ESTES Super Alpha - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pull_and_Twist

Weekend Rocketeer
Reaction score
Started an ESTES Super Alpha build today... figured I'd toss together a build log like I've been doing for most of my rockets lately.

Day 1:

Always start with my parts inventory... this build will be pretty straightforward. I am going to replace the plastic chute with nylon, skin the fins, use a kevlar and elastic fabric shock cord.

IMG_1154.jpg

Started with the engine mount first. Cut a little notch into the forward centering ring as I plan to run the kevlar shock cord around the motor tube.

IMG_1155.jpg

The construction was pretty straight forward. Followed the instructions and then attached the kevlar portion of the shock cord. I epoxied the kevlar knot with BSI 5-min. Also added CA to the inside aft of the motor tube.

IMG_1156.jpg

Decided to work on the body tube next. I used Elmers Woodfiller to get rid of the spirals.

IMG_1157.jpg

They were so tiny I only had to wait 15 mins for the filler to dry before sanding. Turned out great. Drew my fin and launch lug lines and test fit the balsa nose cone.

IMG_1159.jpg

Following that, I started prep work on the nose cone... beginning with 220 sanding and some coats of Polycrylic. I coated it 3 times, waiting two hours each layer and then sanding before the next one. This should make it more resistant to nicks and get rid of the grain.

IMG_1161.jpg

I then moved to working on the fins. Started sanding them on the balsa sheet.

IMG_1162.jpg

Marked them with tape for shaping the leading edge.

IMG_1164.jpg

Didn't take to long to get them where I want.

IMG_1165.jpg

It was finally time for skinning these things.

IMG_1166.jpg

Applied printer paper to both side of each fin and set it under weight. Now I just have to wait till those are dry to resume the build.

Day 2:

Today I started trimming the fins and attaching them after they had spent 24 hours drying under ~50lbs of weight.

IMG_1167.jpg

Firsts I use scissors to take off most of the excess paper.

IMG_1172.jpg

Then I go in closer with a sharp X-acto knife... making sure not to cut into the wood.

IMG_1173.jpg

Then I coat all the edges in CA... including the rounded portions of the leading edge. This lets me finish if off with sanding (220) and gives me a perfect fin.

IMG_1175.jpg

Then I used my modded ESTES Fin Jig to attach the fins with some ELMERS ProBond.

IMG_1177.jpg

I also epoxied the eyelet into the nose cone with some BSI 5-min.

IMG_1178.jpg

Tomorrow I will epoxy fillet the fins and add the launch lug. Maybe even glue in the motor mount.

Day 3:

Started epoxy fin filleting today.

I decided to use a 3/16" dowel to define my fillets on this rocket. Cut off two smallish pieces to use for marking and forming the epoxy. I rubbed pencil on the marking piece and ran it along the base of the fins to mark the fillets.

IMG_1181.jpg

I then taped off the rocket using my mark lines.

IMG_1183.jpg

Followed that by running 30-min epoxy into the crease and then running a clean piece of dowel along the crease to form the epoxy. Let the epoxy set for 10 mins and then I peeled up the tape.

IMG_1184.jpg

I used a level on the wing tips to make sure the fillets settled the same way... I did level it after taking the pic. :D

IMG_1185.jpg

I let the fillets cure for an hour before rotating the rocket and doing two more. Then repeated for the last set an hour after that.

When the fins where done I used 5-min epoxy to attach the launch lug.

IMG_1191.jpg

Day 4 should wrap things up and get it ready for paint.

Day 4:

Finished up filleting the launch lug today. Used the same process as the fins. Did one side at a time and then flipping to the other side an hour later.

IMG_1206.jpg

I then gave the aft centering ring a ProBond fillet to strengthen the connection.

IMG_1202.jpg

Finally I attached the elastic fabric shock cord to the kevlar portion. I epoxied the knots and then pulled the cord back into the rocket.

IMG_1200.jpg

I then assembled the thing so I can admire it... it's still missing paint, parachute and a nomex blanket.

IMG_1204.jpg

Once the Washington weather starts to cooperate I can start the painting process.

What is the weight of your Super Alpha? The catalog weight is listed at 2.2 ounces. The wood nose cone on mine is 1.6 ounces sealed and painted. I also upgraded the recovery system and added a thin-mil nylon parachute. Empty weight is 5.27 ounces making it marginal on a C6-3. I do fly it on 18mm D13-7 reloads, which is always fun.

Chas

What is the weight of your Super Alpha? The catalog weight is listed at 2.2 ounces. The wood nose cone on mine is 1.6 ounces sealed and painted. I also upgraded the recovery system and added a thin-mil nylon parachute. Empty weight is 5.27 ounces making it marginal on a C6-3. I do fly it on 18mm D13-7 reloads, which is always fun.

Chas

As it stands... 2.57 oz. That's without paint and nylon parachute though.

Here is mine on a C6-3 at the former DARS site in Frisco, TX. Barely had time to get the parachute out. Hence I am now using the D13-7.
I have two more kits with the Chinese tung wood nose cones. Probably upgrade to a 24mm mount.

Chas

Super Alpha Feb 2014.jpg

Back