New MMX kit coming soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to Randy... was OK'd to spill the beans... 4 kits will be coming out soon.

Sometimes it's hard for us to keep Randy reeled in.

What MMX kits would you guys like to see produced. Not guaranteeing anything of course, but I'll pass on the word.

Sometimes it's hard for us to keep Randy reeled in.

What MMX kits would you guys like to see produced. Not guaranteeing anything of course, but I'll pass on the word.

Personally, I'd like to see reasonably straight-forward designs (because they fly better) but also really recognizable subjects (e.g. scale or classic kit designs). As far as classic kit designs, I like the ones which have more going on than just 3FNC. The BBZ is a perfect example of such a design.

For scale subjects, I'd like to see MMX kits for Sandhawk, or Black Brant (II or IV), or Nike-Ajax, or Asp

For classic kits, how about: Laser X, Vulcan, Constellation, Solar Sailer, S.C.R.A.M, Wolverine, Saros, Cherokee D

Or Nova Payloader. I second the idea of a Constellation downscale to MMX. DRM and Goblin are good ideas as well. And, of course the classic 3FNC, the Alpha (or Centuri Astro-1).

So - Jim - he let you say there are four, isn't going to let you say which ones? Tease!

That the kit number is for the BBZ is KMX-06 kind of suggests there are others in the pipeline somewhere..... :D

After snooping around some more I found instruction sheets for the MX Hawk, MX Goblin, MX Fat Boy, as well as the MX BBZ:

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-instructions-mx-blue-bird-zero-sem-ikmx-06/

I guess these are the 4 kits K'Tesh mentioned. A Micro Maxx Hawk boost glider would be great. Right now there's only one that I know of, the Nanite by Fliskits. And a two stager down the road would be terrific, making use of the NE motors.

The reason I didn't say anything about the other 3 kits was that I wasn't told what they are. I've got the instructions now, and will begin simming them when I can (tomorrow is the beginning of my true "work week").

And no... the Omega isn't one of them (But I'd support that one being added)

I doubt that KMX-11 is the Hawk boost glider. I think it is more likely to be the Army Hawk missile.

Well, there's a construction tool, a balsa fin set, and a basswood fin set for the MX Hawk. I'm guessing the tool is to set the dihedral on the wings, and the basswood set is for the keel for the glider. We'll see. Either one would be great.

LW Bercini, you're wrong. I know for a fact. I think you guys will like what comes out in the future. the Instructions haven't been written for the Omega because the booster motors aren't available yet, but the prototype has been built and flown.

LW Bercini, you're wrong. I know for a fact. I think you guys will like what comes out in the future. the Instructions haven't been written for the Omega because the booster motors aren't available yet, but the prototype has been built and flown.

Micro Maxx NE ( No Ejection) booster motors have been available for some time direct from Quest:

https://www.questaerospace.com/Micro_Maxx_Engine_NE_6_pk/p4193205_16860070.aspx

I use them to fly my Fliskits Doubles MMX two stager.

eRockets has them on order but is waiting on them to be shipped from Quest. That's why they are holding off on releasing the kit.

Ya caught me Jim.

Until we can fly the Omega with the correct motors, Randy won't even think about releasing it. I know I wouldn't want to either.

Ya caught me Jim.

Until we can fly the Omega with the correct motors, Randy won't even think about releasing it. I know I wouldn't want to either.

Don't know if you've used them before, but just to give you guys a heads up: while the NE motors don't have an ejection charge, they DO have a delay. So the sustainer stage may hit apogee and slide back before igniting. Which means it may not be vertical when it ignites. Very nerve racking.

Don't know if you've used them before, but just to give you guys a heads up: while the NE motors don't have an ejection charge, they DO have a delay. So the sustainer stage may hit apogee and slide back before igniting. Which means it may not be vertical when it ignites. Very nerve racking.

The only MMX two-stager I've flown is something I made out of two Quest Boingos....and the delay before second stage ignition was actually pretty cool. But I can see with a heavier/draggier model it might be "interesting".

An MMX version of the Groove Tube would be awesome! Tube fin rockets (especially Centuri clones) rule!

Here is a 13mm Groove Tube cardstock template, I guess you could print this up at 50% and roll the tubes with a 1/4" dowel instead of 1/2" and might as well make the MMX version of the Booster 8 to go with it. But rolling the paper nose cone that small would be pretty tough, I used an Estes PNC BT5 cone for this one from the mini nose cone pack.

View attachment 288806

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...r-Goony-quot-Sting-quot&p=1531523#post1531523

Back