Loki 38mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoAP

Reaction score
Looking for the best way to start doing some MPR launches. I was looking at the 38-120 and 240 Loki hardware. I like the lack of hazmat. Any thoughts? Am I going the right way?

Thanks for the input.

It's a great choice, for sure. I personally would supplement w. AT 29/40-120, that's the other big no-haz case.

But as usual, if you have a local vendor definitely go with whatever they carry.

It's a great choice, for sure. I personally would supplement w. AT 29/40-120, that's the other big no-haz case.

But as usual, if you have a local vendor definitely go with whatever they carry.

I'm with dhbarr on this one most of my MPR stuff is 24/40 or 29/40-120, no Loki yet (soon to be remedied I hope), but the Loki 120 and 240 have some great loads.

I am a Loki zealot too. Easy to build, great flights, and somehow just "angrier" than other equivalent size motors...they just look and sound "like a rocket". Plus if (when) you decide to get more extreme in your flights, you will already have experience with the maker of the baddest 38s out there.

Well it sounds like I’m on the right track. Can’t wait to see what all the Loki noise is about!

mmmm did someone say loki 38/120? Love this thing.
14117524945_4595453a8a.jpg
27809821181_559a27212c.jpg
22465993892_9897af9e39.jpg
14946281202_eb4bd8c4ac.jpg

22285951940_c1cd96420a.jpg
28706596813_2fd5dd5c84.jpg

I kinda like this case. It's good times

You can get a Loki 38-480 I class load no hazmat. No fault there. I've got AT38-480, I like some of those reloads but my next cases will be Loki. That K-1127 looks sick.

No haz seems enticing, but when you're buying H or I reloads at $25-$50 each, the $30 charge doesn't seem like a while lot. CTI casings are much cheaper, especially the 38mm because there is no closure. If you get the 2 grain case and a spacer it costs $40. That will allow you to fly a wide range of G and H reloads. In that same order if you buy 5 reloads at an average cost of $25 then add on the $30 hazmat fee,y our still right around only $200 for 5 motors. With loki you will pay $80 for the case and about $27 for each reload and you are stuck with a limited range. 5 motors and the loki case costs $215. If I were you I would get the 1 CTI case (either 2 or 3 grain), then you can fly so many Gs and Hs. Make a big order with a variety of motors to make the hazmat worth it. As a bonus, the CTI reloads are easier to install so there is that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I fly them both. Check the thrust curves and pick what you like. Loki does not make any Smoky Sam type motor. So if that is what you like you have to look at CTI or AT. I like the thrust curves of Loki's better.

Simple answer. Yes you are in the right track. You will eventually see that using spacers for smaller cases isn't really the best route. Many reasons to have multiple cases. If you have the 29/40-120 then you are set for your MPR 29mm, grab the Loki 38/120 and life will be good.
Loki 38/240 loads are cheaper than CTI 2 grain. Loki does have drawbacks: Having to buy igniters separately, which adds to the cost, bring the price up around that of CTI. And no Smokey or Green propellants. But they have the Cocktail, and the best whites I've ever seen.
And the 38/120 loads are 2 to a pack. If you're like me, you can't buy a large order of motors in one go, so HAZMAT is a silly option.
My first case to buy was a CTI 38 1G..and I've never flown it.

I used to fly a lot of Lokis. I still enjoy watching them but they are not really for me anymore mostly because the nozzles. I HATE cleaning them. I'm more in the use it and throw them away AT style. That said, nothing beats a Loki white. Even in the 120 case they seem to punch well above their weight. My Minnie Magg loved the I405's.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

+1 on the Loki, I don't fly anything but. Sold all my AT and CTI.

TA

Back