Manitoba

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRVDIGR

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an active club in Manitoba? I’d love to get into mid to high power rockets.

Ya I’ve been checking that website regularly but I think it’s been shut down and there has been no reply to my email.

Yeah, not too impressed with CAR..

Did you reach out to your local CAR prefect? or any of the board? someone might respond!

Did you search on Tripoli or NAR sites? I know NAR doesn't have "Canadian" line, but if you're close enough to a US state,y might find one just the other side.. (I did!)

I’ll keep going down the list till I reach someone haha. May have to start a new club! I can certainly do up a website as well if need be. I just sent an email to CAR we will see if someone responds there. I’m completely new to the rocket scene so I’ll figure it all out soon enough. Hopefully there is still something active close by.

NAR clubs do exist in Canada! I recommend chartering with NAR rather than CAR as you can receive $250 per year in grants for your section from NAR. SWARM (in Ontario) has used several grants to purchase launch equipment. There is an NAR club in Alberta and another in Ontario. Better value for your time and effort in my opinion.

www.swarmnar.weebly.com

There certainly used to be a club in Manitoba, but I know it's been a couple years since I've seen any of them come to our launch in Alberta. I'd still recommend staying with CAR, particularly if you end up flying high-power in Canada, but if the club isn't active anymore that may be difficult.

I’d love to know what happened. My search continues

I’d love to fire this back up.

I’d love to know what happened. My search continues

I’d love to fire this back up.

Forming a Tripoli Prefecture requires three Tripoli members, with one Prefect (who must be L2 or above and who must have been in Tripoli for at least one year), one Secretary, and one more member. Something to consider is that Tripoli insurance is effective whether you fly in Canada or the United States. Tripoli currently has four Prefectures in Canada. (Eastern Ontario, Southern Ontario, Alberta, and Rawdon). I’ve flown with members of Tripoli Alberta; they definitely do High Power and they do it well!
With that said, I have always been impressed with the many CAR members I’ve met and flown with.

Last edited:
Keep containing the admin / members at CAR. if you go down the list, you'll eventually find someone who'll respond (and more likely be in, oh, Nova Scotia... maybe not the closest, but can maybe help "push" the admins to respond to you!)

Remember, CAR only has about 100 members.. and the list isn't all that up-to-date..

As Steve said. Contact both TRA & NAR and inquire there if there's a club nearby.

Steve, interesting to note that TRA has 4 prefectures in Canada. I believe the 'Eastern Ontario' club is ORG, and the 'southern Ontario' club is Swarm or CRC. The one is Rawdon (Quebec) opened and closed in about the same day! Surprised it's still listed as there hasn't been any activity in years.. (Unless the guy is holding some sort of grudge, and is holding onto the prefecture..)

Keep containing the admin / members at CAR. if you go down the list, you'll eventually find someone who'll respond (and more likely be in, oh, Nova Scotia... maybe not the closest, but can maybe help "push" the admins to respond to you!)

Remember, CAR only has about 100 members.. and the list isn't all that up-to-date..

As Steve said. Contact both TRA & NAR and inquire there if there's a club nearby.

Steve, interesting to note that TRA has 4 prefectures in Canada. I believe the 'Eastern Ontario' club is ORG, and the 'southern Ontario' club is Swarm or CRC. The one is Rawdon (Quebec) opened and closed in about the same day! Surprised it's still listed as there hasn't been any activity in years.. (Unless the guy is holding some sort of grudge, and is holding onto the prefecture..)

Good to know about Rawdon; I’ll inquire.

Any chance I could get that contact in Manitoba off of you? Looking to get into MPR and wanting some help/knowledge.
Hi Prairie Boy,
I've been a long time lurker here, seeing a another rocketeer from MB has prompted me to post!

I believe I am the contact that Bruce was mentioning back in May. Not sure where your located, I'm about 4 hours outside of Winnipeg.
I used to fly with the MB club back almost 20 years ago but it seems they petered out. I have kept an eye out for any of them or others to fly with and would make the trip to a club once and a while but have not had any success on that front.

I fly Mid power on a farm section (mile x mile) in the spring and fall and low power year round on a school yard right in front of my house. I have made the trip to CAR/ACF's Rock Lake launch in Alberta several times to fly high power but missed out the last couple of years due to family trips on that weekend. Rock Lake is where I met Bruce and many other fine rocketeers!
I'm up to help you out in anyway that I can.
I'd send you a private message to get in touch but I cant seem to find how to do that on here...? Any pointers from TRF'ers on how to do that would be appreciated.
All the best,

Kevin,

Look at the top right of the screen, way up top. you should see a little envelope. you want to start a 'conversation' with Prairie Boy'

Dr Wogz: There are around 200 CAR/ACF members in Canada , yup pretty small.

The TRA Alberta Prefecture is still up and running and current via the Calgary Rocketry page, not close to Manitoba unfortunately. Most launches in Alberta are both CAR/ACF and TRA although not a lot of TRA activity, most people choose one or the other organization.

GRVDIGR: Brad Wall is the Provincial rep for the area and could point you in the right direction. contact him through the bio links https://canadianrocketry.org/car_exec.php

You can also contact me directly through PM here or via [email protected]

I’ve flown with members of Tripoli Alberta; they definitely do High Power and they do it well!
With that said, I have always been impressed with the many CAR members I’ve met and flown with.

Thanks for the kind words Steve. We do have great launches out here, wide open spaces makes for that and the friendly folks that allow us to launch on their land.

Steve,
Any news on the Club in Rawdon QC?

Good question, Dr. Wogz! Either I completely dropped the ball on this or I have forgotten what I discovered, which is equally disappointing of me. I’m sorry. I’ll pick it up again after Thanksgiving.

Edit: I found it in my inbox. Tripoli audited Prefectures in order to determine which were just parked. Rawdon is indeed inactive. If someone wants to revive it we can do that, but otherwise it no longer exists. I’m sorry I didn’t answer immediately.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Steve. We do have great launches out here, wide open spaces makes for that and the friendly folks that allow us to launch on their land.

Ya Steve, would be cool to see you and Dale out again some time!

Good question, Dr. Wogz! Either I completely dropped the ball on this or I have forgotten what I discovered, which is equally disappointing of me. I’m sorry. I’ll pick it up again after Thanksgiving.

Edit: I found it in my inbox. Tripoli audited Prefectures in order to determine which were just parked. Rawdon is indeed inactive. If someone wants to revive it we can do that, but otherwise it no longer exists. I’m sorry I didn’t answer immediately.

Thank you Steve! What I thought, good to know..

I live in Winnipeg, used to be keen on scale Estes stuff as a child. Been thinking of getting back into a bit of rocketry with my son. LH

I live in Winnipeg, used to be keen on scale Estes stuff as a child. Been thinking of getting back into a bit of rocketry with my son. LH
Hey LH

That is just the start of getting back to stuff we did as a kid, when our own get older, maybe we just never grow up....

There is lots of resources here (TRF) but for local support of groups in Manitoba/Winnipeg the list is rather short, well zero actually, at least online and what I know of. No CAR/ACF, NAR or TRA clubs it seems. We have had a few folks travel to Alberta for the HPR launches and were active at one point in time in Manitoba but it seems that has dropped off too.

But that does not mean you can't get started having fun launching.

David

There is actually a flier in Manitoba who is on this forum, look earlier in this thread for FK-3. He flies with his son, but has no organized club. You can help him out!

There seems to be a few of us popping up, I have been busy so I haven’t found a closer place to launch yet myself but hope to find something this summer.

Back