Plans for Starlight F-32 Avenger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have plans/dimensions for the Starlight F-32 Avenger rocket? I'd like to build and upscale but I need the original dimensions first. Any help would be appreciated.

I also posted this in Mid Powered Rockets.

I saw your rocket last night Mike. Very nicely done. Your good looking rocket made me want to build one myself. I'm going to use a BT-60 tube so I'll need to increase the dims 1.6 times. I see that the rocket is 14.5 inches in length and a tube diameter of .987. Would you be able to let me know the degrees that the two wings are on the rocket? Of course the vertical stabilizer is at 90 degrees so I guess the wings are around 210 and 330 degrees? About right? Also, would you be able to provide the dims of the wings? Lengths or angles if you can. Looks like the vertical stabilizer is about 2 in tall? Thank you my friend.

Thanks for the compliment, but mine is still in primer and hasn't been photographed yet.
The wings and stabilizer are at the standard 120*-120*-120* position on the tube for a three fin rocket.
The canards are at 90* from the stabilizer, projecting straight out from the BT.

All fin root edge, trailing edge and fin tip are at 90* from each other.
The wings and stabilizer are mounted flush with the rear of the main BT. The canards are mounted 4.25" from the rear of the main BT.

The dimensions for the wing are:
Root edge 2.5"
Trailing edge 3.5"
Wing tip 0.5"
Leading edge 4.0"

Stabilizer dimensions are:
Root edge 1.75"
Trailing edge 2.0"
Stab tip 0.5"
Leading edge 2.5"

Canard dimensions are:
Root edge 0.625" (5/8")
Trailing edge 0.75"
Can. tip 0.25"
Leading edge 1.0"

The 1/8" dowel is cut into two 2.0" pieces for the wing tips, and two 3.0" pieces that go along the sides of the launch lug. These are mounted 2.0" from the rear of the main BT. Launch lug is 2.25" from the rear of the main BT.
The motor mount sticks out the back of the rocket 0.5"
I hope this helps.

Wow Mike. Thank you so much for the detail. This is exactly what I needed my friend. How about I keep you updated on my progress? Since I don't have any of the original decals, I'm going to paint this one flat black like one of the X-planes. I might try to paint the nose cone to have windows, so the pilot can see and add a yellow NASA decal to the vertical stabilizer.
Please let me help repay the favor sometime in the near future!

A few days in and it's looking good so far. I upscaled the rocket to a 66mm body tube, installed the 24mm motor mount, coated and sanded the balsa nosecone with watered down CWF, sanded the body tube, cut out the 2 wings and vertical stabilizer and installed them on the body tube. I used plywood fins since I was out of balsa. I think I'm going to have to add some significant nose weight to move the CG further forward. Looks like the CG would be terribly close to the CP. Thoughts Mike?

Starlight after a few days.jpg

Starlight 9Apr2018.jpg

Here's the finished model. Looking forward to a calm day to go and try this one out. Little worried about nose weight but, we'll see how she flies. A little shorter than original scale. I was lazy and did not want a coupler for 2 inches. I will post a flight video. CATO or not. Thanks for looking.

F-32 Starlight 1.jpg

F-32 Starlight 2.jpg

F-32 Starlight 3.jpg

F-32 Starlight 4.jpg

Very nice, very nice indeed. I like the color scheme, I'm now wishing I didn't use the stock finish. I have not had a chance to check the CP/CG I'll let you know where it is when I do.

Back