1/2" launch rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurkey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a 1/2" launch rod for my spanky new Cosmodrome Vostok. All of my MPR kits use either a 3/8" rod or have been converted to use a launch rail, unfortunately the Vostok does not lend itself well to converting to use a rail since I don't want to hack a square channel through the boosters. Once upon a time I found a company that sold a 2 piece 8' 1/2" launch rod, with an optional 2' extender piece, but I can no longer find a link to it.:mad::mad:

I've checked my local Home Depot and they have 3' pieces of 1/2" hollow aluminum tubing, but I'm a little squeamish trying to figure out how to attach that myself and still keep the thing straight. I've also checked local welding supply places (I got my 3/8" rod from one) but all of their 1/2" stock have some slight bends 'n kinks. Ideally I'd like a 2-piece rod since I don't want to carry around a 6'-8' long piece of rod. I've also considered a carbon fibre rod but I'm worried that the heat of an HPR motor would destroy it in a hurry. Any ideas? Any links to companies still selling 1/2" rods?

McMaster-Carr sells all kinds of raw materials. They would have 1/2" round barstock in stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum, brass, or just about any other common material.

https://www.mcmaster.com

Check your local hobby store. They usually carry a variety of metal rods.

Found it:

https://www.rattworks.net/accessories.html

McMaster-Carr is awesome, sadly I live in Canada and have gotten boned on shipping costs when I've ordered from them in the past. :( I forgot to mention that I also checked my local hobby stores as well, they did have solid aluminum tubing (no steel) but it was in 3' sections so I woulda had to figure out how to join them together, or have them machined to screw together. I didn't think of the metal recycling centre, I may give them a call to see what they have.

I tried searching the amazon.ca site, but it will only show me books in response to my search query.
Yeah, Amazon.ca is nothing like what you lucky Yanks have access to on Amazon.com. :confused2::(;) I just tried ordering one of those rods to see what would happen and it said it couldn't ship to my address. I appreciate the links though, hopefully someone will be able to make use of them.

Find a machine shop in your area and ask if they have or will order a rod for you.

Try Princess Auto if you have one in your local.Look in yeller pages under "metal" should find something.

Cheers

Paul T

Check out metalsupermarkets.com. It looks like there are two in the Edmonton area. They're pretty diverse in terms of what they stock, so 1/2" round wouldn't be a problem. No mininum quantity, and they cut to length what you need so you don't get charged for the entire piece of bar. You would still have to find a machine shop if you wanted to make it a two piece rod though.
Hope this helps...

I believe you might want to get a 7/16 inch rod. I could be wrong but I don't think the 1/2 inch rod will work with a 1/2 inch lug.

I believe you might want to get a 7/16 inch rod. I could be wrong but I don't think the 1/2 inch rod will work with a 1/2 inch lug.

If you are using Loc launch lugs--1/2 inch lugs will work just fine. I have at least 8 rockets using Loc 1/2 inch lugs--and I use them on a 1/2 inch rod. Just don't paint the rod--I did--a bad idea. Also, make sure the lug is perfectly round when you epoxy it to the rocket. That is important only if you surround the entire lug in epoxy--I do. P.S. rails are the work of the devil.

Last edited:
We normally stock 1/2 rods made from 303 or 304 stainless!
We are currently out but could have some in soon.
If you do want one see our web page for pricing and
call the store saturday to order the rod !!

If you are using Loc launch lugs--1/2 inch lugs will work just fine. I have at least 8 rockets using Loc 1/2 inch lugs--and I use them on a 1/2 inch rod. Just don't paint the rod--I did--a bad idea. Also, make sure the lug is perfectly round when you epoxy it to the rocket. That is important only if you surround the entire lug in epoxy--I do. P.S. rails are the work of the devil.
I assume that the Cosmodrome Vostok needs the large rod because of the conical shape that the 4 boosters produce at the base. Using an external set of launch lugs or rail buttons would require adding some substantial stand-offs to the exterior of the model, which would totally ruin the scale look. Am I right that the lugs are internal, then, and the rod will fit inside the Vostok? I don't see any way to use an external rail, or any good way to use an internal one, with this rocket. A large diameter steel rod, fit internally, would definitely be what you would need for it, and I assume that is how the kit has been designed.

I assume that the Cosmodrome Vostok needs the large rod because of the conical shape that the 4 boosters produce at the base. Using an external set of launch lugs or rail buttons would require adding some substantial stand-offs to the exterior of the model, which would totally ruin the scale look. Am I right that the lugs are internal, then, and the rod will fit inside the Vostok? I don't see any way to use an external rail, or any good way to use an internal one, with this rocket. A large diameter steel rod, fit internally, would definitely be what you would need for it, and I assume that is how the kit has been designed.

Nope. The lugs are external. I had thought about making them internal but I just couldn't get it to pan out. They are indeed on standoffs. The bottom one isn't too bad, well hidden by the boosters. The reason for the 1/2" lugs is that it weighs 3.4 pounds and uses an H242.

vos lugs.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. The lugs are external. I had thought about making them internal but I just couldn't get it to pan out. They are indeed on standoffs. The bottom one isn't too bad, well hidden by the boosters. The reason for the 1/2" lugs is that it weighs 3.4 pounds and uses an H242.
Oh, well. It was a thought, anyway. I definitely want to get that kit... someday (after I get HP certified). There isn't another one like it anywhere!

Oh, well. It was a thought, anyway. I definitely want to get that kit... someday (after I get HP certified). There isn't another one like it anywhere!

Am i glad I got one when they came out a few months ago.BOY...those things didn`t last long ! This kit is most definately a winter project.Gotta be a million parts in that bag :eek:

Paul T

Latest posts

Back