What models for Estes Pro Series II composite engines???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
My local Hobby Lobby store has several Pro Series II 29mm engines on the clearance rack for about $7 each. (Yeah, $7...
1f632.png
😲
)

Will the Expedition, Star orbiter, or the Majestic fly with these motors? (They have these kits at Hobby Lobby.)

If not, can I get a recommendation on a model that will used these? I think they have F and G engines. I know they have the F50-4T.

Thanks,

Jon

Star Orbiter and Majestic both have 29mm motor tubes so... Yes ! :)

The Expedition has a 24mm motor tube so... No ! :(

Estes lists the currently available kits that use the PSII motors: https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/by-engine/pro-series-ii-motors

BTW, these motors are single use composite propellant motors that were manufactured for Estes by Aerotech. An F50 will put a Majestic up over 2000 feet so make sure you have the recovery real estate and your hiking shoes on. Also the 4 second delay may be a little short for the two models you mentioned. Those motors were ideal for the heavier (and unfortunately OOP) Leviathan, Argent, and Partizon.

Where are you located? I'd love grab some $7 composite motors!

Are you sure they’re composite? I’ve never seen HL carry composite motors... only the 29mm ProSeries II black powder motors.

UPDATE: Nevermind, read the motor you listed... guess my local one doesn’t carry them. The only ESTES I have that calls out a composite is the Argent.

It's these:

est9776.jpg

Might have misspoken about them being "composite," My focus over the years have been LPR engines, getting into these >D size is new territory to me.

Jon

If not, can I get a recommendation on a model that will used these? I think they have F and G engines. I know they have the F50-4T.

The bigger of the Aerotech 2.6" kits can run the F50-4T. The Mirage and the Astrobee D. Those kits are listed at 31oz and 28oz respectively and are ~$90.

The smaller 2.6" kits and all of their 1.9" kits need longer delays. Their 4" kits all call for G's.

Buy all you can for $7. These motors were discontinued at HL years ago, as were the Estes kits they flew in - the PSII kits.

Yep. The Aerotech/Estes F50 or G SU's are normally $20-$30 and require hazmat shipping. Even the 29mm RMS reloads are ~$15.

Back