Madcow Rocketry Hump Day Happy Hour sale yesterday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhildinger

Reaction score
Was anyone else able to capitalize on Madcow's sale yesterday? They had the 4" Fiberglass Frenzy XL and and the 4" Fiberglass DX3 XL on sale for $249. I managed to pick up the Frenzy XL before the boss found out... :wink:

Mine will be in a frenzy when the Frenzy XL shows up on the door. I just got my L1 last weekend, and now am already planning L3 (L2 being built currently). I may have a problem.....

We all have this problem. This is our support group. You guys are enablers. I "accidentally" put both sale rockets in my cart and "accidentally" completed the order.

Don't think of it as spending $500, rather think of it as saving $240!!

Mine will be in a frenzy when the Frenzy XL shows up on the door. I just got my L1 last weekend, and now am already planning L3 (L2 being built currently). I may have a problem.....

Don't be in a big hurry to get to L-3 Enjoy the ride. I would bet if you get your L-3 in a short time you will be out of rocketry in a year or less after your L-3 flight.

Have fun at all levels

I got a Frenzy XL and an Avalanche. After the Black Friday experience, I was checked out in under 45 seconds - but it looks like that wasn't necessary.

We all have this problem. This is our support group. You guys are enablers. I "accidentally" put both sale rockets in my cart and "accidentally" completed the order.
You tripped and hit the add to cart button. Then when you were pulling your self up you added the other one. Then you walked away and the cat walked across the keyboard and just happened to hit all the right keys to the credit card number.

Has anybody received a ship notification from this sale? I have not, and I checked on the website and my order shows as "Awaiting fulfillment"...

-Robert

Has anybody received a ship notification from this sale? I have not, and I checked on the website and my order shows as "Awaiting fulfillment"...

-Robert
I have not. I feel like it may have been a pre-sale and they are making the kits now.

I have two tracking numbers for my order; one from CA that shipped Monday 4/16 and one from PA that shipped yesterday.

From their Black Friday FAQ:
Everything on our website is already kitted, in stock and read to ship - Madcow never sells something we don't have in stock already. With that being said, it may take us a several weeks to get through all of the shipments for this sale, so please be patient.

I usually choose bargain shipping, so I've had packages that made some leisurely and convoluted cross-country journeys, but that's another story. :)

I'm not sure the Black Friday FAQ is an appropriate comparison here. The hump day sale was for a limited run of 80-90 kits and not a site-wide sale, and I'm not sure they actually sold all of them. But I chose the cheapest shipping option, so maybe that's coming into play here...

I'm not sure the Black Friday FAQ is an appropriate comparison here. The hump day sale was for a limited run of 80-90 kits and not a site-wide sale, and I'm not sure they actually sold all of them. But I chose the cheapest shipping option, so maybe that's coming into play here...
I just order stuff and wait. It gets here when it gets here.

A while back Mike at MC told me they were getting set up to slot and cut the tubes in house. So when they run a sale I would guess they are very busy. I wouldn't think they would have the shop space for 200 completed kits that are all packaged up ready to be shipped. So when a sale is run it may take a little longer to ship. I ordered a custom 4" molded fin Nike Smoke and it took about 10 days to ship. No problem by me.

Is everyone else still waiting for their rockets to ship? It's been nearly 3 weeks now with no communication from Madcow at all, and no movement on my order...

Sounds like Madcow caught the case of Curtisitius that’s been going around.

Thats a shame

Is everyone else still waiting for their rockets to ship? It's been nearly 3 weeks now with no communication from Madcow at all, and no movement on my order...

I haven't heard anything either. It's disappointing as far as customer service goes but I'm not going to touch these for a few months anyway. Too busy building other rockets for LDRS.

Sounds like Madcow caught the case of Curtisitius that’s been going around.

Thats a shame

I returned a product to Madcow and was promised a refund. That was a month and a half ago. USPS shows shipment delivered. No refund. Madcow has been my go-to shop, but I, too, am getting frustrated.

I returned a product to Madcow and was promised a refund. That was a month and a half ago. USPS shows shipment delivered. No refund. Madcow has been my go-to shop, but I, too, am getting frustrated.
I've called them a few times and they answered the phone. It's worth a try.

He has been my goto since I got back into the hobby. But your right, a little discouraging since the sale was limited to in-stock supply, you would assume they would ship out soon. I have noticed he ships web orders very timely though.

What galls me even more about this situation is that Madcow held another Hump Day sale on April 25th for 20 Mantis kits, when they haven't been able to ship out the kits from the April 11th sale. In both cases there was no mention that this was any kind of a "pre-sale" on unfinished kits or that we should expect shipment delays. This has the appearance of a company trying to raise money now but deliver later, relying on customer goodwill to forgive them for the poor service.

What galls me even more about this situation is that Madcow held another Hump Day sale on April 25th for 20 Mantis kits, when they haven't been able to ship out the kits from the April 11th sale. In both cases there was no mention that this was any kind of a "pre-sale" on unfinished kits or that we should expect shipment delays. This has the appearance of a company trying to raise money now but deliver later, relying on customer goodwill to forgive them for the poor service.

I didn't order from the April 11th sale but I did order one of the Mantis kits on the 25th and it was delivered yesterday.

I just got an email response to my enquiry as to the status of my order. According to Madcow, they had an issue where they received a wrong part from a supplier that held up the order, so make of that what you will. They also say that they are expecting the correct part today and hope to have all remaining sale orders shipped out within the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Curtisitius? What is that in reference to?

I haven't heard anything either. It's disappointing as far as customer service goes but I'm not going to touch these for a few months anyway. Too busy building other rockets for LDRS.

He has been my goto since I got back into the hobby. But your right, a little discouraging since the sale was limited to in-stock supply, you would assume they would ship out soon. I have noticed he ships web orders very timely though.

I just got an email response to my enquiry as to the status of my order. According to Madcow, they had an issue where they received a wrong part from a supplier that held up the order, so make of that what you will. They also say that they are expecting the correct part today and hope to have all remaining sale orders shipped out within the next couple of days.

Its a reference to the fiberglass supplier Madcow uses. In the past, Madcow was very reliable. Rocktery Warehouse was the other major outlet for that supplier after Wildman stopped buying from him (Curtis Turner) and found his own supply. RW was well known for selling things they didn't have and making people wait very very long times, with little to no contact. Sometimes doing things like, taking trips to Everest after a major sale without fulfilling the majority of the orders. When RW closed, all that business and kits got pushed at Madcow. We were all hoping we'd get access to the larger variety of kits at Madcow service levels.

Unfortunately, it seems the RW service levels have infected Madcow.

Its a reference to the fiberglass supplier Madcow uses. In the past, Madcow was very reliable. Rocktery Warehouse was the other major outlet for that supplier after Wildman stopped buying from him (Curtis Turner) and found his own supply. RW was well known for selling things they didn't have and making people wait very very long times, with little to no contact. Sometimes doing things like, taking trips to Everest after a major sale without fulfilling the majority of the orders. When RW closed, all that business and kits got pushed at Madcow. We were all hoping we'd get access to the larger variety of kits at Madcow service levels.

Unfortunately, it seems the RW service levels have infected Madcow.

David I have to disagree with you 100% Mad Cow is not even close to the service of the old RW. Mike has done a great job with the RW line. If a kit is out of stock you can't order it. When I owned Top Flight Recovery MC would order 1500 chutes 4-5 times a year. That is lot of kits sold. Why do people have to vent their order problems on TRF? It should be between MC and the customer. Like I said MC does a great job and sure from time to time a mix up will happen.

Gary

Why do people have to vent their order problems on TRF? It should be between MC and the customer. Like I said MC does a great job and sure from time to time a mix up will happen.
Gary

It's an internet world. In an industry that caters to a smallish community/customer base. People are going to talk about their experiences - good or bad.

I have no problem talking about how Active Powersports screwed me over lately. That's why I use AMEX when I shop online.

Why do people have to vent their order problems on TRF? It should be between MC and the customer.

People vent when companies forget about communication, which seems to be happening a lot in rocketry these days. Madcow could have easily headed-off any forum complaints by simply messaging the people whose orders were being delayed and letting them know what the problem was. Instead, they remained silent for nearly 3 weeks, and this is the result. In counterpoint, I placed an order from amwprox.com and was immediately notified by Robert DeHate when there was a delay in shipping certain parts of my order - a little communication and everything was good!

I'm not saying MC is a horrible company, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this was an uncommon mistake for them to make. In fact, as long as they make good on my current order I will likely order from them again in the future, but at the same time I think a little public forum slap on the wrist for handling a situation poorly was entirely justified.

-Robert

Last edited:
When there is a marked and noticeable change in a company's actions and behavior, it's going to be talked about.

People vent when companies forget about communication, which seems to be happening a lot in rocketry these days. Madcow could have easily headed-off any forum complaints by simply messaging the people whose orders were being delayed and letting them know what the problem was. Instead, they remained silent for nearly 3 weeks, and this is the result.

Well go figure, from a company that didn't know a tube diameter last year on only one small tube they sold. I'll give Madcow this, give them three or four weeks and they'll fix something. It's like if you catch Madcow at time of high kit orders, forget having insta-service.

Back