The 840-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
LOL, I wonder what the insurance premiums would be. I'd call my auto insurance provider, but I'm afraid they'd raise my rate just for asking. :)

2018’s Top 10 Tech Cars: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon
This drag monster gives NASA-quality launches

https://spectrum.ieee.org/transport...-top-ten-tech-cars-dodge-challenger-srt-demon

Looking at the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, it’s easy to dismiss it as a knuckle-dragger, a relic of Detroit’s street-racing ’60s. But in my palpitating hands at the drag strip at the Lucas Oil Raceway (formerly Indianapolis Raceway Park), the Demon shows what deft application of modern technology can do: namely, enable a US $83,295 muscle car to accelerate faster than a $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder or a $2.7 million Bugatti Chiron. Yes, the Demon was born for drag racing, where it’s the fastest-accelerating production car in history, as certified by the National Hot Rod Association, with a 9.65-second quarter mile (0.4 kilometer). It will reach 30 mph in 1 second flat and smoke 60 mph (97 km/h) in 2.3 seconds, faster than any other car on this year’s list.

Every component is optimized for speed, from its barely street-legal Nitto tires to its 6.2-liter Hemi V-8. The 2,700-cc supercharger inhales atmosphere at 1,150 cubic feet (32.5 cubic meters) per minute. Fun fact: The engine’s thermal energy could, in theory, take a gallon of water from room temperature to boiling in 1 to 3 seconds, depending on your assumptions. Tea, anyone?

More production-car firsts: The transbrake, long used in professional drag racing, binds the output shaft of the eight-speed automatic transmission, allowing you to launch the Dodge without holding the mighty engine in check with the foot brake. Torque reserve is another key to NASA-quality launches. The belt-driven supercharger’s bypass valve closes to “prefill” the engine with 8 pounds per square inch of boost.

Another dashboard switch preps the Demon to run on 100-octane racing fuel, which unlocks the full 626 kilowatts (840 horsepower—you get “only” 808 hp on premium unleaded).

Then there’s the Power Chiller, which diverts refrigerant from the air conditioner to a finned heat exchanger. The chilled coolant then flows to the supercharger’s heat exchangers, reducing the temperature of the charge air and thus increasing its density, for a faster burn. Diverting all the A/C turned my Demon’s cabin into a sweaty sauna. But I was having way too much fun to care.

[video=youtube;9dfAMpxiMz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfAMpxiMz0[/video]

Matt LeBlanc drove one on Top Gear. It was hilarious. Toasted a Lamborghini awd Aventador at the drag strip...

It's impressive to see the Big Three belting out more HP today than even in the old days when these beasts ruled the streets in the 60'-70's. They made a damn smart move by reviving what the market has been hungry for for decades after Nader pretty well killed the image. The streets are purring again to the sound of brute HP rather than the frenetic squeal of rice burners.

I find it funny they are selling the cars to general public who only a few percent will ever actually use the car to its full potential . And they are not certified to run on the track the way they are either .

Eric

I find it funny they are selling the cars to general public who only a few percent will ever actually use the car to its full potential . And they are not certified to run on the track the way they are either .

Eric

What on the car needs to be certified by the NHRA?

Eric

I find the converse more frighting- someone with a fat load of cash but no track experience trying to contain that amount of power around town...there are so many videos of this on Youtube it's entertaining...[video=youtube;5Cw1bHMGOxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cw1bHMGOxg[/video]

You can do the same thing with mini vans of all things: [video=youtube;3FBNFMIpyD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBNFMIpyD0[/video]

You can do the same thing with mini vans of all things: [video=youtube;3FBNFMIpyD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBNFMIpyD0[/video]

Idiocy knows no bounds, but you have to admit, none of those were caused by an inadequate power:skill ratio!

Meh, it's ugly and most miatas would beat it on an autocross course.

This is turning into my favourite thread. I watch more car crash videos then I should. I feel they make me a better driver while laughing and dumb dumbs.

In that Mustangs Attack video, it looked like 3/4 of the crashes in the first 2 minutes were on the same stretch of road, all with lots of spectators. Was it a racing/cruising thing at that intersection?

Eric

Many people drive fast car slow. They not learn drive slow car fast, drive fast car faster. Mom gave me the keys to her AudI TT 08 when the Volvo S40T5 flooded itself. Her remarks were did not know Audi was so fast. LOL. That car felt like driving on eggshells to get it to go slow. Start turning off the traction control system by selection scroll or button, then use the plus icon with transmission shifted to the right in semi-auto DSG gearboxes. Torque the wheel to the right as the car wants to crook left on launch. Make sure you've got like twenty car lengths or more ahead because your going for a ride bud... Tell traffic CYA... Crap may save your life in a tough merger or emergency. Best to know when to drive a car fast and know how to do it.

Wait till somebody dumps a down pipe mod exhaust and stage tune upgrades onto it and breaks 1000 hp. Then I'll rofl at SRT with mods. Those garret ball bearing turbo upgrades made stock factory cars into world championship race cars.

Meh, it's ugly and most miatas would beat it on an autocross course.
I could beat it with a Volvo S40T5 on a windy gravel road. Because RALLY... They would Henk about SRT nice car and drive slow. Where I wouldn't care about beating up the paint on an Volvo old car. Just saying. +10 for Miata...

I had these painted original colors from back in the day. Custom paint shop mixed the colors and put them in a spray bomb for me. Paint cost more than the rockets. Go figure..

MOPAR OR NO CAR !!!

Purple Scarab 54 "Demon"
Green Hi Flier "Hellcat"

20170729_141324.jpg20170714_133003.jpgfin.jpg

Meh... In “street trim” (ie: normalish tires at normal pressures , pump gas and no burnout) it’s primary party trick is destroying said tires. In the most awesome and ‘murican of ways, but still...... If you want a race car, build a race car. I really don’t get the point of this outside of a marketing ploy. Maybe some people just want to buy their bragging rights (are they still bragging rights if you buy them?) but it’s much more impressive if you can get your ‘88 toyota tercel to run 10s - assuming you survive... And probably cheaper.

My 4wd daily driven sedan will go 0 to 60 in 4 seconds all day long without melting tires and can run 11s while scaring the living crap out of your passengers - if you really feel the need. All with the AC blowing ice cold. I’ve never once though: “I wish this was smokier and 10% faster...”

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I had a hard time with Martin Baker an ejection seat manufacturer. They have a new product that fits in a Marchetti SF-260 aerobatic light airplane. It would fit in any car easy. Lightweight too. It doesn't work at 0mph. I feel their product would save countless stunt pilot and dragster lives but they do not want to deal with civilian sales. There are aerobatic kit jets like ViperJet that need this product. I guess they don't want anybody role playing Austin Powers either. Oddly you can get a L-39 Albatross under exhibition category and IT has a "Russian" ejection seat installed but it is not as nice as Martin Baker. Everybody's okay with MSR entire airframe recovery chutes or dragster chutes but the second you mention ejection sets and write off the vehicle you get crazy quizzical looks and denial.

Some people like big numbers.
Some people like going fast in a straight line, over short distances
Some people like going fast in a straight line, over longer distances
Some people like going fast in circles or ovals
Some people like going fast in a windy, zig-zaggy way
Some people like going fast in a windy, zig-zaggy way, thru tight English country roads
Some people like going fast in a windy, zig-zaggy way, on dirt or snow

we're all different and like different things..

I, personally, will take nimble manoeuverability over sheer horsepower. Although I am impressed with how much hp one can get out of a car engine!

They are too fast to run without a roll cage installed. Dodge even displays the "denied" letter by NHRA in their ads.
That's exactly what I was thinking when the guy was doing the drag strip run in the video I linked to. Without a roll cage - no thanks...

I don't think any car doing 2.3 seconds 0-60 is meh, and it may be 10+% to get to 9.65 from 11 but we all know that is not trivial to do in a street legal car even with drag tires..I think it's neat that factories are building these.

Back