ROCKET TRAIN - Sneak peak of my up and coming model rocket train. (30 sec clip)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe they are here as well..

I stand corrected, they ARE private property.

https://www.cn.ca/en/safety/frequently-asked-questions

I manage an undisclosed fiber optic network that runs the length of a rail corridor in Canada and I can tell you that Transport Canada has the final say when it comes to what and who access the rail. I can also verify that the larger rails are privately owned, mostly by CNR and CPR including joint ventures and on the West coast there is also BCR.

Beyond any doubt this activity is not only dangerous but highly illegal on many levels and with the current terrorism laws it could get real ugly real fast. In Canada Transport Canada are not the only ones keeping an eye on rail but there are many levels of security from private, to Municipal, Provincial and Federal including our Federal Security agencies, yes plural.

I have no idea how this would be go over with the US authorities but knowing what I know in Canada and having been exposed to the security side of things I would highly discourage anyone from doing this.

So those days of placing pennies on the track in a line and watching the trains crush them into a flat plate as a kid are over?

Man oh man we just got about 1” of snow where I live. This winter will never end and let me have fun.

I guess it will give me time to start on my next project. A model rocket powered mortar system.

My guess is that this thing will weigh *much* too much to do much damage if it jumps the tracks. D or E engines ain't gonna move 8 skate wheels into the air. I think. :)

agree if it jumps probably not a big risk of impact damage, but if it jumps into or across something flammable could be a major safety problem.

I should be able to launch it very soon, it’s finally suppose to stick above freezing. This has been the longest spring change I can remember

Technical question, irregardless of legal concerns (which are many), are these rails continuous welded at each joint, or joined by plates? That may have a major influence on what happens to those bearing at 39/66/72 feet, depending on the joint spacing. That sled many experience a relatively short trip, if that are not welded. BTW, I spend many a wasted youthful hour on my local railroad tracks, only a few blocks from the house I grew up in, but that's another story or two. BTW2, I applaud your creativity, which is severely lacking in most people these days.

Technical question, irregardless of legal concerns (which are many), are these rails continuous welded at each joint, or joined by plates? That may have a major influence on what happens to those bearing at 39/66/72 feet, depending on the joint spacing. That sled many experience a relatively short trip, if that are not welded. BTW, I spend many a wasted youthful hour on my local railroad tracks, only a few blocks from the house I grew up in, but that's another story or two. BTW2, I applaud your creativity, which is severely lacking in most people these days.

thank you for the compliment. I have found that all of my projects here seem to anger or cause me to get a safety speech from about half the people that see them, which is fine. As for the tracks a really am not sure abot how they connect, I’ll look into it. I also grew up right beside train tracks and had lots of fun around them. I was always wary of the trains them selves but as for the tracks me and my siblings were always seeing how flat things got haha.

thank you for the compliment. I have found that all of my projects here seem to anger or cause me to get a safety speech from about half the people that see them, which is fine. As for the tracks a really am not sure abot how they connect, I’ll look into it. I also grew up right beside train tracks and had lots of fun around them. I was always wary of the trains them selves but as for the tracks me and my siblings were always seeing how flat things got haha.

Times have changed, "stuff" that was once considered pretty much benign 30-50 years ago by authorities, now can get your butt in prison. Rocket sleds in snow are cool, but if caught fooling around on railroad tracks like that I'm positive it will not be pleasant for you. There are some of us that are concerned when seeing rocket motors used in a way they are not intended for especially when that use is potentially illegal.

Lets put it this way: Do you think you would get permission to do that if you asked? I don't think you would even get permission to do it on a set of abandoned tracks, do to liability issues.

Launches should be very soon. Sorry for the delay, last weekend was supposed to be the first launch but by some bad luck both my wife's car and mine needed repairs. Hopefully this week or by the weekend I can get two launches off.

Man oh man this project is difficult. I went to launch it today and gave it a good test launch before I strapped a rocket to it. It launched off of the tracks and smashed into a million pieces. Better it happened that way then going 100mph with my expensive camera on it. I’m getting close to quitong on this one.

Back