Q2G2 Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I’ve been out of circulation for a few years for various reasons ( mostly health) and this year
I’m relaunching my program. I noticed while restocking my supplies I have been having a tough time locating Q2G2s. I’d read that Quest was having supply issues in 2016 and was wondering if that had been resolved? If so, who carries them?

Thanks for any input!
Steve.

MJG technologies has two good options. Their FireWire lighter is good for deployment and clusters , as us their new BP lighter. I have used the FireWire for BP clusters up to 8 candles lit with an Aerotech interlock controller, works great. Only have done a 4 motor cluster with the BP lighters thus far. Of the two the BP lighters are more like the Q2G2.

Thanks guys! I have a few packages of Q2G2s left, but I saved them for clusters. I even have few packages of the 8 inch versions. That said, I need to ration them. Thanks for all of the alternatives! Jeez, a guy leaves the scene for a while and the whole hobby changes.
Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Steve

I checked these guys out and I DO like the price!I think I'll order myself a package or two. I've a seven motor planned in the near future so I'll look at the fire wire as well. Would a Pratt Launcher work okay with the Fire Wire?

MJG technologies has two good options. Their FireWire lighter is good for deployment and clusters , as us their new BP lighter. I have used the FireWire for BP clusters up to 8 candles lit with an Aerotech interlock controller, works great. Only have done a 4 motor cluster with the BP lighters thus far. Of the two the BP lighters are more like the Q2G2.

Yeah the Pratt controller should do fine. I am sure you are using these for BP ignition since the thread is about the Q2G2, right?

Hey Guys,
I’d read that Quest was having supply issues in 2016 and was wondering if that had been resolved? If so, who carries them?

The Q2G2s were a side effect of Quest's purchase of motors made in China. I.e. the same company that made the motors made the igniters. Upon buying Quest a few years ago, Aerotech declined to order a new supply of the motors, therefore they have no supply of those igniters. Now that the primary source of Quest motors is Aerotech (see recent posts about Q-Jet motors) you'll see a version of Aerotech's First Fire igniters included with Quest Q-Jet motors. But they will be much more expensive than the Chinese made Q2G2s.

It would take another 'Quest-sized' company to make another order of motors from the Chinese company (at least a full 40ft. shipping container) to get the igniters back on the market. That would be a ton of motors, considering it appears that Quest only made one order of Chinese motors and it took many years to sell through that inventory.

I just ordered a 24 pack hotwire today. Can't wait to try them out!

I bought some e-matches from Blackjack here on TRF a few months ago. He says that they work good for BP clusters. I plan to try them out this year.

I just ordered 3 packs of the MJG technologies BP igniters. There is such a huge need for a good BP igniters now that quest has gone the way of the dodo .
Quest is very much active. The new Qjet motors will be available very soon. They are planning to start shipping them next week to dealers that did pre-orders on them...I'll have them in stock soon.

Back