source for tiny decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anybody who is currently producing custom decals on a tiny scale? Vinyl is too ungainly for micros, Excelsior is gone, and I've never heard of Tango Papa doing decals on that scale.

And please...don't say "do them yourself". I wouldn't be asking this question if I could do them myself.

Thanks.

Is there anybody who is currently producing custom decals on a tiny scale? Vinyl is too ungainly for micros, Excelsior is gone, and I've never heard of Tango Papa doing decals on that scale.

And please...don't say "do them yourself". I wouldn't be asking this question if I could do them myself.

Thanks.

Tango Papa did some custom work for me... How tiny is "tiny"?

LW I'm not sure if anyone is currently making micro decals commercially.
As you know I've been designing and printing my own for decades. To be sure there is a learning curve to printing your own decals but it is not all that difficult if you have just about any ink-jet printer and some ink-jet water slide decal paper. I strongly suggest paper for Micro Mark.com as they package such that every single sheet is protected during shipment.
I've found that after printing a single coat of Krylon #1306 Workable Fixatif sets the ink, when dry I follow this with a wet coat of Krylon #1305 UV Resistant Gloss Clear before cutting the sheet into individual decals.

Sorry if you already have this info but I though since we really don't know of anyone commercially making waterslide decals for micro project that it was worth the typing.

LW I'm not sure if anyone is currently making micro decals commercially.
As you know I've been designing and printing my own for decades. To be sure there is a learning curve to printing your own decals but it is not all that difficult if you have just about any ink-jet printer and some ink-jet water slide decal paper. I strongly suggest paper for Micro Mark.com as they package such that every single sheet is protected during shipment.
I've found that after printing a single coat of Krylon #1306 Workable Fixatif sets the ink, when dry I follow this with a wet coat of Krylon #1305 UV Resistant Gloss Clear before cutting the sheet into individual decals.

Very timely for me, I'm getting ready to produce my first set of home-made decals. Just saved me a post.

How heavy of a coat is the Fixatif? What exactly is the difference between Fixatif and the gloss clear?

[edit]Sorry didn't mean to hijack LW's thread. Will take this discussion elsewhere after this one.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack LW's thread. Will take this discussion elsewhere after this one.

You may as well continue here. Evidently, there is no commercial source and as I said in my initial message, making my own is not an option. It looks like I am done here. The thread is all yours...

Very timely for me, I'm getting ready to produce my first set of home-made decals. Just saved me a post.

How heavy of a coat is the Fixatif? What exactly is the difference between Fixatif and the gloss clear?

[edit]Sorry didn't mean to hijack LW's thread. Will take this discussion elsewhere after this one.

Workable Fixatif is a setting clear designed for pastel, pencil and charcoal drawings. it Breaths much better then any clear coat period. As such it allowsthe user to add to or over print or draw directly on the first coat. Not that important making decal but very important to us Artists;) It is a thinner sealing coat that dries quickly and does not harm the unlaying ink.
All Clears Coats Yellow very quickly when exposed to any UV source including indoor CFL's and such. UV resistant clears have been on the market now for about 10 years I have samples hanging outdoors in southern sun to test the yellowing prevention and am happy to report that even almost ten year of direct sunlight have not shown the slighest hint of yellowing. I strongly suggest if you think you must use an over all Clear coat on your rockets or want to keep your home made decals from yellowing use either Krylon 1305 UV resistant Gloss Clear or 1309 UV resistant Matte clear. Matte clear should only be used on decal to go on rocket that are intended to end up matte. But thats another completely different story.

Krylon UV Clears(1305Gloss,1309Matte,1306Fixatif)_02-05-16.JPG

Last edited:
Back