Tired of gloss white

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try something different for my next paint job. I'm about to start my primer and body work on my Snarky and I'm not wanting to go with gloss white. but something a little different. I would still like to stay with white, but maybe semi gloss or matte finish. I'll be using vinyl decals and gloss red on the nose cone.

Any suggestions?

Hey Dan, paint it gloss and after you put on the decals, clear it with satin or flat---H

Hey Dan, paint it gloss and after you put on the decals, clear it with satin or flat---H

For me painting some rockets...ones with wings seem difficult to get a uniform gloss and trying to avoid "dry" or "overspray" areas.

Hornet it sounds like a good idea. I might test it out on some old body tubes and see if I like it.

Beware: Be sure the paint has cured properly, and that the clear is compatible with the base coat before applying a clear coat. Many have experienced a ‘wrinkle finish’ when overcoating with clear too soon.

I am personally a fan of eggshell to flat black paint for rockets. It really makes accent colors on fins and nose cones pop. As a bonus, it hides surface imperfections really nicely.

I've been painting all my rockets with satin paint lately. I really like it, but haven't painted any white.

Yeah, not quite gloss, not quite flat. It doesn't show up well in photos, but they might give you an idea.

139.JPG

150.jpg

156.JPG

160.JPG

184.JPG

171.JPG

. As a bonus, it hides surface imperfections really nicely.

whenever i refinish floors for someone, i always encourage a satin finish for that very reason- scratches dont show as they would in gloss.
the home im living in has seen a child from birth to 4 years old. if i had refinished the floors in gloss before he was born, these floors would look horrible.

What do folks use for a good UV-resistant satin clearcoat these days? I have Krylon UV-resistant clear for gloss and matte, but I don't believe they make satin. Usually use Future for gloss actually.

I've been pondering whether to go matte or satin with my IRIS-T build. Matte is more scale appearance, satin easier to keep clean. Either way it'll be gloss paint underneath to accommodate decal application.

When it comes to waterslide decals, having a gloss paint layer beneath it reduces silvering. Silvering is caused by small air pockets trapped under the decal in the texture of the paint layer below. Matte (or flat), and semi-gloss paint finishes have a slightly rougher texture than gloss. After applying the decals, a layer of a matte clear or semigloss clear can be used to achieve the desired finish.

Back