Retro rocket kit or building ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my wife has requested that i build a retro style rocket for her. Think something out of Bugs Bunny. Wide, oblong body.

I'd like to build something perhaps 4+ feet tall, though I'm flexible on that. The closest thing I've found is upscaling a Rocketarium Mega Retro, though that doesn't solve the outer shell/skin. I haven't attempted anything like this previously. Yeah, I know.

Looking for a kit (any size) or ideas on how to make this idea practical. Any input?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Google the Loc Marvin's Wild Ride (V2 with slightly longer body and different fins) while its currently out of print the new owners of Loc might kit one for you, or it would be easy to kit bash and Estes V2 into one.

So, my wife has requested that i build a retro style rocket for her. Think something out of Bugs Bunny. Wide, oblong body.

I'd like to build something perhaps 4+ feet tall, though I'm flexible on that. The closest thing I've found is upscaling a Rocketarium Mega Retro, though that doesn't solve the outer shell/skin. I haven't attempted anything like this previously. [/URL]

Take that, and look up 'strip planking' for model boats. should apply fairly easy, just time consuming! (I've thought about doing this a fair number of times!) You can also use 'squares*' of cardboard (or balsa, or very thin ply) to fill in the spaces between the ribs & spars.

*Some 4 sided geometric shape, to span the perimeter..

Last edited:
Take that, and look up 'strip planking' for model boats. should apply fairly easy, just time consuming! (I've thought about doing this a fair number of times!) You can also use 'squares*' of cardboard (or balsa, or very thin ply) to fill in the spaces between the ribs & spars.

*Some 4 sided geometric shape, to span the perimeter..

Good idea, thanks

Rather than longitudinal panels, like balloon gores or the strip planking on the hull of a ship, you could skin the rocket in a series of truncated conical skins -- like conical transitions between different sized body tubes. Somewhere on the forum there is a discussion about nose-cone fabrication where somebody posted a close-up of the a V2 rocket, in which were visible the circumferential seams between conical fuselage plates.

I couldn't find that particular discussion, but I did find this one

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?26305-Paper-Ogive-Nose-cone&p=234733#post234733

Public Missiles: "Little Lunar Express"

View attachment 342592

I have always liked this design:

View attachment 342596

I love the bottom one. The Little Lunar Express isn't bad; though for the price I'd like to see something larger.

I have a built Lil Lunar Express down in my basement. The fins are WAY too thin. The pods snap off the edges of the fins. It's a shame, because I really wanted to like this rocket... The way it's constructed, there's no way to put a big enough chute in there to avoid fin damage.

Maybe a 3D printed version could be possible
Depending on scale this will not be economical if you need to contract someone to print it. I've had certain 54mm nosecones run $200. Nobody sold that specific math curve. I've had 29mm nosecones done for $50 for student projects. It's tolerances, material, and significant print time that can exaggerate costs.

Back