and rename the flight data in the app with the model and flight number so I can cross-reference later.

I used to keep a similar 3x5 notebook for each of my RC airplanes but for rockets thatís too many little books, so Iím just keeping the data chronologically.
    Bernard Cawley
    NAR 89040 L1
    AMA 42160
    KG7AIE

I donít if it will meet your needs but you might want to look at Smart Launch for iOS: SmartLaunch 2 by GetSmart Software. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smar...568729036?mt=8

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I use a spreadsheet with the following headings:
    Date Rocket Name Motor Weight (lb/oz) Diameter (in) Cd Ejection/Altitude Wind (mph) Post Flight Status Flight Location Notes
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"
    the Wizard of Oz

Member Oregon Rocketry and Eugene Rocketry

At the range I jot down flights in a 3x5 spiral notebook. When I have time I transfer the info to my actual log, which is an Excel Spreadsheet. I have columns for date, location, rocket, motor, altitude, speed, and notes. At the bottom I have formulas for total flights, flights per rocket, flights for each favorite motor (for instance, I fly a lot of I180 and H123), flights per impulse F thru M, and flights per year.

Relatively simple and it gives me data to see what I’m doing. For instance: my cardboard fleet gets about 11 flights before they get retired, I’ve flown I impulse the most (I would have thought it was H if I hadn’t tracked it), I average 16 HPR flights a year, my favorite pizza topping is pepperoni, etc.
    NAR
    L1: 2/2/13, Madcow 4" Patriot. CTI H143
    L2: 9/2/14, Madcow 4" AGM33 Pike. CTI J335. 2,878 ft, 418 mph
    L3: 1/7/17, Wildman Drago XL. AT M1500. 13,559 ft, 1,017 mph, Mach 1.2

I've been using the My Flights log on Rocket Reviews since 2008 https://www.rocketreviews.com/my-flights-7157.html

Sign up and log your flights. They provide analysis and graphs of annual and long term use.
    Handeman

TRA #09903 L3 3/29/2015

"If you don't use your head, you have to use your feet!" my Dad

Tripoli Central Virginia #25 - BattlePark.org

I've created OR model files for each of my rockets that I keep on a netbook that I bring with me to launches.

If you double-tap the top-most level in a model you'll get a "Rocket configuration" window that opens up, and within that there's a "Comments" section that I update every time I launch a rocket. I like keeping track of things this way as it saves me from having to go looking through a notebook for the last time I flew that particular rocket, or for a particular detail that happened on some flight - all the information about that particular rocket is right where I need it. I keep track of what motors I've flown it on, what delay I used (since I always seem to be tinkering with that), how much powder was used for ejection charges (where applicable), and the results of how all those worked. It also gives me a good place to make notes for things I need to remember to do on future launches of a particular model that I'd definitely forget if I didn't write down... The downside is it's not really "searchable" (in a database sense), but I know exactly where to find all the data I need, and it's easy to evolve the information I record as I find new things I need to keep track of.
    Kevin McLeod
    ...With enough thrust, lift is irrelevant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    I've created OR model files for each of my rockets that I keep on a netbook that I bring with me to launches.

If you double-tap the top-most level in a model you'll get a "Rocket configuration" window that opens up, and within that there's a "Comments" section that I update every time I launch a rocket. I like keeping track of things this way as it saves me from having to go looking through a notebook for the last time I flew that particular rocket, or for a particular detail that happened on some flight - all the information about that particular rocket is right where I need it.
    That's a interesting idea. I wonder how much that "comments" field can hold. I fly LPR/MPR and have several models with 20+ flights on them (one with 75).

I agree that going back through a notebook (or notebooks) for prior flight data is a pain. That's probably the biggest downside for me to the paper-based system I mentioned above.
    Bernard Cawley
    NAR 89040 L1
    AMA 42160
    KG7AIE

Quote Originally Posted by Robot-Engineer View Post
    Hello all,

I am wondering how everybody tracks their Launch logs. I am playing around with a Workflow on the iPhone to collect Location, Date/Time, then prompt me for details like Rocket, Motor, Parachute, and and a bunch of other details. I can then export this data as a CSV file. Before I do too much work on it, I just wanted to see what other people do and what data people track. Thanks for the help.

Greg
    I ended up building an iPhone flight log app using airdata - a free cloud based DB with clients for iPhone, Mac and pc / andriod:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...-an-iphone-app

There are instructions in the linked post on how to clone the DB for your own use. Iíve got a little over 100 flight logged in it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
    Reasonably new to rocketry and hailing from the land down under.. I speak metric... I know not of these feet and inches you speak of...

QRS: #193
    AMRS: #148

AMRS L1 (2018-03-18 - Mk4 Rocket Propelled Companion Pod)

Quote Originally Posted by BEC View Post
    I wonder how much that "comments" field can hold. I fly LPR/MPR and have several models with 20+ flights on them (one with 75).
    I'm not sure what the limit is, but I just tried adding a whole lot of text to the field. It grew the model file size from 5k to 7k (so 2k of extra text) and it just kept on taking it. It may very well be that there's virtually no limit, but I don't think you'll run in to trouble even with your +75 flight model.

Kevin McLeod
    ...With enough thrust, lift is irrelevant!!!