Should I go a different route?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoAP

Reaction score
I’m in the planning stages of my L3 attempt. I’m trying to use what I have in the build pile. I have a Wildman Drago 4 XL with a 75mm hole. I also have a Loki 76/6000 case. The problem I see is that it’s simming to extremes. Alt around 19K, speed 1582 Mph. I have confidence in my dual deploy capabilities but was wondering if I should build something “fatter” to keep it low and slow?

Guide me my friends.

I know what Nick Adams would say “going in style” haha:lol:

Get a Loki 76/8000 case :)

What's the waiver where you fly?

Oh dear.

The highest waiver near me is 18K I beleive at Tripoli Mid Ohio. So I’d have to build it heavy or maybe go with the M900 long burn to keep it under the waiver.

You could use a different load, but even the M900 I used would probably really punch that Drago. I flew an Ultimate Darkstar, a fair bit bigger and heavier.

But hey, if you're under the waiver it's legit... :)

My opinion alone: Fly for your cert what you want to fly...as long as you can do it safely (and under your waiver). To me, the point isn't the cert. The cert is a by-product of the flight...the way you look at this may be different than me though.

For perspective, I failed my first L3 attempt because the main came out at apogee (I know this is a point of debate with some folks, please don't do it here). However, I flew the rocket I wanted to, and I have successfully flown an M-motor...just not to the letter of my flight plan, so no cert. For my next attempt I'm doing a 75 MD rocket to about 30k, because that is what I want to fly, and I really don't feel like trying again with the V2. These rockets and motors are too expensive to build and fly one you aren't really in to.

Also, there is a 50K waiver at Airfest...just sayin.

Last edited:
Oh dear.

The highest waiver near me is 18K I beleive at Tripoli Mid Ohio. So I’d have to build it heavy or maybe go with the M900 long burn to keep it under the waiver.

The M900 is really fun, just sayin....

I just flew a Drago 4XL with a CTI M1675, not too different than your Loki 76/6000. It flew fine to 14K... if you have the motor already you'll be fine. You might have to change out the motor mount, though...

My opinion alone: Fly for your cert what you want to fly...as long as you can do it safely (and under your waiver). To me, the point isn't the cert. The cert is a by-product of the flight...the way you look at this may be different than me though.

For perspective, I failed my first L3 attempt because the main came out at apogee (I know this is a point of debate with some folks, please don't do it here). However, I flew the rocket I wanted to, and I have successfully flown an M-motor...just not to the letter of my flight plan, so no cert. For my next attempt I'm doing a 75 MD rocket to about 30k, because that is what I want to fly, and I really don't feel like trying again with the V2. These rockets and motors are too expensive to build and fly one you aren't really in to.

Also, there is a 50K waiver at Airfest...just sayin.

Chris it just hit me when I read your post... I care more about pushing and expanding MY skills rather than just getting a new tie tack from Tripoli. That being said, like others have mentioned. If it’s legal...why not? I also just now remembered that I can try for L3 many times. For some reason I was thinking you only get one shot at it. Sometimes I’m brain dead.

My main goal is to be able to hear a large motor echo....from MY rocket! What a beautiful sound.

Chris it just hit me when I read your post... I care more about pushing and expanding MY skills rather than just getting a new tie tack from Tripoli. That being said, like others have mentioned. If it’s legal...why not? I also just now remembered that I can try for L3 many times. For some reason I was thinking you only get one shot at it. Sometimes I’m brain dead.

My main goal is to be able to hear a large motor echo....from MY rocket! What a beautiful sound.

The only issue is the nearest waiver or if one is willing to travel to do the certification. If they have to build large to keep it under a waiver then there is the storage issue. If one goes high and has to travel then if they blow it, they'll have to wait until
they're able to make it back to the venue to try again or "build large" and do the cert locally.

Problem with 4" rockets is they tend to go high on M's no matter what M one uses. Can try diddling with a longneck or build heavy but it's still going to go pretty high.
Sound is irrelvent on a certification flight. If you don't get it back, a great liftoff is poor consolation. Kurt

The only issue is the nearest waiver or if one is willing to travel to do the certification. If they have to build large to keep it under a waiver then there is the storage issue. If one goes high and has to travel then if they blow it, they'll have to wait until
they're able to make it back to the venue to try again or "build large" and do the cert locally.

Problem with 4" rockets is they tend to go high on M's no matter what M one uses. Can try diddling with a longneck or build heavy but it's still going to go pretty high.
Sound is irrelvent on a certification flight. If you don't get it back, a great liftoff is poor consolation. Kurt

I use eggfinder gps tracking so hopefully I get it back. But hey, if not I still get my launch smile and anxiety.

Chris, man I’m excited to read this!! Mid Ohio great field and people, but 18K hmm I’d like to see you get it back.
M900 oh yea, you have motor, I will Travel just to watch that!
Airfest would be awesome, but I’d sure like to see that flown around here.

I have no suggestions here, I know your skills , just find a field and let’s rip . I vote long burn M!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I use eggfinder gps tracking so hopefully I get it back. But hey, if not I still get my launch smile and anxiety.

I've flown an eggfinder full sized over 18k and an eggfinder mini over 16k. Lost track on boost, both over Mach 2 so expected, but picked back up near apogee. Walked right up to both rockets. Eggfinder well built, and well secured are up to the job you describe.

Chris, man I’m excited to read this!! Mid Ohio great field and people, but 18K hmm I’d like to see you get it back.
M900 oh yea, you have motor, I will Travel just to watch that!
Airfest would be awesome, but I’d sure like to see that flown around here.

I have no suggestions here, I know your skills , just find a field and let’s rip . I vote long burn M!

Man Nick I called that one hahaaha. I’m thinking Mid Ohio will be the place. I weighed all the parts tonight to get actual values for Open Rocket. It weighs a bit more than the default file which is good news. Simmed out at 17k on the M900 long burn. Still have a 10:1 thrust ratio!

I've flown an eggfinder full sized over 18k and an eggfinder mini over 16k. Lost track on boost, both over Mach 2 so expected, but picked back up near apogee. Walked right up to both rockets. Eggfinder well built, and well secured are up to the job you describe.

That’s great news!

As others have said, build and fly something that will suit you and make you happy. If it is Mach 2 then so be it. If you build it suitably it will take the flight well and you go home happy.

Don't be too freaked out about Mach+. I had one go to Mach 1.8 and didn't even burn the paint (automotive two-pack) :(. You will need to build properly, but it is achievable.

You will need tracking if you go anywhere near that high at the TMO field. Way to many trees and farms. Ohio ain't the desert!

Yea I’m thinking 10K is even pushing it there, I L2 there and it’s a great field but not for that alt. Maybe Gary will chime in on his max altitude there

I’m in the planning stages of my L3 attempt. I’m trying to use what I have in the build pile. I have a Wildman Drago 4 XL with a 75mm hole. I also have a Loki 76/6000 case.

Guide me my friends.

So whats the question? What to drink in celebration? I like bushmills.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned *ask your TAP/L3CC* they have to witness the flight. I prefer to be able to see the whole flight.

You could always use a smaller motor. A little 4 grain AT M1297 will keep a 4" 'glass bird with 3/16" thick fins well under your 15K waiver. (My Comp4 does ~12K.) Bring it back to your TAPs for inspection, and get an autograph.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m still in the planning stages as I stated. The main thing I wanted to see is if I should stay lower and slower with a fatter rocket. Still have to see what what the TAP wants and where to fly.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m still in the planning stages as I stated. The main thing I wanted to see is if I should stay lower and slower with a fatter rocket. Still have to see what what the TAP wants and where to fly.

Yup... talk to your TAP and work with the waiver.

L3 is really 'just another rocket', with a larger motor. Its also the largest door opener in rocketry and shouldn't be taken lightly. I think your approach is perfect.

Back