Too much power!r

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas0840

Reaction score
Frank warned me about using an E15P on my Stratodart... check the video... Frank was right! I have had many great flights with this plane with the E6 motors and have ordered another of his planes. Advice... stick with what has been proven to work!
Youtube search for — Thomas Kempf rocket plane disaster

Last edited:
Frank warned me about using an E15P on my Stratodart... check the video... Frank was right! I have had many great flights with this plane with the E6 motors and have ordered another of his planes. Advice... stick with what has been proven to work!
Youtube search for — Thomas Kempf rocket plane disaster

Thanks for the heads-up. I have the Stratodart, too, and so far it has done well on E6's. I have some E15P's in my inventory and was vaguely thinking of trying them in the Startodart. Well, now I know better. I still have my repaired heavy HobbyLab SR-71, which has flown before with E15P's.

Yep....definitely had plenty of power.

[video=youtube;HJ_oMNjxVfs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ_oMNjxVfs[/video]

Uh Yeah.......as I say on my website, they are optimized for weight and the E-6 thrust curve, and to be easy to build, if I make them stiffer and heavier and they won't glide as well or boost as high on the E-6, the E-6 gets a higher altitude due to less drag at lower speeds and the recent E-15's now are closer to a 34ns motor instead of a 37.5ns E6. If this was a new E-15PW, they are actually E-20PW's now that are still being labeled as E-15PW and have a 8# peak thrust instead of a 2.7# peak. It's much harder to steer a high thrust motor as well especially in the wind, or without wings:)

But at least you have video proof for others and you seem to be taking it pretty well:)

If you get a rtf weight closer to 14-15 oz the E-20/E-15 is probably ok, most of my kits are in the 10.5 to 11.5 oz rtf weight.

Thomas if you don't mind I'd like to share that video on my site as an example to those who feel the need to abuse these poor airplanes that have never harmed anyone:)

Just so you don't feel bad, here is my best flutter example of an overweight upscale of the Mach 10 that came out so heavy I had to use a G-40 instead of a G-12, it's impressive the wing TE got to about 90 degrees to the line of flight before it failed...This model was 8" diameter and 5' wingspan at around 40 oz rtf. For reference that is a 7' long rail it is launching off of.

[video=youtube;mOhngbhZDWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhngbhZDWI[/video]

Frank

Last edited:
At the end of the video, you hear, “Well, they warned me about...” Lol!

Sorry about the rocketplane disaster, but it was fun to watch!

Crawf56 prefers to just use estes 24mm E motors and set the model on fire:) Just kidding, I know you can take it.....

:roll: :tongue: :grin: I swear, I watched the video and thought, "Hey, something went wrong with a Dynasoar Rocket Glider, and it wasn't ME!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here are some simulation numbers for the Stratodart, at 11 oz rtf, you can see that the motors all sim to about the same altitude, the motors cost approx the same per flight but the E-6 keeps the velocity nice and slow and easy to control. And to give some sanity to the conversation, 126fps maps to 85mph which is typical max park flyer speeds, 248fps maps to 170 miles perhour which is a good rocket speed but not for an rc airplane without a lot of reinforcement.

velocities.PNG

Last edited:
Back