Estes Star Seeker Completed...Finally!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
This model build was started way back in the summer of 2016 when I first became a BAR. It subsequently got pushed to a back shelf of the workbench where it sat while I worked on other projects. I finally got tired of looking at it and resumed work a couple of weeks ago.
See the full details on my blog.....

Looking forward to flying this one on my favorite small Castle Rock field.

20180411_070658.jpg20180411_070803.jpg

Thanks, y'all!
This build was a little more challenging than I thought it would be. Lots of little parts to get properly aligned and finished.
I am not entirely happy with how the decals turned out. I printed them on clear decal material from HobbyTown, then shot them with two coats of Krylon clear. I expected a long wait time when I immersed the first decal in warm water. After about 30 seconds, I found that it had slid completely off the backing, had curled up, and the edges were severely rippled. I managed to get it into position and press the edges relatively flat by rolling them with a Q-tip. The rest of the decals I separated by holding them in the water with tweezers. Most only took about 5 seconds to separate, and the edge rippling was kept at a minimum.
Looking at the close-ups of the posted pix, I can see that the edges are still a little rough, and the decals seem a little thicker than I like. They don't have that 'painted on' look, but I'll have to live with it.
It's still a neat-looking little bird, overall.
The fin assemblies seem a little bit flimsy, being attached by only a 3/4" worth of root edge. Will be interested to see how they hold up under flight conditions.

As light as that model is I think the streamer will definitely help with fin-ground impact. On heavier upscales those fins would definitely be a weak point and could be made TTW.

Because you liked Star Seeker, you might also like the Estes Starliner. Uses a similar window decal pattern on the nose cone, with really cool air ducts and wing/tail fins.

Yep, I've been eyeballing the Starliner as well as a number of older kits in the futuristic/sci-fi genre. On my rocket building planning list is a purchase of the Estes Sci-Fi nose cone pack, for which I will pick a vintage Estes design that appeals to me that uses each nose cone type. One of these for sure is the Manta Bomber. I just like the overall look of that one.
Currently, I have simultaneous builds of the Satellite Interceptor and Orbital Transport on the work bench. I also have most of the parts kitted up for a clone build of the old K-31 Starblazer.

Back