Any of you guys into kayak fishing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
I've done a ton of canoe fishing and a bit of kayak fishing. Finally sprung for a fishing kayak. Not a top end one and I plan on doing some mods to make it my own. The revues are mixed on older models but this one is the 3rd gen hull and much better tracking. Already added outriggers(very narrow)--

YAK1.jpg

YAK2.jpg

YAK3.jpg

Looks like a pretty nice open kayak for fishing. I kayak a fair bit on local lakes, mostly for exercise and to enjoy some peace and quiet. What little fishing I do is usually from shore, although I brought my gear out on the kayak a couple times. My kayak is a closed 14-footer so it was awkward, but I get the appeal.

I picked up a couple at a black sale back in the fall and I haven't had a chance to try em out yet. I have mine rigged with rod holders in front and back. The wife didn't want rod holders but...her loss. Also picked up a small trailer to haul them longer distances with.

new.jpg

I used to kayak fish offshore from the Texas coast. Mostly off of Padre Island National Seashore. We call it BTB, beyond the breakers. Paddle out from the beach 1 to 6 miles. We catch kingfish, ling, red snapper, sharks. We paddle out to oil rigs and catch all kinds of fish under the rigs. Fun times. Getting to old for that kind of stuff now.

I have a fishing kayak and go at least a dozen times a year. I'm limited to lakes and rivers around here but still lots of fun. I have a Pelican Catch120, very stable when when standing. Added a Garmin Striker 4dv to it too to help when on bigger lakes.

If you're a good swimmer and not going into anything too rough, consider a type V PFD. Night and day difference when fishing. I used to never wear my old one because it was too bulky and rubbed my arms when casting and paddling. I forget I even am wearing my type V.

Not yet. We're moving in June and after the move we've committed to buying a couple kayaks from our son's college ROTC classmate who is graduating this year and can't take them on active duty with him. At the same time, we're moving close to several large popular fishing lakes so this sounds like something I might want to try.

My only realy issue with fishing on a kayak (with a fly rod, both hands!) is that you get pulled / blown into the shore / weeds / trees etc..

For me, ideally is a pedal type kayak, so my hands are free at all times, and can 'hold position' when fighting 'the big one'.. I've seen 2, maybe 3, but they aren't cheap!

I tried it, but after a tussle with a 30 pound ling cod diving into the jetty rocks at the beginning of a ebb tide and being young and stupid I tried to land it...I haven't been fishing in a kayak since. Pride over took wisdom.

I have been talking myself into buying a canoe to start fishing from for almost a year but cant settle on a decent priced solo canoe, but would love to be able to get out into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have a fishing kayak and go at least a dozen times a year. I'm limited to lakes and rivers around here but still lots of fun. I have a Pelican Catch120, very stable when when standing. Added a Garmin Striker 4dv to it too to help when on bigger lakes.

If you're a good swimmer and not going into anything too rough, consider a type V PFD. Night and day difference when fishing. I used to never wear my old one because it was too bulky and rubbed my arms when casting and paddling. I forget I even am wearing my type V.

I have been looking at the auto/manual inflatable ones. It looks like there are a couple ways to go with these, a fanny pack style and vest type. When the fanny pack type gets inflated, you have to put it over your head. The vest type is already around the neck. What few stores we have that do carry them want $75 and up for them. Online looks like cheap-0 ones starting at $25-$30 on up. I'm thinking something around $40-$50 would be fine. Anyone have any experience with inflatables? Brands?

My only realy issue with fishing on a kayak (with a fly rod, both hands!) is that you get pulled / blown into the shore / weeds / trees etc..

For me, ideally is a pedal type kayak, so my hands are free at all times, and can 'hold position' when fighting 'the big one'.. I've seen 2, maybe 3, but they aren't cheap!

My brother in law has two pedal types. He has Hobbie's and Ive tried his and loved them, just cant afford one. I see on TV the electronics, power poles, and electric motors, some guys have on theirs, you could buy a small boat for that. My brother in law paid just under 2 grand for his 7 yrs ago.

I have been looking at the auto/manual inflatable ones. It looks like there are a couple ways to go with these, a fanny pack style and vest type. When the fanny pack type gets inflated, you have to put it over your head. The vest type is already around the neck. What few stores we have that do carry them want $75 and up for them. Online looks like cheap-0 ones starting at $25-$30 on up. I'm thinking something around $40-$50 would be fine. Anyone have any experience with inflatables? Brands?

This is the one I got from Amazon for $90 a few years ago. I'm "Rocket Man Medium" (6'0, 235#) and it fits me with room to spare. When it deploys, its just like a normal full size life jacket and you don't have to do anything like adjust it around your neck which is one of the things I wanted since I kayak rivers that can be slightly "bumpy" now and then. The recharge kit is $19 so its not bad at all if it gets deployed. If you're on calm waters, maybe the fanny-pack type will work for you but I wanted a vest. Also check with your AHJ (mine is the DNR) on what is required for human powered boaters (canoe, kayak, paddle board, etc). We're required to have a PFD and a type V only counts if it is actively being worn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a ton of canoe fishing and a bit of kayak fishing. Finally sprung for a fishing kayak. Not a top end one and I plan on doing some mods to make it my own. The revues are mixed on older models but this one is the 3rd gen hull and much better tracking. Already added outriggers(very narrow)--

Thanks for starting this thread....I'd love to take one out on the sound down in the Outer Banks of NC. and stalk the speckled trout and channel bass, with a 9 wt. fly rod
I've done some reading...but haven't taken the plunge.

I used to kayak fish offshore from the Texas coast. Mostly off of Padre Island National Seashore. We call it BTB, beyond the breakers. Paddle out from the beach 1 to 6 miles. We catch kingfish, ling, red snapper, sharks. We paddle out to oil rigs and catch all kinds of fish under the rigs. Fun times. Getting to old for that kind of stuff now.

Wow...I got kin down in Corpus Christi...I went sight casting for reds down near padre and Luguna Madre....what a nice experience that was.
Much more difficult than I thought.

OP- "Any of you guys into kayak fishing?"

Haven't tried it. What kind of bait do you use for kayak?

reminds when the boss asked if I like 'ice fishing'?

I said: "No, I'm not that good. To cast & hit that little hole each & every time.."

My other Hobby/Sport is Bass fishing:

I have a 14ft John boat set up as a bass'in boat but it's too much for me alone to set up, I also have a 17ft canoe from Scouting days but again it's a little too much for me alone and I haven't paid for getting numbers so I could use it with a trolling motor.
I don't trust myself with a kayak out on some of the rivers and larger lakes in my area so.

When I retired I went looking for a one man fishing boat that I'd be able to set-up and fish from on just about any lake or river alone.
I ended up purchasing a Sea Eagle 285fpb which is a 9'0" x 4'-0" one man inflatable pontoon bassin boat. Set Up with Sonar/fish finder, bow deck & anchor system, raised seat, 50lb thrust trolling motor and 105amp/hr battery I usually have 5 rods and gear with me. It takes about 45minutes to set-up and an hour to take apart & stow (being tired). but is pure Joy to fish from even in high wind and heavy waves.
The thing is so stable in the water my 300lb frame can standup and fish in the heaviest of wind and wave action. Since adding the 50lb thrust trolling motor I actually leave a wake when running on high. It's a Nify little water craft.

Sea Eagle 285fpb-Lp01a_OutFitted SideView (MyrtleGroveLake,MD.)_03-15-2016.JPG

Sea Eagle 285fpb-Lp01b_Head-on Anchor DeckView(MyrtleGroveLake,Md.)_03-15-16.JPG

Sea Eagle fpb-Lp02f1_Rolling To Ramp_04-19-16.JPG

Sea Eagle fpb-Lp02f6_Floating & retrieve wheels Lake Brittle,Va_04-19-16.JPG

Sea Eagle fpb-Lp02g2_Close Ready for boarding, Lake Brittle,Va_04-19-16.JPG

Sea Eagle-Lp06a_Fishing w New Trolling Motor & Battery_09-21-16.jpg

We have a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak, but I have never fished from it:
parker%20kyack.jpg

It's very stable and rated for white water, but I would probably put a hook through it if I tried fishing.
We use it for bird watching.

from foxnews.com

good thing it was only a sturgeon, not an alligator gar like we have around here...

Sturgeon nearly sinks kayak on Snake River in Idaho

Two Idaho men caught a “monster” 8-foot sturgeon while kayak fishing last weekend.

Steve Carroll of Caldwell and Bryce Thompson of Twin Falls were fishing on Snake River last Saturday when the duo caught the fish.

The sturgeon took nearly an hour to reel in, Carroll, 32, told Fox News on Friday. Once they landed the fish, the men measured the sturgeon and determined it was 8-feet long and 3-and-a-half feet around. That’s significantly larger than the average sturgeon, which typically measures 6-and-a-half feet long, according to the National Wildlife Federation.

“It was an awesome experience,” Carroll said, adding that this particular stugeron was the biggest one he's landed to-date.

The moment was especially exciting for Thompson, Carroll said, as Saturday was his first time fishing for sturgeon from a kayak.

After viewing his YouTube channel, Thompson reached out to Carroll to learn how to fish for stugeron using this method, opposed to standing on a river bank. Carroll was more than happy to teach Thompson because “igniting the passion in other people,” is one of his favorite aspects of the sport, he said.

After taking measurements, the two released the fish back into the water (it is illegal in Idaho to take a sturgeon out of the water, Carroll said).

Next time, Carroll said he hopes to catch a 10-foot sturgeon he's been chasing after in the same area.

"It’s a huge draw for me; it’s a passion of mine to get out and explore the waters,” he said.

Was talking with one of my co-workers about the Steve Carroll, evidently they regularly catch large sturgeon (He's known as Sturgeon Steve, and another guys known as the Sturgeon General, Jim fishes with them pretty regulary), he said what made that article news worthy was that they got such a great photo to go with since catching larger sturgeon isnt uncommon. We have half a dozen guys in my group at work who are kayak fishermen and most of them have the Hobie kayaks ( Mirage model iirc, about $3k each) they also work with injured Veterans to get them into the outdoors.

I know they are popular, but not for me. The fishing kayaks are now decked out like mini bass boats. They are heavy, not easily carried/portaged, and you need a decent-sized truck or trailer to haul them around. With all that, I would just as soon go with a small jon boat or Micromeister's rig for fishing and be more comfortable.

I'll take a canoe any day and still be very stealth about it. My 25-year old fiberglass weighs just 55 lbs. Modern Kevlar canoes weigh far less. I can sit or stand, easily carry gear, have better sight lines into the water, and more leverage on big fish.

reminds when the boss asked if I like 'ice fishing'?

I said: "No, I'm not that good. To cast & hit that little hole each & every time.."

Good one. Just be sure you keep what you catch on ice so it stays fresh. Best if kept cold until you can warm it slightly with a beverage.

For those who are balance-challenged, try a duck boat. It is like a wide kayak. Plus it doubles as a duck boat.

For those who are balance-challenged, try a duck boat. It is like a wide kayak. Plus it doubles as a duck boat.

+1, that's my plan, they have plenty of freeboard and are stable, the wind seems to have less effect on them than most people would think. I have been looking at some of Devlin Boats plans maybe a Black Brandt II 14'.

I have a pontoon boat that is more suitable for fishing. I also have an inflatable kayak. So far, no fishing from that but maybe someday. I do love to be on the water.

I gotta tell ya,I don't get the part of adding so much stuff --you should have got a boat! The whole idea is to keep it simple. I'm keeping mine basic. I'll keep the option open for an electric motor, but for the moment, I just don't see the need. That whole box with everything but the kitchen sink on the ass end just makes my head shake. I can see loading the kayak with camping gear and such--that makes sense--for a long trip. As far as fishing goes, you pretty much know what your going after. Take what you need and use IT! You should be a minimalist! I've been down the bass boat road as well as the small boat and canoe and kayak. One observation-- bigger and more power means you move around more and don't work an area. My guess is, a lot of guys venture out and try to make the kayak do what bigger boats do. You don't see this with canoes for some reason. Maybe those guys just automatically graduate up and move on. I suspect , from my experience, it's easier to move down the scale than up. Ehhhh-just my thoughts. I'll get more pics out of the finished (simple) kayak in a couple of days---H

Back