Stuck in a hotel for 3 weeks.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
Work is sending me to St. Louis for 3 weeks of training. Decided I am going to do a lot of rocket building.

I am bringing a couple from the build pile. But I have also coordinated kit deliveries to the hotel. Big thanks to Mach1rocketry, Bay Area Rocketry, Wildman, Madcow and Toby.

I brought along a Go-Devil 29 and Nike Apache 2 stage.

Mach1 is sending there 3" Black Hole EXT and X-AGM-76 Piercer.

Bay Area is sending the "BAR-None"

Wildman is sending a Darkstar Jr.

Madcow is sending the "Avalanche" and a Go-Devil 38.

Toby is sending an Adventurer 2.

All the above are also sending lots of goodies to get these built. Tooling will be at a minimum, so only fins that come beveled, will be installed beveled.

I will put each rocket in its own reply post with pictures and updates. Building will begin on Monday after parts are clean and dry.

I do plan on getting out on the weekends. Might check out that museum. Also plan to go up in the Arch and do the Budweiser tour.

Welcome to my town! If the rain ever stops and you're around until April 29th, our https://stlouisrocketry.com/ club has a launch at Buder Park.

Also, you must make time to see the City Museum. It's not so much a museum as it is an insane playground that adults and kids have a great time running around in. https://www.citymuseum.org/

And finally, our zoo, art museum, science center, and history museum are all first class and free. Check those out. The zoo is ranked #4 best zoo in the world. Pretty good for a free zoo.

Last edited:
Welcome to my town! If the rain ever stops and you're around until April 29th, our https://stlouisrocketry.com/ club has a launch at Buder Park.

Also, you must make time to see the City Museum. It's not so much a museum as it is an insane playground that adults and kids have a great time running around in. https://www.citymuseum.org/

And finally, our zoo, art museum, science center, and history museum are all first class and free. Check those out. The zoo is ranked #4 best zoo in the world. Pretty good for a free zoo.

I lived in STL from 1998 to 2003, but I never visited the City Museum. It looks awesome! How did I miss out on something that cool?!

To the OP....good luck with the builds. It looks like you will have plenty to keep you busy. I hope you brought plenty of epoxy and popsicle sticks.

You can spray paint in a hotel bathroom. Run the shower on cold, arrange yourself so that over spray goes into the water, don't go too crazy.

kj

You can spray paint in a hotel bathroom. Run the shower on cold, arrange yourself so that over spray goes into the water, don't go too crazy.

kj

lol,,
That's pretty funny,,
Sounds like you're speaking from experience..

Teddy

Have a great trip, we will miss you at LUNAR, but with the rains, maybe we will make a May launch as well! Speed of Cardboard contest is all MINE now! :)

I could live in my garage for 3 weeks, and not finish that many rockets. Have fun, and remember to tip your housekeeper.

Try to get to Capitalist Pig for lunch. Good stuff.

I'd be worried after Vegas about a housekeeper calling the police about the "guy with all the missiles in his hotel room".

Where in St. Louis?

I'm central and have some basic woodworking tools - and a lathe/mill if you need it. I definitely have a belt/disc sander also.

We were supposed to have a HPR launch tomorrow in St. Louis, alas the weather is not favorable, nor is the field we fly in.

Also... When you check out the Science Center, you may want to check this exhibit out! https://www.facebook.com/events/2112433808797432/

Make sure to yell parachute recovery safety system test before you let a deploy charge lose. That Wendover, Utah motel didn't mind... There were people mixing motors in the room next door with grains like coffee can size. Motel got pissed about Dremels but not deploy charges exploding. Student launches and deadlines are so lol. I'll never understand how a Dremel angered them.

Anyways back to St. Louis, if you haven't been on the Arch elevator you gotta try it.

I will be staying in Maryland Heights until the 28th. I do plan on going out for some good eats. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Yes Chris, if I was stuck in my garage with the correct tools for a month I still wouldn't finish them all. But I couldn't let 3 weeks go to waste.

I will be at Flight Safety International for EMB-145xr training during the days. Not really work, but class / simulator time.

So I plan in doing a lot of good surface prep. I'll build up the MM/CR will good fillets. Kevlar Y harnesses will be epoxied in place.

Getting all the fins epoxied in place with T88. Doing some good internal fillets with BSI 30 minutes and chopped FG. I plan on using Rocketpoxy for external fillets on colored fiberglass rockets that will only get a clear coat. I will use JB on the others when I go through the pint kit of Rocketpoxy.

I might get to the Avbay end caps and switch bands.

I would love to hit up a belt sander or router table with a fin jig to do some simple bevels.

I'm all packed up and ready to get on a plane in the morning.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Think you've got enough kits to occupy your time? :) Wow, Eric, you are so industrious.

My parents grew up in STL, my dad near The Bevo Mill and mom near Busch Gardens. They were building the arch when I was young. It was fun to watch it climb into the sky then "suddenly" come together. Safe flights!

Got all the kits washed up, sorted and starting some motor mounts and Y harnesses. Looks like I have my hands full with 9 kits. 0408181631.jpg0408182131.jpg0409181751.jpg0411181656.jpg0411181631.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I’m in Hotel often as well and lug my rocket stuff - Hotels in MO are the place to build, MAC VTS6 and Firestick built in Fenton !
Sanding in room can be hard to hide lol

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I’m in Hotel often as well and lug my rocket stuff - Hotels in MO are the place to build, MAC VTS6 and Firestick built in Fenton !
Sanding in room can be hard to hide lol

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Still can't believe we didn't meet up. It was just bad timing. My parents live in Fenton, and I live about ten minutes from there.

Buddy of mine just cracked the code- we used to be in the field together, and would spend M-F in hotels around the country as we worked on our respective accounts. I've moved up in the company and only travel once a quarter or so (and internationally at that), but he moved to a different outfit where the installs take 4 weeks instead of 1. His last trip was to Show Low AZ, and he found a 3 br Cabin on Air b'n'b for less than a Hampton Inn. He booked that for the month and is enjoy a nice break up in the mountains! If you've got a long-haul trip (more than a week), check out the vacation rental sites! Might be against policy (he's working for a start-up biotech firm), but also is worth a shot!

Back