Minwax laquer based sanding sealer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone has tried this for balsa fins, and if Rustoleum rattle can paint will will go over it with any problems? Cant find the Aerogloss stuff anymore!

Can't help with the minwax, but there are a couple of threads recommending the Brodak brand as a replacement for the Aerogloss products.

I used Minwax Sanding Sealer for years and painted over it with no issues. Krylon, Rusto/2X, Valspar. I started to wonder over the years why I even used the stuff. It did help with assisting with a smoother finish, but lacked in strengthening the balsa. Then I discovered the water based sanding sealers. Deft and Minwax both offer these and they give the same sanding results as the other, but make the balsa more rigid. Easy clean-up is a blessing here also. Neither of them were meant as balsa fillers, in case that is where your thinking was headed.

I havent used the Minwax but I have used the Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer and it works under every paint I have tried over it, so long as its completely cured. The Brodak dope is as dander says recommended, SIGS30 has a comparison/review thread about it a year or two ago.

Back