Glitter paint base color?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score
I finished my LOC Precision Warlock and coated it in primer and then black. My next step is to coat it with Rustoleum Glitter in the color Multicolor Purple, and finally clear coat. I'm hoping for a "galaxy" effect.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/glitter/

Some of the other threads I've read on here from years ago suggest that using a similarly-colored base coat works best. So now I'm questioning my use of a black base. I understand the glitter probably won't pop like it would if it was layered over a brighter color, but that's not really my goal. I'm thinking "milky way in the night sky."

Has anyone done anything like this?

I just did something like this for my L3 project, I wanted a metalic style paint job. Found krylon glitter spray paint at hobby lobby however at $9.00 a can for a 10' 5" diameter rocket it would be rediculous. So i found a krylon color to match as a base for $3.00 at walmart. I experimented with different ways of coating and wet sanding, unfortunately one half of the rocket came out better than the other half lol.

Assuming your primer job is good my best method for the glitter is to first use a similar color for a base.
Wet sand with 400, wash dry then use your glitter
The glitter didn't leave any kid of smooth finish, this is were i changed techniques between each half. In the end it was better not to wet sand the glitter instead just clear coat, do 3 coats let dry.
Then i wet sanded with 400,800,1000 and applied final clear coat.

I like my final result with that method, wet sanding the glitter i ended up removing to much of it because it didn't feel smooth, learning mistake. I only used 1 can of the glitter, 2 cans of a red to match, and like 4 cans of clear coat, but only because i experimented. Before i did the rocket i tested the colors on poster board, i would suggest that to see if it gives you the effect you want
010.jpg

I've been really happy with Krylon Glitter over a white base, never tried it on black.

Best answer though is to try all your options out on test scraps (primed just like your rocket will be) and see which one you personally like better.

Thanks for the input. The rocket is currently coated in Rusto flat black, and I have Rusto glitter multi-color purple and clear coat ready to go. Per your sensible advice I'll try them out on a scrap and see how it looks.

In my head I can see this looking exactly as I envisioned, and I like it. It goes against the conventional wisdom but I'm eager to see what it looks like.

I really like seeing these glitter rockets.

I was able to get the desired look:

attachment.php

Thanks. I'll get some better photos without the glare of the paint room lights once it's dry.

I purposely kept the glitter coat somewhat light because I wanted a lot of black to show through. I thought it would be tricky to get even coverage but it sprayed well. Once the clear coat went on the fire really popped.

Maybe next time I'll try the color shift.

Calling all glitter-experts - I need a bit of help with glitter paint.
I am painting my daughter's Estes Scorpion, and went in to add pink glitter on top of a well cured layer of pink Rustoleum paint + primer coat.
The pieces did not get uniform glitter layer adhesion, with about 1/2" wide surface patches where glitter flakes simply did not stick, and slid right off. The rest of the surface area is nicely covered:

IMG_20180404_224343.jpg

I did go back for the second coat, and again, those mysterious patches persisted.
Glitter paint does not sand off easily, so I cut out two more replacement decorative tubing pieces and will paint them again tonight.

Any advise on how to avoid a similar outcome?

a

Did you spray it outside? Cold can effect it. I also use very fine sandpaper on the base color, like 500 grit, with a very smooth finish the glitter may not bond.

Potential issue 1: Paint+Primer combo. I've never used one but I've heard they're not as good as straight primer then straight paint.

Potential issue 2: Gloss finish on the Paint+Primer combo. Once a gloss finish dries it doesn't take additional coats as well as flat. I no longer use gloss paint. I use all flat to maintain toothiness on each coat. I then nuke it with clearcoat at the end for shine and durability.

Potential issue 3: To me those patches suggest contamination from skin oils or the environment.

Was the glitter can THOROUGHLY shaken and mixed?

My last rocket above followed this formula (All Rustoleum products):
Day 1: 3 coats of gray primer (next day sanded to remove imperfections, wiped clean)
Day 2: 3 coats of flat color (next day lightly sanded to remove imperfections, wiped clean)
Day 3: 1 new coat of flat color, then 1 coat of glitter (additional glitteriness could be achieved with additional coats, that wasn't my goal on this job).
Day 4: At least 10 coats of clearcoat

This was done in a paint room at work at about 65 degrees, <30% humidity, with four high-intensity lamps overhead.

I also put it on a horizontal jig with a rod through the motor mount where I could turn it 120 degrees at a time by touching the masked exposed motor tube. At no point in the painting process did any surface of the rocket touch anything.

Each day I applied coats 10-20 minutes apart. First coats were light to establish a tacky base for the next coat. Second coat filled in gaps and built on the tacky surface. Third coat was the heavier finish coat where complete coverage was achieved, ideally with no runs.

I personally don't go the extra mile and wet-sand with ultra-fine sandpaper in order to achieve a mirror finish. If it's relatively attractive and smooth I'm fine with it. I figure the more time I put into a flawless finish, the more likely I am to CATO the thing on its first launch. :D

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a paint expert, I just know what has worked for me.

If I were in your shoes with the Scorpion, I would lightly sand it with 400 grit, wipe it clean, lay down a couple new coats of that gloss primer/paint, but then apply the glitter within a half hour while the gloss is still tacky. FWIW the glitter leaves a sandpaper-like finish, so you probably want to clear coat it at least a few times to seal in the glitter and improve the smoothness.

I did a test shot of the glitter paint and shot automotive clear over it. OMG!! Going to paint one of my current project with it.

Thanks for this thread!

id personally say that its a chemical reaction between the 2 different cans of paint. Because they are the same MFG doesnt mean they play nice with each other. Ive seen it in the past myself personally.
I also am religious about pre warming ALL my paint. Put the can in a container of HOT HOT water for a while.. To increase the pressure in the can, shake can.. and repeat unitl your confident that the internal paint is same as external temp of spray can.

Back